Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overwatch - Blizzard's latest game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,782 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Zillah wrote: »
    I have heard that the algorithm pays attention to whether it was a random no where fight or a desperate battle on the control point.

Yeah ultimately it's about whatever fills your fire meter the most, so a 3-man rez on the control point under fire using guardian angel to get to where you can rez would fill the meter more than a 4-man rez not on the point, taking less damage and already beside your fallen teammates.

I've missed out on what I thought would be definite POTGs because even though someone else got fewer kills, they used a greater combination of abilities to dodge/block/attack/move under more fire etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Seems like an unlikely scenario tbh. Pharah would be getting killed rather fast if out of position and surely she wouldn't be able to kill Rein that quick even with +30% damage. Rein still regularly drops his shield to do fire strike anyway.

Maybe I'm wrong since they are repealing this change.

I think it's because a lot of teams were using the dive tactic alongside it

Discord Rhein, have a Winston jump in to disrupt him and he's dead in no time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

I'll give comp a go again once they sort out Console with whatever is going on in the PTR and when they release Orisa

There is nothing wrong with competitive on console :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

There's nothing wrong, per se, on PC, either. They just like to mix things up now and then when people's strategies become stale. Certain heroes become must-picks and others get sidelined and become pariahs because they're not considered the perfect winning strategy. Weakening the too reliable characters and giving a buff to the under represented ones helps keep things fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Benzino wrote: »

The Bastion patches are not there. And regardless of what anyone says, I did not find playing against him fun. I have other games I can play that scratch the fun itch right now. I don't need to do any mental gymnastics to convince myself X, Y and Z about Bastion to encourage me to play this week. I can just wait it out until I find the game fun again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Competitive is supposed to be fun?

:pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Tell bastion that :pac:

The Bastion patches are not there. And regardless of what anyone says, I did not find playing against him fun. I have other games I can play that scratch the fun itch right now. I don't need to do any mental gymnastics to convince myself X, Y and Z about Bastion to encourage me to play this week. I can just wait it out until I find the game fun again

I got the impression you were saying there is something wrong with competitive like it's buggy or something, but if you are just not enjoying it, fair enough.

In my opinion, Bastion change has made competitive more fun than ever. It's great seeing people bitch and moan about Bastion instead of just working together and taking him down. He has completely changed the meta which was getting a bit boring and brought life to Sombra who was rarely used in competitive.

His change has also resulted in most Reinhardts being a lot more static than normal. The best, most effective Reinhardts are constantly on the move wreaking havoc. I'm a strong believer that the team with the better Reinhardt will usually win, so it's an interesting when you see Reinhardts just sitting in front of Bastion for the majority of the game.

Even after the patch, I think we are going to see a lot of Bastion.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

Grayditch wrote: »
    Competitive is supposed to be fun?

:pac:

It is but I am one of those lads that when I play comp I prefer to be winning and have more fun that way. I am very competitive and if not winning I am not having fun. I have no problem admitting that at all.If I want to blow off steam that what quick play is for.

I

The best, most effective Reinhardts are constantly on the move wreaking havoc

This is the exact opposite of my experience. Rein making unnecessary charges, and dropping his shield so his team aren't covered, are clear signs of a bad Rein that isn't doing his job.
    I'm a strong believer that the team with the better Reinhardt will usually win

It is a huge factor, but also, having played Rein quite a bit, I've come to the conclusion that Rein is only as good as his team. Even a mediocre Rein will do a good job if the healers prioritise him and has the dps watching his flanks and ready to go in when there is a push. The best Rein in the world is easy pickings if his team don't have his back.

• Advertisement

This is the exact opposite of my experience. Rein making unnecessary charges, and dropping his shield so his team aren't covered, are clear signs of a bad Rein that isn't doing his job.

This is a grey area. I will drop it when I have a breather,to get it up to full power again.

This all goes back to how good your Rein is. I don't play Rein cause I'm not good with him, so I can't describe how to play him, but I know a good one when I see them, and they always have the enemy team on the back foot. A good Rein will communicate or give some indication as to what he is doing.

The thing about Rein is that when he attacks somebody, the opposite team nearly always retreat trying to get away from him while also focusing their attacks on him. This is the perfect oppertunity for the rest of your team to lay down fire as your opponents are too busy trying to deal with him while your healer is keeping Rein alive.
    It is a huge factor, but also, having played Rein quite a bit, I've come to the conclusion that Rein is only as good as his team. Even a mediocre Rein will do a good job if the healers prioritise him and has the dps watching his flanks and ready to go in when there is a push. The best Rein in the world is easy pickings if his team don't have his back.

Definitely, Reinhardt is uselss without a team working together. If your team aren't working together, you are better off switching. I guess my point is that in the lower ranks, you tend to see most Rein's with their shield up and rarely attacking unless it's as last ditch attempt to stay alive. Whereas in the higher ranks, you'll regularly see aggressive Rein's and they tend to be very successfull at causing chaos among the other team.

I would describe the best Reinhardt players as ones who sit still with their shield up covering their team most of the time, but every now and then will break out with waves of domineering carnage before popping the shield up for cover again.

He has to be very strategic.

I would describe the best Reinhardt players as ones who sit still with their shield up covering their team most of the time, but every now and then will break out with waves of domineering carnage before popping the shield up for cover again.

This-110 times this. Most of the times when I go aggressive, I am swinging just to keep people back. Then Ill pop shield and resume normal service

Indeed, he has to pick his moments to go aggressive and not do it just for the sake of it.

There are Reins out there who seem to never die, while swinging that hammer around, causing absolute chaos, nailing ever single charge and lading every hammer blow. They get their ult every few mins, and spend very little time with the shield up. For me, those are more effective Reins than ones that shield, however those are very few and far between. The worst is the ones who think they are that Rein when they are not.

There are Reins out there who seem to never die, while swinging that hammer around, causing absolute chaos, nailing ever single charge and lading every hammer blow. They get their ult every few mins, and spend very little time with the shield up. For me, those are more effective Reins than ones that shield, however those are very few and far between. The worst is the ones who think they are that Rein when they are not.

I don't know man. A Rhein job description is keeping his team safe so surely he is meant to be shielding?

Exactly, and I'd agree, there aren't many of them around, but when you do encounter them, it's like the whole team panics, they simply have no idea what to do.

When you have a stalemate of both teams behind their Reinhardt, a good aggressive Reinhardt will end that in his team's favour. At least that is my experience anyway.

I don't know man. A Rhein job description is keeping his team safe so surely he is meant to be shielding?

But he has other abilities too, he is more than just his shield. His hammer has a big arch which deals 75 damage. Most dps and healers have about 200 health, so he can rip through them. Especially when they are close together, where he can hit multiple enemies with one swing.

They're not being played as intended, but they've transcended their role, they're that good. I really don't see them too often, but they're so good, the rest of the team is just finishing off his scraps and if you have one on your team, you're far from telling him to put his shield up.

• Advertisement

They're not being played as intended, but they've transcended their role, they're that good. I really don't see them too often, but they're so good, the rest of the team is just finishing off his scraps and if you have one on your team, you're far from telling him to put his shield up.

Fair enough, I have yet to see one. I imagine its quite like a unicorn sighting though :)

I don't think this has anything to do with the Rein in question to be honest. If the enemy is shit and your own healers on point, then you can get away with this. There really isn't much technique to swinging the hammer and not dying, it's all about circumstances.

Against a good team wading in with the hammer is just asking to die immediately.

It's somewhere between the technique and skill they play with and the other team's inability to deal with him probabaly, so I'd say somwhere in the middle. They're a sight to behold, so they are.

I play a lot of Rein. I often ended filling as him if I don't insta-lock a dps.

There is no such thing as a rein capable of doing what you describe unless he is backed by a good And and Zarya. There are very, very specific moments where you can go full aggression as Reinhardt. Sometimes those moments aren't even when an Ana has ulted you. If its unlikely that you will survive an attack, just don't do it. As people have said already, its a delicate balancing act of when to go in and when to stay back. You only really gain that with practise.

As a general rule I give bad Reinhardts is to never charge longer than a few meters. You want to be pinning someone almost directly in front of you, or miss and be able to recover instantly. Most beginners should just forget about charge entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 28,107 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I've played 10 games since Monday and I've went WWWLLLWWL. Down 2 SR overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Sight808

Does anyone watch any OW streams on twitch? I'm fond of watching Harbleu if I am cooking or doing other work. He's a hog/zarya main but can run a mean soldier and tracer. He's former complexity now of NRG for those that don't really follow the comp scene.

Seems like a nice chap too, his laugh is infectious, makes for good viewing!

https://www.twitch.tv/harbleu

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Adventagious

Sight808 wrote: »
    Does anyone watch any OW streams on twitch? I'm fond of watching Harbleu if I am cooking or doing other work. He's a hog/zarya main but can run a mean soldier and tracer. He's former complexity now of NRG for those that don't really follow the comp scene.

Seems like a nice chap too, his laugh is infectious, makes for good viewing!

https://www.twitch.tv/harbleu

I really like watching Harbleu, plays seriously but keeps his tone light and positive. Monster Roadhog.

Would recommend checking out ManofSnow (can't link as i'm in work unfortunately) - he's smaller scale Twitcher than Harbleu or IDDQD but plays at pro level, currently building his own team and coaching.
    He's a fantastic Zarya, and tends to talk about what is doing and explain rationale which is helpful. Can get a bit dour on a loss streak but still a good watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Sight808

I really like watching Harbleu, plays seriously but keeps his tone light and positive. Monster Roadhog.

Would recommend checking out ManofSnow (can't link as i'm in work unfortunately) - he's smaller scale Twitcher than Harbleu or IDDQD but plays at pro level, currently building his own team and coaching.
    He's a fantastic Zarya, and tends to talk about what is doing and explain rationale which is helpful. Can get a bit dour on a loss streak but still a good watch.

Nice, I'll check him out! Have you seen harb's drawings. haaaaaaaaa!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Masters didn't last long! 3 losses in a row, one because of someone who decided to sulk and started walling us in with Mei.

I lowered myself to their level and sent them a message with several insults.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement