Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overwatch - Blizzard's latest game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

I really don't understand the Bastion hate lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I don't really see any Bastion hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

I come across people in quickplay going nuts at the sight of one. Then again, people moan about every hero!

Grayditch wrote: »
    From Reddit and on Pc I believe.

I think I'm gonna hold off doing my placement matches until I see how this plays out.

Just watched this again. Bastion is sitting on a health pack ffs. Mercy healing a few times. He didn't hit the genji while he was using reflect. The genji missed tons of times allowing Bastion to heal when he as low. There is nothing wrong with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,106 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Thats a good point. If this is going to be the craic in season 4,a lot of people are going to have to get good at Sombra I think, just to keep Bastion off the field

Sombra can hack him but she won't have the DPS to kill him after as he'll just burn her down in sentry mode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

madcabbage wrote: »
    I really don't understand the Bastion hate lads.

No hate at all, just observations

Literally had my mouth open in disbelief the whole time watching that. And genji is the fastest character in the game?! Bastions survivability is gonna go through the roof now. All he has to do now is sit on the back lines and spray and pray. If he takes a hit move off to a hidey hole to repair, rinse and repeat.

Have any of the snipers got a buff to counter this?

His sentry mode has been nerfed so he's not great at long range against anything but tanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Sombra can hack him but she won't have the DPS to kill him after as he'll just burn her down in sentry mode.

I think you mean Recon mode, and no, a hacked Bastion is in trouble against a decent Sombra.

I did 8 placement matches last night and in retrospect I really should not have done them late at night. Won 2 I think. So many people unwilling to work as a team. Like, you're doing competitive placement matches at the start of a brand new season, fupp off back to QP if you don't want to get on comms, aren't willing to group up, won't wait five seconds to combo an ult, and won't pick heroes based on what we need.

Zillah wrote: »
    I think you mean Recon mode, and no, a hacked Bastion is in trouble against a decent Sombra.

I did 8 placement matches last night and in retrospect I really should not have done them late at night. Won 2 I think. So many people unwilling to work as a team. Like, you're doing competitive placement matches at the start of a brand new season, fupp off back to QP if you don't want to get on comms, aren't willing to group up, won't wait five seconds to combo an ult, and won't pick heroes based on what we need.

Yup sorry Recon mode. Sombra has a smaller health pool, no armour and does less DPS. Even if she gets the jump on Bastion a half way decent Bastion should beat her.

Literally know the feels man. Welcome to my last season. Not touching placements unless I am queued with the PS4 crew here

• Advertisement

Yup sorry Recon mode. Sombra has a smaller health pool, no armour and does less DPS. Even if she gets the jump on Bastion a half way decent Bastion should beat her.

It still takes him off the map as he has now been hacked and chasing his tail trying to melt her. I dunno we will see how this plays out as I thought when Sombra was introduced she would upset the meta in a big way. As of now she has not made much of a change from Bronze to Gold as far as I can see.

It still takes him off the map as he has now been hacked and chasing his tail trying to melt her. I dunno we will see how this plays out as I thought when Sombra was introduced she would upset the meta in a big way. As of now she has not made much of a change from Bronze to Gold as far as I can see.

The same happened with Anna though, people took a while to figure her out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Just watched this again. Bastion is sitting on a health pack ffs. Mercy healing a few times. He didn't hit the genji while he was using reflect. The genji missed tons of times allowing Bastion to heal when he as low. There is nothing wrong with this.

Yeah, it's awful play from Genji. He allows bastion to get healed twice by Mercy without attacking her and also allows him to pick up a big medi-pack twice. He probably did enough damage to kill him twice, and yet Bastion still couldn't kill him in that time.

Literally know the feels man. Welcome to my last season. Not touching placements unless I am queued with the PS4 crew here

I don't think the placement matches really impact your rank that much, it's more down to your rank last season. Which is fair considering it only ended a week ago.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

A good mercy that knows when to heal and when to damage boost will be called for in comp, last night there was a mercy on our team and they didnt heal and when healing was needed were using damage boost it was nuts.

jonnycivic wrote: »
    A good mercy that knows when to heal and when to damage boost will be called for in comp, last night there was a mercy on our team and they didnt heal and when healing was needed were using damage boost it was nuts.

And when to use her gun also. I've read somewhere that in general (excluding ults etc), you'd do more damage shooting the target instead of damage boosting a team mate shooting the target.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Benzino wrote: »
    And when to use her gun also. I've read somewhere that in general (excluding ults etc), you'd do more damage shooting the target instead of damage boosting a team mate shooting the target.

Yeah well that would depends on how good your aim is :D

Anna is the best tank healer. Lucio is a must on KOTH. Zen offers the additional damage with discord. Marcy has her Res.

If we've three tanks Anna is a must. Lucio is great at healing DPS and can speed boost you to health packs. Zen orbs are very good for DVa/Winston/Tracer etc. I just don't see the need for Mercy, she has very little survivability and if you get stranded you'll very rarely escape. The only time she's useful is when your team is wiped and you need a big Res (but if you had an Anna/Lucio combo or a Zen Ult instead you might have been able to keep your team alive anyway)

He has a gigantic hitbox that will soak up every single one of her bullets, she has a tiny hit box that he will barely scratch if she dodges around. He has 25 bullets in his clip before he needs to reload, she can empty 60 into him before she needs to reload. On paper dps doesn't matter, her actual damage done will be much higher. Trust me, I've done it plenty of times, Sombra wins if it's just the two of them. A non-hacked recon Bastion 2.0 could easily force a stalemate by just healing away the damage she is doing though, I'm sure. (EDIT: this is on PC, mind you; it's likely that consoles aim-assist could change the dynamic)
    Benzino wrote: »
    I don't think the placement matches really impact your rank that much, it's more down to your rank last season. Which is fair considering it only ended a week ago.

Which is reassuring considering how badly mine have gone, but on the other hand, what's the point in starting a new season if you're destined to be put back into pretty much the same SR?

He has a gigantic hitbox that will soak up every single one of her bullets, she has a tiny hit box that he will barely scratch if she dodges around. He has 20 bullets in his clip before he needs to reload, she can empty 60 into him before she needs to reload. Trust me, I've done it plenty of times, Sombra wins if it's just the two of them. A non-hacked recon Bastion 2.0 could easily force a stalemate by just healing away the damage she is doing though, I'm sure.

He has 25 in the clip now doesn't he?

Be interesting to see some clips, I'm sure it'll be tried loads anyway and we will have a better idea in a few days/weeks.

• Advertisement

He has a gigantic hitbox that will soak up every single one of her bullets, she has a tiny hit box that he will barely scratch if she dodges around. He has 20 bullets in his clip before he needs to reload, she can empty 60 into him before she needs to reload. Trust me, I've done it plenty of times, Sombra wins if it's just the two of them. A non-hacked recon Bastion 2.0 could easily force a stalemate by just healing away the damage she is doing though, I'm sure.

Which is reassuring considering how badly mine have gone, but on the other hand, what's the point in starting a new season if you're destined to be put back into pretty much the same SR?

Yeah I ended last season on 1500 ish, thats gonna scupper me too. What's the point on placement matches? They must help a bit surely?

Yeah I ended last season on 1500 ish, thats gonna scupper me too. What's the point on placement matches? They must help a bit surely?

Pro tip:

Step 1: Post in chat looking for teammates
    Step 2: Tell them youll be healer
    Step 3: Watch your SR go up and up and up :pac:

#ilovebeencarried

He has 25 in the clip now doesn't he?

Yeah I edited it just before you replied. Not sure when that change was made. Still 25 v 60 though.
    Be interesting to see some clips, I'm sure it'll be tried loads anyway and we will have a better idea in a few days/weeks.

Fight me brah.

They do a bit but the final result is based on your previous seasons as well.

If you were 3000 last season and then lost 10 placement matches for season 4 and placed 1500 would that be fair?

You could have 200 games and averaged the 3000 on the previous season but should that be all undone on a 10 game average?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,776 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Anna is the best tank healer. Lucio is a must on KOTH. Zen offers the additional damage with discord. Marcy has her Res.

If we've three tanks Anna is a must. Lucio is great at healing DPS and can speed boost you to health packs. Zen orbs are very good for DVa/Winston/Tracer etc. I just don't see the need for Mercy, she has very little survivability and if you get stranded you'll very rarely escape. The only time she's useful is when your team is wiped and you need a big Res (but if you had an Anna/Lucio combo or a Zen Ult instead you might have been able to keep your team alive anyway)

Mercy's biggest advantage over Ana is the auto-lock. Hitting anything other than a Tank as Ana is a pain in the hole when the person you're trying to heal is under fire and moving. You have the biotic grenade but with cooldown, it's not always available. Mercy has good maneuverability with auto-lock and auto-self-healing.

Yeah I edited it just before you replied. Not sure when that change was made. Still 25 v 60 though.

It came down in Bastion 2.0.

Bastion out damages Solider now in Recon mode and I've often beaten Sombra as Solider in a straight shootout after been hacked so that was my reasoning that Bastion should be able to beat the Sombra 1v1.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Adventagious

Been getting back into Mercy a lot in the last few weeks, mostly QP.

She is immense amounts of fun as long as you aren't really being focused by a Genji/Tracer, and the change to her self-healing and res have been great.

If you've got a decent Solider and a Dva constantly moving around they make great points use for zipping around the map and damage boosting. To be honest i'd never take out my gun while damage boosting unless it's a very clear one sided fight or the person i'm boosting has poor aim. Will have to think about using the pistol more, but at the end of the day i'm not usually as good a shot as my DPS teammates.

Pro tip:

Step 1: Post in chat looking for teammates
    Step 2: Tell them youll be healer
    Step 3: Watch your SR go up and up and up :pac:

#ilovebeencarried

True but ya have to hope that the team that you get lumped with are good ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,776 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Been getting back into Mercy a lot in the last few weeks, mostly QP.

She is immense amounts of fun as long as you aren't really being focused by a Genji/Tracer, and the change to her self-healing and res have been great.

If you've got a decent Solider and a Dva constantly moving around they make great points use for zipping around the map and damage boosting. To be honest i'd never take out my gun while damage boosting unless it's a very clear one sided fight or the person i'm boosting has poor aim. Will have to think about using the pistol more, but at the end of the day i'm not usually as good a shot as my DPS teammates.

Yeah as Mercy I teamed with a great S76 last night in Mystery Heroes on Nepal. I'd heal anyone who was nearby and low on health, but mostly focused on him as he actually stayed on the point. I also took him dropping his own heal as a signal to switch to damage boost. Only had to use my pistol once in two rounds because of a Reaper trying to be a sneaky b*stard.

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »
    Mercy's biggest advantage over Ana is the auto-lock. Hitting anything other than a Tank as Ana is a pain in the hole when the person you're trying to heal is under fire and moving. You have the biotic grenade but with cooldown, it's not always available. Mercy has good maneuverability with auto-lock and auto-self-healing.

Mercy self healing is quite poor, the Angel of Mercy (where she can fly to teammates) is good but if you need to heal someone a bit further away you might not be able to use that to escape danger if your team isn't close enough to you.

I'm bad at Anna but I can still hit Genji to heal (and from a distance so no danger of me being hit). I don't think I'd have a Mercy on my team over any of the other three unless I knew we were getting slapped and we're going to need the Rest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement