Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overwatch - Blizzard's latest game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I don't think the game really lends itself to KDR anyway. What's KDR really to Reinhard. Maybe didn't kill/die the entire game but saved countless people with his shield or stayed on the payload and moved it along and so on and so forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Not showing KDR is a great decision on their part.
    It encourages teamwork and stops people focusing on the "I'm top of the leaderboard" going solo mentality.
    Instead people are more focused on making good plays and teamwork so they can hopefully see themselves pop up at the 'End of Game' screen.

Often you'll see Reinhard or the Healers there as much as you would the most kills.
    Does anybody else feel that the stats at the end of the match just aren't enough? When I lose I want to see where we went wrong or what hero wasn't pulling their weight. Just seeing your own stats really isn't enough to judge this.

You can kind of tell yourself after a while where you are going wrong.
    If in the prep screen you see your team is ATTACKING , but that you have 3 snipers etc...well...there's your first problem.
    Reinhard and the healer also NEED attacking heroes to compliment their abilities, he need a person behind his shield dealing out damage.
    The same for defending, if you have people too far from the objective, up forward trying to get a Quadrakill or Pentakill....well they're just leaving your base exposed.

KDR and may other stats in this game don't lend themselves to determining who assisted or didn't assist the team in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Dcully wrote: »
    Boards / battle.net names so far :)

Dcully / Cully#2309

Andres76 / usagi76#1869 [cough cough!! Soldier 76 :P]

Nody / Nody #2214

cherryghost / cherryghost#2858

partyjungle / neeel#11514

Shiminay / Shiminay#2408

Osmosis Jones / Ozz#2834

Xenji / Xenji#2503

Kevovek / kevovek#2203

johnny_ultimate / maccydee#2368

Stormhawk88 / Nerobear #2862

Just picked this up, didn't play any of the beta so new to it all. But enjoying it so far. I've added the above so look forward to a few games.

My battlenet tag is: Tb0n3#2601

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'm starting to see more appreciation for heroes like Lucio and Mercy in the voting lately. Good to see.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Battletag is Gonzovision#1910.

I'll add people from above list.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Grayditch wrote: »
    I'm starting to see more appreciation for heroes like Lucio and Mercy in the voting lately. Good to see.

I seem to get a lot of love for blocking damage as well. "Play of the game" is such rubbish though, it always seems to go to some cheap shot Pharah, Junkrat or Hanzo ultimate. I'd love to see more PotGs for more team-orientated stuff, like blocking a huge amount of damage, or healing through a lot of damage, but bar the odd Mercy ressurection getting play of the game, it's not something you really see much of. So yeah, all my points to the healers, all of the time!

Links234 wrote: »
    I seem to get a lot of love for blocking damage as well. "Play of the game" is such rubbish though, it always seems to go to some cheap shot Pharah, Junkrat or Hanzo ultimate. I'd love to see more PotGs for more team-orientated stuff, like blocking a huge amount of damage, or healing through a lot of damage, but bar the odd Mercy ressurection getting play of the game, it's not something you really see much of. So yeah, all my points to the healers, all of the time!

Yeah, I think I've seen POTG go to Mercy for a full team revive on a Reddit Post, but I hope the introduce more stuff than multikills alright.

Good to see people voting epic for a player on the losing team too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Does an epic get you more xp or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Stormhawk88

SeantheMan wrote: »
    You can kind of tell yourself after a while where you are going wrong.
    If in the prep screen you see your team is ATTACKING , but that you have 3 snipers etc...well...there's your first problem.
    Reinhard and the healer also NEED attacking heroes to compliment their abilities, he need a person behind his shield dealing out damage.
    The same for defending, if you have people too far from the objective, up forward trying to get a Quadrakill or Pentakill....well they're just leaving your base exposed.

KDR and may other stats in this game don't lend themselves to determining who assisted or didn't assist the team in any way.

KDR is the last thing I'd want for the stats page, as you said this isn't a game that lends itself to a KDR as most shooters does. I would be more interested in seeing the relative damage of two Reinhardts damage taken on opposite teams. How much did the team composition go towards one being able to take more damage. Did they have a better Lucio or Mercy. Was Mercy just healing Reinhardt?

I just feel that with there being so much emphasis on it being a team game that playing as part of a team and losing its tough to figure out where ye went wrong. When all you are getting is your own stats page. I'm hoping for the competitive play they bring something a little more like this into play.

I totally agree that for the likes of Quick Play and matching with randomers an overall stats page would make people get a lot more salty than just showing your own stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Having a few games at the mo, two of us in group so far on PS4 if anyone fancies a few games.

• Advertisement

Grayditch wrote: »
    Is armour as good as health in this, or is one one slightly more resilient?

A good breakdown on shields and armour.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/4ll0gy/psa_the_differences_between_hp_armor_and_shield/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A 16 player kill streak with Pharah has been my highlight of the week, the game is like crack.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

This! Had a game yesterday where POTG went to a junkrat pentakill with the tyre ult, which yeah by itself is pretty good but when you consider 1 second later I used mercy's ult to rez all 5 players and the momentum of that gave us the boost to win it makes no sense for him to get it.

They have done so well pushing rewards and incentives for support and defence play but then when POTG only rewards multi kills it's pretty annoying

Great link about the armor...for those who didn't read...the most interesting part by far is
    Function like Health with a major difference: Armor is hardy. It's the best "health" in the game for reducing damage.

Reduces damage from each damage source by 5 as long as it exists. This means it's extremely effective for blocking small, repeated sources of damage such as tracer bullets, shotgun "pellets", Winston's tesla gun, Zarya's beam, etc. For example, Tracer pistols vs a D.Va's huge pool of armor is ineffective as it gives D.va virtually hundreds of extra hp.

Technical note: it reduces damage by 50% up to a max of 5 damage. Meaning if the damage done is less than 8, it'll only be reduced by half. 8 damage would be reduced to 4. 100 would be reduced to 95 (the full 5 damage reduction). This still makes armor exceptionally effective against small sources of damage, but prevents it mechanically from making you immune to small sources of damage.
    Tips:

D.Va
    Armor is invaluable against small, repeated sources of damage. D.Va's HP is composed almost entirely of armor. Such a large pool of armor makes her a very good tank against Tracer, shotguns (Reaper/Road Hog).
    Since armor comes back 50% faster while being healed (Mercy/Lucio), she can tank a LOT of small arms fire (Soldier 76, Tracer, Shotguns) while being healed, resorting to Defense Matrix to sort out larger attacks like rockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Just on D.Va.. that's not entirely true right? If you've good aim with any of those offense characters you can shred that armour pretty quickly by aiming at the pod she's in.

tok9 wrote: »
    Just on D.Va.. that's not entirely true right? If you've good aim with any of those offense characters you can shred that armour pretty quickly by aiming at the pod she's in.

You're probably right. I didn't post the original link, only took the relevant information from it for those who can't be bothered clicking :P
    I didn't know about the armor info etc....and I don't know about crit zones either.

Talkin about POTG, I went to check out the Reddit sub for Overwatch, the whole thing just seems to be full of POTG's and little discussion.
    I did find that there's a much small sub called OverwatchUniversity though where people actually talk about the game and tactics....unfortunately it doesn't seem to be near as popular (8k subs compared to the 300k subs of the main one)

If you're into POTG's though...then head on over there and veg out on them

There are some decent threads on Uni sub, one being TWIL (This week I learned, reading through it now...I'll post any decent or interesting ones) I don't know if they're 100% accurate as I've not tested or seen them myself.
      -Mercy's damage buff is 30%. Ground-breaking discovery.
      -You can rotate Mei's Ice Wall by pressing E again, which you can then use to get to locations faster, such as the center point on Lijang Tower: Garden from the lane that comes from your base.
      -TWIL that Junkrat's tire can climb walls. Nooby, I know, but I never paid much attention to him during my Onlywatch days.
      -TWIL: Roadhog can hook Junkrat's Ult. No idea if it can be detonated before he oneshots it though.(Lucio's pulse also works against it. I pushed a tire off the map the other day)
      -TWIL: Genji's reflect is amazing. Hanzo ult arrow that hasn't transformed into dragons yet? You can reflect that and send a twin dragon (now your twin dragon) right back at him. Mei ult? You can reflect that little robot and freeze her and her team instead. Both of those surprised me when they happened this week; he can literally reflect any projectile. You can even reflect McCree's ULT !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I think this sums up my experience from last nights playing.

pyQl7ro.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Had a 35 streak with Torbjorn last night. There's this little cubbyhole in Dorado where its extremely hard to find but the turret sees all no problemo.

Also, this is an amazing play https://giant.gfycat.com/LiquidInsistentKittiwake.webm

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I did find that there's a much small sub called OverwatchUniversity though where people actually talk about the game and tactics....unfortunately it doesn't seem to be near as popular (8k subs compared to the 300k subs of the main one)

This sub you found is awesome was just reading through some of the stuff and its real informative and there's no junk to scroll through like the main one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,748 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

r/competetiveoverwatch has some good posts too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,748 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Got a Lucio skin that makes him a hockey player, this is a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Now that this game is out for a week do people think it will last the distance or will it be empty in 3 months? I know Blizzard are patching in ranked mode which should help the lasting appeal

I'm still addicted to it anyway. It's really hard to say how I think I'll feel about it in a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Seems my 1337 skillz has carried over quite nicely from UT2k4. Pretty easily racking up 30+ frags each game. It's actually good fun though.

The only thing really pissing me off is the game won't fit my full username. What an utter load of bollix.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Seems my 1337 skillz has carried over quite nicely from UT2k4. Pretty easily racking up 30+ frags each game. It's actually good fun though.

The only thing really pissing me off is the game won't fit my full username. What an utter load of bollix.

Play of the Game
    challegemast

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Just watched a Giantbomb stream where they bought and opened 50 loot boxes....... im very tempted

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

VinLieger wrote: »
    Just watched a Giantbomb stream where they bought and opened 50 loot boxes....... im very tempted

I'm lvl 24 now so ive opened 24 boxes and got nothing but silly voice lines and a couple of sprays, in other words useless.

I haven't looked into buying any, are there different rarity levels or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Level 22 myself and have had 3 legendary skins as well as a couple of epics and quite a few rares, guess I've just been lucky. Can understand the temptation to use microtransactions but as the only progression loop the game has is the loot boxes, I'd rather keep them as a reward for levelling up.

• Advertisement

I don't like cosmetics and neither should you. Bah humbug. I'd prefer to be talking about the gameplay itself rather than something superfluous.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement