Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overwatch - Blizzard's latest game

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

If want a serious laugh, use her defense matrix on top of a Reapers ult. It denies all his shots while he spins like a useless ballerina

Reaper's ultimate can be interrupted by a lot of things, hooking him with Roadhog, or charging him with Reinhardt. Popping a Winston bubble over him is great, though I died that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Stormhawk88

Links234 wrote: »
    Oh I play D.Va loads, but there's no denying she's fundamentally broken as a tank. Once the mech gets crushed, I'll be hopping all over the place and usually manage to take out a couple of people, because her "peashooter" actually does far more damage than the mech's weaponry, which also have next to no range and cripple movement speed. Trying to play her as a tank is worthless, bar the few seconds when Defense Matrix is up, I'll mostly use her on point capture maps to fly around past areas where there's nobody expecting it and get in and try to capture.

She is fairly slow while moving and firing but she can still turn decently. So anyone at close range isnt getting away easily.
    I like to use her to kill stalemates and draw aggro from the rest of your team.
    Fly up close pop defence matrix, let team fire off some damage, then blast away with your shotguns. With a decent team you usually cause chaos doing this and thats without your ult. Shes like a dambuster more than a tank.

She is fairly slow while moving and firing but she can still turn decently. So anyone at close range isnt getting away easily.
    I like to use her to kill stalemates and draw aggro from the rest of your team.
    Fly up close pop defence matrix, let team fire off some damage, then blast away with your shotguns. With a decent team you usually cause chaos doing this and thats without your ult. Shes like a dambuster more than a tank.

I know, she's one of my most played characters, and I'll often fly in from places they aren't expecting, and dash off again quick, but that's not the point. Hell, I even find her a downright terrific counter to Pharah, Defense Matrix can practically neutralize her Ultimate, and I'll often pluck them from the sky by flying up and 'bopping' her then shooting on the way down, they tend not to expect that. The point is that as a tank, the role she's meant to fill, she's really not worth looking at, and Blizzard are looking at buffing her. At close range, nobody is getting away? Well, it's not a problem of them getting away so much, it's that D.Va is ridiculously fragile what with that gigantic centered crit box, most anyone can kill her unless she gets the drop on them. You can't fire while Defense Matrix is active, and the crippled movement speed while firing makes you a sitting duck for anyone taking aim at that massive squishy critbox that's right infront of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Stormhawk88

I know, she's one of my most played characters, and I'll often fly in from places they aren't expecting, and dash off again quick, but that's not the point. Hell, I even find her a downright terrific counter to Pharah, Defense Matrix can practically neutralize her Ultimate, and I'll often pluck them from the sky by flying up and 'bopping' her then shooting on the way down, they tend not to expect that. The point is that as a tank, the role she's meant to fill, she's really not worth looking at, and Blizzard are looking at buffing her. At close range, nobody is getting away? Well, it's not a problem of them getting away so much, it's that D.Va is ridiculously fragile what with that gigantic centered crit box, most anyone can kill her unless she gets the drop on them. You can't fire while Defense Matrix is active, and the crippled movement speed while firing makes you a sitting duck for anyone taking aim at that massive squishy critbox that's right infront of them.

She is fairly squishy and will never fill the tank roll properly. Would even a buff to her movement make her a more viable tank? As you said with that large hitbox and overall squishyness even a buff to her movement still wont make her a viable tank. Although it says a lot for Blizzard that they only have to tweak 2 characters and that there is so little complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

They're looking at buffing D Va slighlty (not damage) and will be nerfing Macree, he kills tanks too easily.

• Advertisement

She is fairly squishy and will never fill the tank roll properly. Would even a buff to her movement make her a more viable tank? As you said with that large hitbox and overall squishyness even a buff to her movement still wont make her a viable tank. Although it says a lot for Blizzard that they only have to tweak 2 characters and that there is so little complaints.

The problem isn't her hit box, it's her crit box, as in where she recieves the headshot penalty. It's her cockpit. It's far larger than other heroes, and it's center-mass, so incredibly easy to hit. The crippled movement speed while firing compounds this, it just makes her a sitting duck. Where other characters you have to carefully aim a headshot, with D.Va you just fire center-mass and be guaranteed crit becase it's not only centered, it is far bigger than anyone else's.

dva-headshot-area.jpg

There's a lot of things that could be tweaked to make her a more viable tank, I'd say they'll be looking at moving the crit box, or removing it entirely. She can't fire while her defense matrix is activated, which is ridiculous considering Zarya can fire while her barrier is up, and do a lot of damage as well, without incuring any movement penalty.

nix wrote: »
    They're looking at buffing D Va slighlty (not damage) and will be nerfing Macree, he kills tanks too easily.

Not exactly right, see here.
    D.Va's damage is definitely on the lower side, much like Winstons. They are this way for a similar reason: They are both very mobile and hard to kill. Every character in the game has strengths and weaknesses, its part of what makes the teamplay work well.

That said, I do think the is some room for some D.Va improvements, but these are unlikely to take the shape of increasing her damage output significantly.

They are looking at buffing her damage, just not significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,748 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Dva just feels like a worse Winston at the moment to me. Both super mobile tanks who get up in the opponents face and cause disruption and distract their team. Winston just feels better in doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Dva just feels like a worse Winston at the moment to me. Both super mobile tanks who get up in the opponents face and cause disruption and distract their team. Winston just feels better in doing so.

Absolutely. Winston's Tesla Cannon doesn't do great damage, but it can hit multiple targets, and doesn't slow movement speed while using it. His bubble also doesn't prevent him from firing. Pounce on a Widow and she won't be able to get away, it's easy as hell to get a bead on her. He also doesn't have a ridiculously large, centered hitbox that makes it almost guaranteed to land headshots.

One thing a lot of people are saying about D.Va is to move the crit box behind, like Bastions:

bastion-headshot-area.jpg

• Advertisement

I hate a good Widowmaker. Only thing that makes me rage in this game. Every other class seems to work for their kills except the damn widow camping at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The majority of Reaper players seem to think the game is about kill streaks and not the objectives.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I can't stand when my team take too high a defensive line while split up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I hate a good Widowmaker. Only thing that makes me rage in this game. Every other class seems to work for their kills except the damn widow camping at the back.
    Much more hate for Hanzo personally; at least Widowmaker has to be in line of sight while Hanzo between Ultimate and the split arrow thing can remain out of sight for the kills...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Had an AMAZING team game last night.

Ilios (Temple), Control

Us: 0% | Them: 99%
    Overtime
    We won.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Had an AMAZING team game last night.

Ilios (Temple), Control

Us: 0% | Them: 99%
    Overtime
    We won.

That happens far too frequently

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

That happens far too frequently

Ive had it happen a couple of times too, and ive heard suggestions Blizz have tweaks in that encourage it somehow but I dont understand the "far too frequently" thing?

Even knowing it might be tweaked so it happens more than it should it still makes for epic endings where everyone is throwing everything they have at the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

My days seem to be as follows

-play until level up
    -get loot box
    -leave game
    -open lootbox with anticipation
    -look up to see maybe 2 blues or a maybe a purple coin if I'm lucky spinning in the air
    -coins land
    -blue sprays or purple emotes for champions I don't play
    -turn off game in disappointment
    -repeat an hour later

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

is it me or is the blue always second in from the right?

meant to be like that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Internet Ham

I can't imaging D.VA being much better. She seems to be designed to break the enemy lines, which she does pretty flawlessly. The flight pack seems to be her best weapon - boost in behind a group and it causes chaos.

I can't imaging D.VA being much better. She seems to be designed to break the enemy lines, which she does pretty flawlessly. The flight pack seems to be her best weapon - boost in behind a group and it causes chaos.

Except that Winston is far better in every regard at that job, he can pounce in, pop his bubble, etc, his Tesla Cannon can hit multiple targets and does fairly consistent damage with no fall off once they're in range, and he can effectively take out many backline characters. His pounce does more damage to characters he lands on than D.Va bopping them while boosting, and his bubble doesn't prevent him from firing, whereas D.Va can't fire while boosting or shielding, and is effectively rooted when firing. Not to mention Winston has far better survivability.

Except that Winston is far better in every regard at that job, he can pounce in, pop his bubble, etc, his Tesla Cannon can hit multiple targets and does fairly consistent damage with no fall off once they're in range, and he can effectively take out many backline characters. His pounce does more damage to characters he lands on than D.Va bopping them while boosting, and his bubble doesn't prevent him from firing, whereas D.Va can't fire while boosting or shielding, and is effectively rooted when firing. Not to mention Winston has far better survivability.

Jeez, sorry.

Winston has the lowest dps in the game

Jeez, sorry.
    Oh hey, no. I hope I didn't come across angry or anything! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I didn't read it like that, anyway.

It's okay. I forgive you. Winston confuses me though, I melt him 9/10 times as D.VA. I tried him and found him very lacking.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

It's okay. I forgive you. Winston confuses me though, I melt him 9/10 times as D.VA. I tried him and found him very lacking.
    Love him for when you need to push the objective; ride on truck, put down shield, shoot things that come close (and the shield is only down for like 1s on cooldown timers). If you really want to piss the enemy team odd add Bastion in sentry mode inside the shield riding on it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

I'm having a lot of fun playing with Zenyata at the moment. It's almost like a metagame within the game. Like whack-a-mole keeping people's health up, and he's pretty good on offense too when you discord someone. Been getting pretty good with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Xenji wrote: »
    The majority of Reaper players seem to think the game is about kill streaks and not the objectives.

i've had loads of games now where i'm literally the only one moving the payload the entire game. everyone else just running around looking for kills.

anyone with high objective time at the end gets my vote now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement