Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overwatch - Blizzard's latest game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,920 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Think that was the same day me and Generic won basically 2 vs 6 cause the rest of our team say around the corner at a choke point me and him never let the oppo get to. Was an hilarious 5 mins. Lucio and Mie - the brick wall!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Clockwork Owl

The D.Va POP! Vinyl looks a bit odd alright. What's with the visible legs?

In other news... Symmetraaaaaa!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

On a level skill playingfield - Ana is a good counter.

She's actually just not. At low level Pharah play she's an ok counter, because the Pharah will just float around obviously waiting to die. A decent Pharah won't be such an easy target; the only way to counter her is to be constantly on the look out, and do nothing but focus on her when she appears. If you are doing that as Ana regardless of how good your shooting is, you can't be doing a good job as healer.

It has nothing to do with Ana's skill level, it is about how she should be spending her time.

I say this as someone with probably 60+ hours as Pharah: I have never, ever swapped off Pharah because an Ana was ruining my day. I've done it plenty of times because a Soldier decided he wanted to ruin my day, sometimes a McCree; never Ana.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

An Anna should not be focusing anyone on the opp tbh, one shot is all she should really get at range before someone else finishes the target of, annas kill all come on 200-250 health opponents and all involve a sleep dart tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Zillah wrote: »
    She's actually just not. At low level Pharah play she's an ok counter, because the Pharah will just float around obviously waiting to die. A decent Pharah won't be such an easy target; the only way to counter her is to be constantly on the look out, and do nothing but focus on her when she appears. If you are doing that as Ana regardless of how good your shooting is, you can't be doing a good job as healer.

It has nothing to do with Ana's skill level, it is about how she should be spending her time.

I say this as someone with probably 60+ hours as Pharah: I have never, ever swapped off Pharah because an Ana was ruining my day. I've done it plenty of times because a Soldier decided he wanted to ruin my day, sometimes a McCree; never Ana.

You either haven't come across any good ones, or for some reason (well... seems evident in this thread actually) people are too afraid to play Ana offensively.

Have a look at some high level Pharah mains or even pro games - Pharah barely exists in pro play. Something like a 4% pick rate. Yes a fair amount of that is due to Soldier being a huge hard counter and Soldier being the main DPS being played in the tank meta, but it's also because Ana is definitely always played as a support and has the ability to get in some serious damage on the Pharah also.

And I don't know how you're saying you can't do both as Ana... when that's actually what she excels at. As for how she should be spending her time - if your team is full HP, you should be shooting the enemy. Not pissing about shooting your darts into a full HP rein behind his 2000HP shield.

I'll give you another example - If you're playing as Lucio and you use your ult, you change to speed boosting at the same time because your healing is doing nothing. You're not healing anyone when your ult is in play, so for maximising your effectiveness, you change to speed boosting.

You need to adapt to the situation, not just be a braindead "I must do X because I am X". Yes, healing is priority number 1, you're not widowmaker, but you're not mercy either. You can use your nades as anti-healing, and you should be doing that just as much as on your own teammates.
    An Anna should not be focusing anyone on the opp tbh, one shot is all she should really get at range before someone else finishes the target of, annas kill all come on 200-250 health opponents and all involve a sleep dart tbh

Watch some top Ana players in grandmaster/top 500, because that's just wrong...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,102 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

You either haven't come across any good ones, or for some reason (well... seems evident in this thread actually) people are too afraid to play Ana offensively.

Have a look at some high level Pharah mains or even pro games - Pharah barely exists in pro play. Something like a 4% pick rate. Yes a fair amount of that is due to Soldier being a huge hard counter and Soldier being the main DPS being played in the tank meta, but it's also because Ana is definitely always played as a support and has the ability to get in some serious damage on the Pharah also.

And I don't know how you're saying you can't do both as Ana... when that's actually what she excels at. As for how she should be spending her time - if your team is full HP, you should be shooting the enemy. Not pissing about shooting your darts into a full HP rein behind his 2000HP shield.

I'll give you another example - If you're playing as Lucio and you use your ult, you change to speed boosting at the same time because your healing is doing nothing. You're not healing anyone when your ult is in play, so for maximising your effectiveness, you change to speed boosting.

You need to adapt to the situation, not just be a braindead "I must do X because I am X". Yes, healing is priority number 1, you're not widowmaker, but you're not mercy either. You can use your nades as anti-healing, and you should be doing that just as much as on your own teammates.

Watch some top Ana players in grandmaster/top 500, because that's just wrong...

Pharah isn't around in high level play because Solider is a hard counter and is picked in 95% of games as you said above.

At that level Solider and McCree have unbelievable aim and very rarely miss.

You can play Anna offensively but there are so many better characters to do that why pick someone to do a job that's just the best use of thier abilities.

I'd rather the Anna didn't focus DPS because they may miss some heals and possibly loose a player from your team because your focused on offense rather than healing?

Ana can be useful support dps, popping off a shot here and there when no one needs healing, but isn't a "counter" in the sense that she can do it on her own in the way that Soldier or McCree can. She can help. That's very different to it being her job.

I am not saying she should be pouring darts into undamaged team mates, but she should be shooting over their shoulders, keeping an eye out for sleep-dart targets, and getting ready to dump a grenade during a sudden emergency. She can't be watching the sky and doing her real job properly at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I don't even know how you'd attempt to control that with aiming on consoles, must be a joke.

Right analogue stick aims

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

I don't even know how you'd attempt to control that with aiming on consoles, must be a joke.

Works quite well too.

Works quite well too.

Given your preferrance to insta-lock Soldier I'll defer to your experience here, killfeed is lit up

• Advertisement

Given your preferrance to insta-lock Soldier I'll defer to your experience here, killfeed is lit up

Depends who I'm playing with. If it's one of the lads who hasn't had much time with the game, I'll let them choose Soldier. I CAN Reinhardt / D'Va / Torbjorn / Bastion / Zenyatta. But for comp, yeah I'm more comfortable with Soldier.

The consoles have built in aim assist.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    You can play Anna offensively but there are so many better characters to do that why pick someone to do a job that's just the best use of thier abilities.

I'd rather the Anna didn't focus DPS because they may miss some heals and possibly loose a player from your team because your focused on offense rather than healing?

I think you're getting me wrong here. I'm not saying full DPS Ana in the same way as Battle Mercy :pac: but you're not utilizing her to her full potential if you're not taking advantage of her DPS ability as well as her healing
    Ana can be useful support dps, popping off a shot here and there when no one needs healing, but isn't a "counter" in the sense that she can do it on her own in the way that Soldier or McCree can. She can help. That's very different to it being her job.
    Agree to disagree I guess. I think she can definitely do it on her own and as fast if not faster, and at longer range than both.
    She can't be watching the sky and doing her real job properly at the same time.

You can, you just haven't seen that level of play or attention yet... and it's a game with a massive FOV, it's not like you've got tunnel vision and need to be constantly looking upwards to spot Pharah. In most cases a Pharah is within the same field of view as everyone else. The scope animation is stupidly quick as is her fire rate (1.25/sec), and she has 10 rounds...
    Works quite well too.

Heh, you know what I mean. I was talking about controlling the recoil/spray that happens. I just don't see those fine precise movements being possible on consoles by using an analogue stick in the same way as a mouse with low sensitivity.
    The consoles have built in aim assist.

Ah...

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Sight808

Ana is one of my preferred heroes and yes she is great at taking a few shots at a phara who isn't skilled enough to use cover etc. However a whole defence built on your Ana trying to stop a Phara isn't a great plan. Ana can help, much in the way a discord orb can but it's not really her job, particularly when you have widow who can one shot and and mcree who can do it in two.

I CAN Reinhardt / D'Va / Torbjorn / Bastion / Zenyatta.

Oh thank god for that :pac: :P

Sight808 wrote: »
    Ana is one of my preferred heroes and yes she is great at taking a few shots at a phara who isn't skilled enough to use cover etc. However a whole defence built on your Ana trying to stop a Phara isn't a great plan. Ana can help, much in the way a discord orb can but it's not really her job, particularly when you have widow who can one shot and and mcree who can do it in two.

Two headshots, three headshots at distance, ez pz

Oh thank god for that :pac: :P

Yeah Yeah.

Turret behind the door on right into point A on Hanamura. No one looks there. POTG all day baby.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

You must be talking about consoles where people can't aim?

That's enough of that. Comments like these aren't helpful in any way, and no one wants any sort of pc vs console crap going on here.

Yeah Yeah.

Turret behind the door on right into point A on Hanamura. No one looks there. POTG all day baby.

Behind that rock in the middle is good too. People get caught on it as they run onto the point where there is usually a cluster-**** to distract them.

.... Or Soldier 76

......did you read what I said?

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »

That's enough of that. Comments like these aren't helpful in any way, and no one wants any sort of pc vs console crap going on here.

I'm not getting into any sort of PC vs console master race crap. There's legitimate major differences in what's meta or OP in the game on console and on PC due to the sheer fact that consoles have worse aiming mechanically. I'm not going to argue if people believe that or not, in my eyes it's is a fact because of the inbuilt aim assist.

I don't know if you do, but I sure as hell find that interesting and worthy of discussion.

And I have no idea what's wrong with my comment regarding the spray pattern/random spread that happens with S76 primary fire. On PC you can easily compensate for that with micro-adjustments, those same micro-adjustments aren't possible on console, especially not with an aim assist active. I don't entirely know how the aim assist works though, so maybe it makes it easier to burst fire more consistently?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Soldier isn't a hard-counter to Pharah - he's more of a soft-counter (until he gets Ult/Pharah tries to Ult).
    1v1 he won't win every fight.

McCree is better at sniping Pharah outta the sky IMHO

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Soldier isn't a hard-counter to Pharah - he's more of a soft-counter (until he gets Ult/Pharah tries to Ult).
    1v1 he won't win every fight.

I think it depends on the map. Oasis is an absolute beast for Pharah. High ceilings, lots of cover. A lot of other maps force Pharah beneath a ceiling and Soldier can cut her up at medium range.
    McCree is better at sniping Pharah outta the sky IMHO

I think this used to be the case but not after Soldier's damage buff.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Back playing Winston a lot again. The main concern is the as always, not losing the run of yourself and stopping yourself overcommitting to battles you can't win. Go for the Hanzo, Lucios and Mercy on the edge of the battlefield but jump out of battle with good McCrees and Zaryas etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I've been playing this game a long time but it was only last night I realised you could hook a riptire and then drag it towards your own team, getting everyone killed.

https://youtu.be/VH8xzv6Gtxk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

fixxxer wrote: »
    I've been playing this game a long time but it was only last night I realised you could hook a riptire and then drag it towards your own team, getting everyone killed.

Never seen that before. Sure it wasn't added to Hook 2.0 patch?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

madcabbage wrote: »
    Never seen that before. Sure it wasn't added to Hook 2.0 patch?

Nope, been there from the start. Just like D.Va's mech too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Benzino wrote:
    Nope, been there from the start. Just like D.Va's mech too.

I knew about the mech, pulled it to safety once or twice.

Hook 2.0 is pretty good. All of the death none of the bull****.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

fixxxer wrote: »

Done that when I was trying to hook someone else and the tyre came out of a corner; thankfully only killed myself though :pac:

• Advertisement

You can also do it with a dva mech, or last night my mate tried to boop it off the left side of the choke point, only to boop it infront of 3 of us

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement