Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overwatch - Blizzard's latest game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Are you still lower than me? :pac:

We up for a few games this evening of comp?

I might. I need a few wins though. Love this game, it's the only shooter i've ever given a toss about. Like I don't really care if I win or lose in Battlefield or most shooters. Overwatch brings out something primal though lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Will probably be on later after 0830 if anyone needs a Reinhart/Roadhog/Mercy/Junkrat

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I had a bug where my online stats were not updating, and I read that if you log into the US server it forces an update, so I tried it and it worked perfectly and instantly.

But more interesting: I then forgot I had selected the US server and starting playing competitive, and let me tell you: the yanks are faaaar more willing to use voice chat and actually work as a team, I couldn't get over it. Far more enjoyable experience. Even when you lost it felt like you were actually beaten, rather than just had a team of clowns not even trying the bare minimum.

Also in my second game I had this conversation:

*Americans speaking like Americans*
    Me: Hey what's with all the Americans in this game, are you guys playing transatlantic?
    Them: Uh, this is the North American server, buddy.
    Me: I...what? Ohhhhhhhh...

I didn't even notice I had a 120 ping. Which isn't actually all that bad considering I used to play classic Counter Strike on 130+ dial up with far more primitive netcode without much issue. Not that it would matter too much playing as Reinhardt. I decided to avoid hitscan.

Zillah wrote: »
    Also in my second game I had this conversation:

*Americans speaking like Americans*
    Me: Hey what's with all the Americans in this game, are you guys playing transatlantic?
    Them: Uh, this is the North American server, buddy.
    Me: I...what? Ohhhhhhhh...

Totes morto for ya:)!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

A few times on PS4 now:

"Eugh picking Junkrat, seriously"

It just fuels me at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,104 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

dudeeile wrote: »
    Solo queuing on the PS4 is painful, a bunch of loan warriors most of the time especially at the lower end of the scale, best not to worry too much about SR down here.

People playing like it's COD.

I've noticed in the last week or so a lot more people who can't build a team/switch a character who are low level with very little time in Competitive. Bloody Christmas Noobs.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

emmetkenny wrote: »

I've noticed in the last week or so a lot more people who can't build a team/switch a character who are low level with very little time in Competitive. Bloody Christmas Noobs.

Not christmas noobs, sale last week noobs which is worse :pac:

I have sunk that far down in SR its a cess pit of non nonsensical picks. Things like attack torbs, widow +hanzo on one team. No one willing to go healer or tank. Below 1500 the inmates have taken over the asylum.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Adventagious

Below 1500 the inmates have taken over the asylum.

:D:D:D:D

Totes morto for ya:)!

They were actually cool about it. We had a chat about how voice chat isn't used much in Europe and they were really surprised.

• Advertisement

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Not christmas noobs, sale last week noobs which is worse :pac:

I'd say a lot are casual Christmas players who took a month to get to level 25 as well.

They were actually cool about it. We had a chat about how voice chat isn't used much in Europe and they were really surprised.

One main problem in Europe is language. It's always going to be a barrier.

One main problem in Europe is language. It's always going to be a barrier.

Yeah it's a little annoying compared to the US servers. What will we get today? Russian kid with no English? Polish guy with incredibly strong accent? Finns with perfect English? Three French guys insisting on speaking French with other constantly throughout the game? That German guy who had good English but swapped to screaming at everyone in German when he got upset?

Whereas on the US servers it's a constant stream of normal English speakers, no problem.

I still don't get why they don't do a Western European server for Ireland and the UK.

All that said, I'm sure it's also just cultural: people don't like to use voicechat. They won't even join to listen let alone speak. Which is absurd in a team game where winning or losing is hugely dependent on how well you cooperate.

Three French guys insisting on speaking French with other constantly throughout the game?

This. Technically there's nothing wrong with it, but I've never in my life heard sentences longer than ones I've heard in French on Overwatch.

5 mins of solid yap.

My experience with americans is very different to you. Wait till you get some toxic ones.

My experience with americans is very different to you. Wait till you get some toxic ones.

I've had a decent percentage of toxic flamers from Europe, too, though. Like, if 10% of voice users are assholes, I suppose you'd have to listen to more total assholes in the US, but they can be muted and I'd happily pay that price to regularly have teams of people willing to communicate and work together.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Below 1500 the inmates have taken over the asylum.

The three sniper meta is strong.

I've fallen from 2200 odd to 1400 due to a lot of solo queuing. It would drive you nuts. Pick Reihardt and everyone ****s off and leave you alone to get slaughtered. Pick Mercy and everyone is at the four corners of the map so you can't rez properly. Pick Roadhog and get a lot of kills but team loses anyway because no one sticks together and gets killed one by one.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I play Rein a lot and I refuse to play him if the team won't work together. He is an indomitable powerhouse if your team has your back, and a sitting duck otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I realise that no rein is not always needed but when the other team has one a dva and a symm on a choke point you ****ing need one just to shoot behind from

1j5afl.gif

I don't think it really saved anyone, but it felt good.

• Advertisement

Rhein is such an important pick and never really a bad choice. Like you said when he is left on his own, he is done for. If you have a Zarya sitting on your shoulder as Rhein, mmmmm that's good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I don't know what the hell is up with the servers I'm playing with on PS4 but it seems to predominately be players with KSA in their PSN ID (Kingdom of Saudi Arabia?) and a LOT of Arabic names when they don't have KSA in the PSN name. Like it's >50% arabic names I find. It's unusual.

Also, maybe 2% of users I've encountered use voice comms

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I don't know what the hell is up with the servers I'm playing with on PS4 but it seems to predominately be players with KSA in their PSN ID (Kingdom of Saudi Arabia?) and a LOT of Arabic names

Nah i believe thats the fallout from Cork trying to think they are the real capital :P

I don't know what the hell is up with the servers I'm playing with on PS4 but it seems to predominately be players with KSA in their PSN ID (Kingdom of Saudi Arabia?) and a LOT of Arabic names when they don't have KSA in the PSN name. Like it's >50% arabic names I find. It's unusual.

That is weird. I played a game with a kid from Saudi Arabia before, he asked us to please use text if we're talking on voice because the service is blocked in his country and he didn't know what we were saying. I didn't even know it was possible to selectively block a voice stream within an app - I suppose Overwatch must send it over a different port or something like that.

I play PC where I am sure there's a higher mic percentage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Are you using a small/dodgy broadband provider? I used 'Sky Conway' internet in Kilmainham for a couple of years and my location tended to pop up as Iran quite often.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

That is weird. I played a game with a kid from Saudi Arabia before, he asked us to please use text if we're talking on voice because the service is blocked in his country and he didn't know what we were saying. I didn't even know it was possible to selectively block a voice stream within an app - I suppose Overwatch must send it over a different port or something like that.

I play PC where I am sure there's a higher mic percentage.

Annecdotally (from here and reddit) yes. Voice Chat is virtually non existant on Console, and those that do are in a Party Chat so others on the team cannot hear them
    A Neurotic wrote: »
    Are you using a small/dodgy broadband provider? I used 'Sky Conway' internet in Kilmainham for a couple of years and my location tended to pop up as Iran quite often.

I'm on Imagine LTE.
    I am fairly sure this was happening when I was on Sky BB before though.
    Maybe others on PS4 have noticed a largely Arabic player population

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It's because there are no Blizzard servers or peering arrangements between countries in the ME, so players get put into EU servers instead.

Also players from some countries in the ME simply can't use voice chat since VOIP is banned in some places.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

I'm getting the same arab population and I'm with Eircom.

When I played very early morning Destiny there would be quite a few arabs on but Overwatch has taken this to a whole new level, it's peak times and they're saying there's not enough players in Europe, it doesn't add upp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

It's because there are no Blizzard servers or peering arrangements between countries in the ME, so players get put into EU servers instead.

Also players from some countries in the ME simply can't use voice chat since VOIP is banned in some places.

ME players have historically been grouped in with Africa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

I generally play with a bunch of americans on US servers when I play on the PC, no hassle or connection issues. Switch to EU and cant play a stable game for the life of me yet when I play on the PS4 there's no issues like that. The language barrier is the biggest balls with European servers to be fair. And a very salty bunch to boot too! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement