Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overwatch - Blizzard's latest game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

6 hours left in the season and on 3427. One last push to try to finish the season in masters!

Edit: Scratch that. Two quitters in a row lead to two losses. Fúck that noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Played a good bit over the weekend, enjoyed it, any teamwork that happened was pretty much accidental, haven't heard anyone on the mic. If I came up against a half organised team it was game over really. Plenty of easy to use characters though so it's not hard to get started

In QP the most coordinated you'll get is Genji looking for a nanoboost or Zarya ult so he can grab that sweet, sweet POTG.

Team comps say it all, the backbone of every team is its Tanks and Healers. Half your team should be tanks and healers, sickening amount of games where you're forced to pick Hog as you're the only tank so you need to stay alive with no healers, while Widow, Hanzo and Genji dick around asking for healing.

Obviously QP is for practise but I find a large amount of people seem to have no interest in practising tanks or supports.

Its a lot better in comp, you'll get more on voice chat, more coordination, better hero picks and the Widows and Hanzos tend to be better instead of detrimental to the team.

About how good wpuld you want to be to start playing comp. Another friend bought It as well so can get a bit of teamwork. At this stage I don't even know who a healer or tank is or how to play with them so just getting started really

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

About how good wpuld you want to be to start playing comp. Another friend bought It as well so can get a bit of teamwork. At this stage I don't even know who a healer or tank is or how to play with them so just getting started really

Whenever you feel comfortable I guess, I have no FPS background and went straight to comp at Lvl. 25 and did sound.

In comp, you play 10 Placement Matches, and based on how well you do you're given a score. So J. Mars above you has 3400 odd, which is great, mine is about 2100, which is meh. But you'll only be matched with people in or around your score. As you win, the system decides you're getting better and you get a higher score and play better opponents, and vice versa with losing.

So you're pretty safe to just jump into Comp play.

As for Tanks, Healers etc, the first bracket of hero's in the hero selection screen are your Offense, generally high DPS hero's, pretty flexible in combat situations. Next is defense, these guys are better at shutting down an area of the map. Tanks are the third bracket, high health and some form of shielding come with them, except for Roadhog. Finally you have Supports, all of whom except Symettra are healers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

That's good stuff thanks I'll watch a few videos in work 2moro get to grips with it all

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I got Soldier's cyborg skin there. Real nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

You'll be placed against people the same level as you.
    Even if you won all 10 placement matches, you'd probably end up in Silver/Gold because you have only played so many Quickplays against similar people up to that point.

There is a hidden MMR system I believe, which has a rating for you and places you around there for quickplay games etc.

So next season when qualifying comes around, even though we have no ranks,
    if J.Marsden was to win 6 and say Digital won 6, Marsden would probably still be high gold/plat and Digital maybe silver....because they still have an MMR rating that they can't see. Up to that point J,Marsden has been playing with and against higher level opponents.

The grind is real, and it will be slow progress, but just go for it if you wanna play. You can mute chat and hide chat to avoid any toxicity.

BUT , you should try play heroes you are comfortable with, don't play random ones you never use in Competitive, there are 5 others on your team who are TRYING hard to win. (mostly)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,108 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Season over and I've finished with 131 wins and 130 losses. Season high of 2773 and finished at 2470.

In the middle of the season I lost quite a bit of SR after they made the change to the On Fire meter and I was averaging 19 SR for a win and 29 SR for a loss. By the end of the season that has balanced back out and I'm back to earning around 26 for a win and 22 for a loss.

40 hours on Lucio was my most played hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Finished with 1974, but as placement started me at 1580 I'm not too upset. Might even get back into Gold next season :-O

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Adventagious

fixxxer wrote: »
    Finished with 1974, but as placement started me at 1580 I'm not too upset. Might even get back into Gold next season :-O

400 SR climb is damn good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

2676 finish which was up from around 2000 when I got back into the game, possibly could have gotten higher but I kinda stopped playing comp after hitting plat and got distracted by other games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

https://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/eu/kikimaru024-2681/season/4

27/21/6, finished at 2054

I gave up on Comp for a while there.

Oh well. Looking at my stats, I'm doing alright with Soldier & Pharah in terms of damage/kills, however I'm not staying alive.
    Will try to upp my Sombra play, too.

I'm enjoying Orisa a lot more lately. She can be a read rock on defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Her ability to almost completely keep dropping shields is a complete annoyance at the moment. Not sure I'm a fan of that buff.

Is that what's different? I was wondering why I wasn't dying much. When I first used her I wasn't a big fan after a while of being mashed.

Actually coming up against her and that infinite shield is really annoying. It realistically could use a longer cooldown.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I actually like what they did with Orisa now. I believe they reduced the cooldown from 12-8 seconds and they nerfed her chaingun a tiny bit.

I think this makes her a lot more viable really as she can't really attack too much, she gets destroyed really quickly. With this she can support others a lot better by giving that protection. The shield itself has enough shortcomings where I think the cooldown is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

She can be very tricky to beat in 1v1 depending on who you end up picking cause of the constant shields

Ah so the gun has been nerfed? Fair trade off, so.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,287 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Genji or tracer make **** of her. Her gun isn't hitscan either so takes a bit of skill to hit fast movers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

https://www.overbuff.com/blog/2017-05-25-overwatch-hero-tier-list-and-meta-report-anniversary-time-capsule

Amusing to see Lucio still has a 92% pick rate in eSports matches.
    Tracer & Winston next most picked at 78% & 72%.

Makes me wish I could aim with that speedy bint.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    https://www.overbuff.com/blog/2017-05-25-overwatch-hero-tier-list-and-meta-report-anniversary-time-capsule

Amusing to see Lucio still has a 92% pick rate in eSports matches.
    Tracer & Winston next most picked at 78% & 72%.

Makes me wish I could aim with that speedy bint.

He has such a high pick rate because he's the only character that can speed his team through choke points faster.

• Advertisement

Has there or is there going to be any significant buffs/nerfs before the next season starts?

J. Marston wrote: »
    Has there or is there going to be any significant buffs/nerfs before the next season starts?

It's starting in this week and I don't believe there is anything on PTR so doubtful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

J. Marston wrote: »

All the major changes went through with the last patch when the event started.

J. Marston wrote:

Doomfist

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

fixxxer wrote: »
    Doomfist

hes not in any mined stuff though

Comp is a shítshow in the off-season, understandably.

I love Mei's new voiceline. Had a Rein charging at me, put up my wall but at the same time blocked our Rein's Earthshatter, which he didn't appreciate.

"I was only trying to help!"

This is messy. Might leave it until competitive is back.

J. Marston wrote:
    I love Mei's new voiceline. Had a Rein charging at me, put up my wall but at the same time blocked our Rein's Earthshatter, which he didn't appreciate.

I had a mei on my team I was sure was a sleeper agent for the opposition. Blocked me rein charge and earth shatter during defence and my Dva bomb on offence. Hadn't got mic on at that stage which was a blessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Terrlock

I just tried this game on my 3440X1440 monitor, has borders on the side, really annoying as can't use my full resolution

• Advertisement

Not sure why off season even exists.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement