Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overwatch - Blizzard's latest game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Aren't you great with your maths!

Better than you it would appear. :eek:

:D:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Got from rank 16 to 21 last night, got to use Soldier (Hes fun to use when you have a healer around you :D
    Also done a good bit of Mercy playing but im pretty sure i need to get alot better with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Got from rank 16 to 21 last night, got to use Soldier (Hes fun to use when you have a healer around you :D
    Also done a good bit of Mercy playing but im pretty sure i need to get alot better with her.

Options - Controls - Change dropdown to Soldier - "Show Allied Health Bars"
    Options - Controls - Change dropdown to Mercy - "Toggle Healing"

They help a lot

Also given you're on PS4 and only getting really used to things, now would be a great time to map Jump to R3 and Melee to X (for all heroes) and get used to it.
    I changed recently, it's a massive help.
    You can still melee, just generally melee is less useful than being able to jump around loads and avoid getting shot/sniped/killed

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Options - Controls - Change dropdown to Soldier - "Show Allied Health Bars"
    Options - Controls - Change dropdown to Mercy - "Toggle Healing"

They help a lot

Also given you're on PS4 and only getting really used to things, now would be a great time to map Jump to R3 and Melee to X (for all heroes) and get used to it.
    You can still melee, just generally melee is less useful than being able to jump around loads and avoid getting shot/sniped/killed

Ehhhh whats the toggle healing about?

Look at you with your remap to R3.... thats cute......... I will have jump on one of my extras on the Nacon :pac:

Ehhhh whats the toggle healing about?

Look at you with your remap to R3.... thats cute......... I will have jump on one of my extras on the Nacon :pac:

I too have a Nacon on the way.... it's just.... um.... she goes to another school

It just means you "tap" the button to Heal/Boost and it locks instead of holding it down.
    It's a small change but its one less thing to worry about and I can't think of why you wouldn't want to do it that way. Means you can focus more on other things.

I do the same with Widowmakers ADS, but thats more personal preferrance.

In general, you should go in and view the Specific Heros control options though, some of them are handy

• Advertisement

I too have a Nacon on the way.... it's just.... um.... she goes to another school

It just means you "tap" the button to Heal/Boost and it locks instead of holding it down.
    It's a small change but its one less thing to worry about and I can't think of why you wouldn't want to do it that way. Means you can focus more on other things.

In general, you should go in and view the Specific Heros control options though, some of them are handy

I'll have a look later on so, the having to hold down the button can be a pain in the hole alright. I got rather confused a few times with her last night but I'm getting there :D

Also had my first game with Winston yesterday....... didnt go to well at all haha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Penn wrote: »
    Ha, same here last night, I was S76 on Gibraltar Defend in Mystery Heroes. We held them at the start for the whole match. Payload barely moved an inch. Just had one of those matches where all the stars aligned. Every helix rocket landed. Self-heal was there when I needed it. Regular flanks got me behind 2/3 of them. Widowmaker's shots just whizzed by my head. It was awesome :D

Yeah there's good games, great games and then those games were everything is perfect. Every time someone attacked me I predicted what they would do and countered. It does make it more annoying when I stumble through a **** game unable to string two kills together though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

jonnycivic wrote:
    Also had my first game with Winston yesterday....... didnt go to well at all haha

Going to throw this out there: Winston is the worst/most useless hero by a fairly significant margin right now. Yeah?

I rarely play him but whenever he comes up in mystery heroes I cannot believe the cooldown on his TWO abilities. And his Ult is a waste of time. He seems so limited compared to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,103 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

His name is COD Man not Solider :pac:

Useless? No
    Off-Meta? Yes

He is hard to be effective with though, it really is a thankless task. Expect to get a lot of Bronze medals.

• Advertisement

Do the same for Reinhard to toggle his barrier on/off.

Useless? No Off-Meta? Yes

I'm very far away from the meta being at all relevant to me. I have the terrible terrible team comps in solo queue to prove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I hate the toggle with Mercy's beam. Holding down the button helps me stay concentrated, tried toggle and I just went into auto-pilot.

J. Marston wrote: »
    I hate the toggle with Mercy's beam. Holding down the button helps me stay concentrated, tried toggle and I just went into auto-pilot.

Thats all you need to know Jonny. Can keep one hand free for eating pringles :pac:

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Going to throw this out there: Winston is the worst/most useless hero by a fairly significant margin right now. Yeah?

I rarely play him but whenever he comes up in mystery heroes I cannot believe the cooldown on his TWO abilities. And his Ult is a waste of time. He seems so limited compared to others.

He's a counter to the squishes and the snipers.

With the three tank meta he has very few targets and with Hog being such a hard counter and almost in every game why would you pick him?

If they took 1 second off his jump and two off his shield he'd be much better at his job though.

Thats all you need to know Jonny. Can keep one hand free for eating pringles :pac:

Ah FFS, thats why I havent been doing well........ Im trying to use my left foot on the pad so I can eat my pringles in peace :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

J. Marston wrote: »
    I prefer to have it off simply because I'll have right mouse button pressed for powering up and I can keep holding it down while pressing the left mouse button as needed to heal up my target. Means no time lost switching power or scrambling for one or the other :)

emmetkenny wrote: »
    He's a counter to the squishes and the snipers.

With the three tank meta he has very few targets and with Hog being such a hard counter and almost in every game why would you pick him?

If they took 1 second off his jump and two off his shield he'd be much better at his job though.

+1 to this.

He was a valid counter in Season 1 when there were Lucios, Tracers, Zenyattaa all over the place. I "mained" him Season 1 and got along pretty ok

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

shout out to widow too.

I am actually quite decent with her, but can;t justify picking her in comp. Needs a serious look at with Winston as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Sight808

I clean up on Winston, you just need to know when to jump in and out. He's OK against other tanks but his mian job is to focus other dps and healers. You'll die more playing Winston than other tanks but his pay off is huge. When jumping try to land on people too, extra damage.

He can even take a phara down . Really underrated

• Advertisement

Just had a Winston idea: wouldn't it be cool if you could target people to jump onto much more accurately, akin to Mercy's Guardian Angel?

Alternatively, I think his jump cooldown should be slashed and treated more like a basic mobility function, again akin to Mercy.

Just had a Winston idea: wouldn't it be cool if you could target people to jump onto much more accurately, akin to Mercy's Guardian Angel?

Alternatively, I think his jump cooldown should be slashed and treated more like a basic mobility function, again akin to Mercy.

I think some auto lock system would be a cop out. One of the reasons people struggle is he's just one big hit box and unlike the rest of the tanks who can take loads of damage but sheild/self heal Winston needs a bit more skill in judging when to get involved and disengage.

Fair enough. I suppose I haven't played him nearly enough to start bandying about opinions. For me, he's a lot harder to use intuitively/effectively than the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

good advice. Having come to Overwatch from COD I prefer having the jump on L1, melee R3, but certainly taking jump off X will help massively.

I play a lot of winston. I doubt the usefulness of this idea. The jump doesn't do all that much damage (50 afaik) and its more useful for zoning weaker enemies with its stagger. A direct hit would send them in an unpredictable direction.

Reduced cooldown would definitely help, but the cooldown on his barrier is the limiting factor. You can't really engage the backline without having this ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Winston's jump damage should be doubled. It's a very tricky move to actually target, jump and land on someone and more often than not, you're putting yourself in trouble for a measly 50 damage and it's only 50 damage if it's a direct hit.

Reduced cooldown would definitely help, but the cooldown on his barrier is the limiting factor. You can't really engage the backline without having this ready.

If it was reduced you'd just end up with another Dva where the tank can take loads of damage and have shields all the time. There needs to be a balance and Winston is in a good place.

Overwatch is based on decision making and positioning even more so than mechanical skill.

Honestly, given the bubble has only 500HP, it having a 12 second cooldown is a bit ridiculous, I've played 30 hours as him, and if they upped the Shield to 600HP and the cooldown to maybe 10 seconds, he'd become more viable

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Honestly, given the bubble has only 500HP, it having a 12 second cooldown is a bit ridiculous, I've played 30 hours as him, and if they upped the Shield to 600HP and the cooldown to maybe 10 seconds, he'd become more viable

What if they... gave him a bow and arrow... And made him Japanese...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'd have to agree with that. It gets shredded instantly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement