Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overwatch - Blizzard's latest game

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Internet Ham

froog wrote: »
    i've had loads of games now where i'm literally the only one moving the payload the entire game. everyone else just running around looking for kills.

anyone with high objective time at the end gets my vote now.

Same. I wish there was a way to vote down people at the end who are just running aimlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

i've had loads of games now where i'm literally the only one moving the payload the entire game. everyone else just running around looking for kills.

anyone with high objective time at the end gets my vote now.

Well as a DPS player, I see part of my "objective" as thining the enemy numbers for easier pushes and overwhelm the opposition. considering how squishy they are, it's bad play imo for a DPS player to be pushing the payload. They should be flanking and disrupting the enemy. Especially with Reaper or Genji. Solider is kinda ok to be leading the front line in terms of DPS focus, McCree also to a certain extent considering his mobility.

But the last thing I want to see a reaper or Genji on my team doing, is camping behind a payload.

• From what I'm reading online, seems to be a severe lack of anyone willing to play as a support class?
    Also, people already suffering burnout after the 15 - 20 hour mark?
    62 Euro seems very steep but alot of people in my friends list picked it up to play online.
    Still not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

TheDoc wrote: »
    Well as a DPS player, I see part of my "objective" as thining the enemy numbers for easier pushes and overwhelm the opposition. considering how squishy they are, it's bad play imo for a DPS player to be pushing the payload. They should be flanking and disrupting the enemy. Especially with Reaper or Genji. Solider is kinda ok to be leading the front line in terms of DPS focus, McCree also to a certain extent considering his mobility.

But the last thing I want to see a reaper or Genji on my team doing, is camping behind a payload.

true enough. but time is so limited in payload, if someone sees an opportunity to move it safely they should. i see people running right past it with seconds left.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

true enough. but time is so limited in payload, if someone sees an opportunity to move it safely they should. i see people running right past it with seconds left.

Yip. Happens on defence too. Yesterday I saw a Hanzo stand nearby sniping while the payload get delivered when all it needed was one body to contest it while the rest of the team respawned and came back. He just had to jump down.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    From what I'm reading online, seems to be a severe lack of anyone willing to play as a support class?
    Also, people already suffering burnout after the 15 - 20 hour mark?
    62 Euro seems very steep but alot of people in my friends list picked it up to play online.
    Still not sure

Loads playing support,never really an issue.
    I played 20 hours of beta about 23 of full game and still love it,best game ive played in years.
    This will have a long shelf life guaranteed.

€62 you must be on console?

Lot cheaper on PC.

• Dcully wrote: »
    Loads playing support,never really an issue.
    I played 20 hours of beta about 23 of full game and still love it,best game ive played in years.
    This will have a long shelf life guaranteed.

€62 you must be on console?

Lot cheaper on PC.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Correct, was thinking of PS4 version
    Are support classes equally rewarded in this case?

Longevity will be added with some proper lobbies and matchmaking. It feels a bit arcade-y at present.

Was having a lot of fun with Winston. I absolutely hate campers (widow/ bow guy) so there is nothing more satisfying when I leap beside them and watch them squirm as the super slow tesla gun melts them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I'm actually enjoying the quick play a lot, so many multiplayer games just have folks running the same popular map over and over.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I have to admit the things that may have some players concerned about 'longevity' are some of things I love about this game, so far anyway. It's such a welcoming, accessible game, but doesn't sacrifice depth for that. I'm the sort of player who will play for an hour or two a night max, and at the moment it's great to have a game I feel like I can drop into for a few quick games without having to worry about some big meta-game or the pursuit of higher levels. Reminds me of Titanfall in that sense, although even that had a far more in-depth levelling system.

Anyway, I always get the impression that there'll always be a few players eager to break a multiplayer game as soon as possible - put in insane amounts of hours on release and inevitably burnout, no matter how deep the game is. As I said earlier in the thread, I hope Blizzard manage to retain players without abandoning what makes the game so enjoyable in its current state. More heroes, maps, modes and of course the (optional :pac:) competitive mode - but hopefully in a way that means anybody will still be able to pop in this time next year and enjoy a few games without feeling like they have to commit dozens of hours to it :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Correct, was thinking of PS4 version
    Are support classes equally rewarded in this case?

Well considering when I go support the chances of my team winning is much improved.
    I find mercy a lot of fun to play, flying about the place healing, ,it really is an all action support to play.

Most of the healers really can change the game so yes in that sense they are rewarding to play.

See what you think of mercy in this vid, it gives you a good idea of how she is to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'd imagine when the ranked comes into play, longevity concerns will somewhat be removed.

Like most modern Fps games, and the modern players playing them, they feel the need for "progression" and its simply not enough playing the game, without feeling a tangible reward. So worth pointing out that as well. The game likely won't get boring, but playing it without progression will for many

I have to admit the things that may have some players concerned about 'longevity' are some of things I love about this game, so far anyway. It's such a welcoming, accessible game, but doesn't sacrifice depth for that. I'm the sort of player who will play for an hour or two a night max, and at the moment it's great to have a game I feel like I can drop into for a few quick games without having to worry about some big meta-game or the pursuit of higher levels. Reminds me of Titanfall in that sense, although even that had a far more in-depth levelling system.

Anyway, I always get the impression that there'll always be a few players eager to break a multiplayer game as soon as possible - put in insane amounts of hours on release and inevitably burnout, no matter how deep the game is. As I said earlier in the thread, I hope Blizzard manage to retain players without abandoning what makes the game so enjoyable in its current state. More heroes, maps, modes and of course the (optional :pac:) competitive mode - but hopefully in a way that means anybody will still be able to pop in this time next year and enjoy a few games without feeling like they have to commit dozens of hours to it :)

A very select few of online games I will completely obsess over; Counter-strike and Starcraft are the only two that come to mind. This could be one of them. I'd still only play for an hour or two every night but I will do so for years. I will learn the game inside-out until it becomes entirely about the competition. Strange that you refer to that as "eager to break", all the most lasting games are broken I guess! Right now this game is very much still about discovery so that's fine. But if it is to graduate to higher leagues of an e-sport, it absolutely needs an airtight 6v6 lobby system with rankings and matchmaking. It will be the difference between playing this for 40 hours or 1000 hours.

Sweet, first time getting a legendary skin I actually wanted, the B.Va skin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,006 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Hmm for some reason just not getting into this - almost have more fun watching streamers play it than having a go myself

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

**** turrets. **** double turrets.

And especially **** double turrets and a Bastion.

Anyone on Xbox constantly being paired with extremely poor teammates this evening? Whatever game I join, my team seem uninterested by the objective. It is ****ing infuriating.

I'm having a bad time.

When I tried the open beta, I was amazed that I was actually really enjoying a PVP game for once, that the community playing Overwatch were really cool. I don't know if things got toxic in general, or I just had extremely bad luck with some groups I was running into, but tonight was frustrating beyond belief. First it was a pair of Mei griefers who walled us inside our starting area, they were abusive as hell, then left after a while, leaving us ****ed for the game. I kept running into groups where people were being really abusive, but I kept playing because I wanted to have a couple of games that I actually enjoyed instead, but that didn't happen. Tonight really, really soured me on the game. Nothing sucks the fun out of a game more than a toxic playerbase, and I was seriously enjoying the game up until today.

Had a bad day of it the other day. Had the same with the Mei walling their own team during the rush for the objective. A Hanzo who stayed in the spawn point trying to shoot the basketball up into the net. The entire day, I was on rubbish teams. So I played Doom until today.

A few more mates are getting it this week so I'll go back to it then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

The more I solo play Overwatch the more infuriated I get. It actually puts me in a bad mood and I've started to stop playing.

It's just SO annoying to have potato teams full of genjis and snipers when you're trying to move the payload. I often find I have to default to heals because no one wants to play it or if you do get a healer they're sh*t (Zenyatta thinking he's an offensive tank and just repeat dying is my personal 'fave').

I'm lucky I have 3 other mates who play so when we're all playing together the game is great but solo queue.... I dunno if I can cope anymore, I might need therapy before too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Links234 wrote: »
    I'm having a bad time.

When I tried the open beta, I was amazed that I was actually really enjoying a PVP game for once, that the community playing Overwatch were really cool. I don't know if things got toxic in general, or I just had extremely bad luck with some groups I was running into, but tonight was frustrating beyond belief. First it was a pair of Mei griefers who walled us inside our starting area, they were abusive as hell, then left after a while, leaving us ****ed for the game. I kept running into groups where people were being really abusive, but I kept playing because I wanted to have a couple of games that I actually enjoyed instead, but that didn't happen. Tonight really, really soured me on the game. Nothing sucks the fun out of a game more than a toxic playerbase, and I was seriously enjoying the game up until today.

Pretty much what happened to me and the OH last night when we played.

On the Egypt map we got tunneled in by two turrets and a Bastion with two Mercys to heal them and had no real way of getting through.

Those turrets must get a nerf soon because it's the perfect example of a no skill kill.

edit:
    With that said, I've only had 1 unenjoyable night so far so I'll keep playing it as I am for the most part having a lot fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Must have been something last night so, because I had a run of really bad games too. I'd be surprised so far that for the most part the random teams while not very organsied did an alright job of co-ordinating in some way. Then last night had several games that were just a disaster. 2 Hanzos, a Widowmaker, a reaper no tank with me as support while trying to defend Dorado. Madness. I gave up even trying to heal. The Reaper woul dbe fine in a well-balanced team. But 3 snipers is ridiculous. Luckily the game was over in nearly 2 minutes!

I'm hoping that a similar thing happens that happened with The Last of Us multiplayer. That for the first couple of weeks you had a large bunch of people trying to play it like Call of Duty and then they began to disappear as they got bored with a more tactical game, and it left the people who got and enjoyed the game. Fingers crossed anyway. The Ranked mode should go some way to helping too.

Has anyone figured out a good counter to a Bastion and Reinhardt sitting on the payload as it moves? If I have a half decent team I can sometimes take them out with Pharah flying above them.

Reaper ghosts in behind them quite well. I've taken our a few with Symmetras orb if you can get it from a distance, bypasses the shield.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Grayditch wrote: »
    Reaper ghosts in behind them quite well. Ice taken our a few with Symmetras orb if you can get it from a distance, bypasses the shield.

Nice, didn't think of Symmetras orb, haven't really played her that much as I'm finding it tricky to get a handle on her.

NotorietyH wrote: »
    Nice, didn't think of Symmetras orb, haven't really played her that much as I'm finding it tricky to get a handle on her.

I play her the most but she is tricky to get to grips with. On defence she's an absolute powerhouse with the turrets, when you place them behind walls facing the objective. If you can master the art if bunnyhopping, her ray is vicious after about 2-3 seconds and starts to ruin the enemies health bar and if your turrets are helping with that, you'll absolutely mince people.

She's not amazing on offence, however her ultimate is ridiculous if you place the teleporter cleverly, you can open up a gate from the spawn to an unexpected entry point for your team to attack an objective.

I'm glad I wasn't imagining things last night. It was absolutely awful but picked up after midnight. Had a couple of good games before bed. It is a terrific game, hopefully the playerbase gets a better grip on things soon.

NotorietyH wrote: »
    Has anyone figured out a good counter to a Bastion and Reinhardt sitting on the payload as it moves?

Ram them with D.Va with her Defense Matrix up, Bastion won't be able to damage you, and you'll knock Reinhardt flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Genji is a tough character to get good with but man when you do and you're on form, it's so much fun.

There are few things better than reflecting all of Bastions bullets or a Widowmaker shot right back at them. Oh it's glorious.

Did 2500 worth of damage in reflections in one match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Lot of people annoyed at Gamespot atm, for being idiots.
    Posted a video comparing PS4 to PC...but deliberately set PC to low settings

I know it says gameplay, but the game is the same gameplay.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement