Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overwatch - Blizzard's latest game

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I read a post on Reddit which showed that your SR is linked heavily to On Fire. I've found that getting a 4+ man Res will leave me on Fire much longer than doing anything with either Zen or Lucio.
    That was debunked back in april; on fire is how you perform in relation to your team and the players in the match. Your SR is linked to how well you performed on the class vs. other people playing the same class. Hence why you can go up faster playing "odd" classes well compared to the main stream once because the selection of good players on "odd' classes tend to be fewer making you look better by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,106 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Nody wrote: »
    That was debunked over a month ago; on fire is how you perform in relation to your team and the players in the match. Your SR is linked to how well you performed on the class vs. other people playing the same class. Hence why you can go up faster playing "odd" classes well compared to the main stream once because the selection of good players on "odd' classes tend to be fewer making you look better by comparison.

Here's a video on it.

https://youtu.be/XW9ZYGQjCT8

I'll have a look for the thread in a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

All you Mercy one tricks who are climbing with a 40% win rate are what's making them look at her.

I read a post on Reddit which showed that your SR is linked heavily to On Fire. I've found that getting a 4+ man Res will leave me on Fire much longer than doing anything with either Zen or Lucio.

if that's the case, they don't have to nerf the character, just adjust how SR is allocated

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Here's a video on it.

https://youtu.be/XW9ZYGQjCT8
    Here's the Developers debunking it:
    Over the past few weeks we’ve been reviewing reports from players about how their SR gains after a win appear to be lower when they play as a support. I wanted to share some of the results of the investigations so far and clear up some community misconceptions along the way.

As part of the 1.9 Orisa patch, we made a change to how assist scoring was handled to address what we honestly considered to be a bug. Players were getting full assist credit even if the player being assisted did very little to the target. This change, along with other more significant balance changes in the patch, meant that we needed to recalibrate the tuning for the systems that calculate a player’s contribution to the match. This was performed for all heroes several weeks ago, and we’ve already recalibrated once more after the recent 1.10 patch.

The change to the handling of assists also affected how often a player might earn “On Fire” status during a match, but the amount a player is “On Fire” does not directly affect SR adjustments due to player performance. There is some correlation between the two because both systems are trying to measure “How well are you playing?”, but there are significant differences. The determination of being “On Fire” examines not just your own performance, but your performance relative to your teammates. The calculation of your SR adjustment after a match doesn’t look at your teammates, but instead compares you to the performance of other similarly skilled players with that hero across an enormous pool of competitive matches. So, we compare your Genji play to the play of other Genjis, Ana vs. Anas, etc. Since we’re comparing “apples to apples”, we shouldn’t see any kind of support specific bias in SR adjustments due to player performance.

We’re still seeing anecdotal reports of some players experiencing lower SR gains on wins, but we’ve also been seeing other reports from other support players that their SR gains look correct. Based upon our investigations so far doesn’t look like there’s a broad systemic issue affecting all supports across all competitive matches. There might be a more localized issue affecting a specific hero, or a certain type of play style or game situation. It also might be something completely unexpected, so we’re doing a thorough examination of all the code that affects SR adjustment.

In the meantime, we do appreciate everyone’s continued feedback and reports about this. They do help, we are looking at them, and if we find issues we’ll let you know. Thanks!

So SR is linked to On Fire. On Fire measures your performance against your teammates in a game along with your own stats. Your own personal stats are then compared after the game against other people who played your hero and your SR is calculated.

Low on fire time in a game means your not doing as well compared to your team so your stats are down, if your stats are down then at game end when compared to other people playing your hero you'll gain less SR for a win than "average".

• Advertisement

So SR is linked to On Fire.
    No. SR is linked to your performance vs. other players playing the same class, on fire is measured based on your performance against your team. Those are two very different measures that happen to use some of the same paramenters but they are not directly connected. You can get on fire by having a poor team but that will not improve your SR because your overall perforamance can still be poor; same way you can see people laughing about how they got gold medal as Mercy on kills which relates to performance in the match (ala on Fire) but got no direct correlation to SR short of exceeding the average (which is not required to be on fire in game).
    On Fire measures your performance against your teammates in a game along with your own stats. Your own personal stats are then compared after the game against other people who played your hero and your SR is calculated.
    Yes.
    Low on fire time in a game means your not doing as well compared to your team so your stats are down, if your stats are down then at game end when compared to other people playing your hero you'll gain less SR for a win than "average".
    No, it could simply mean that the rest of your team is better than you but you're still scoring better than average SR due to your team working well together and you getting the key heals/resses etc. in but the rest of the team on your side is even better. Once again you're not comparing the same items; your performance compared to your team performance in a game = Decide if you're on fire. Your class performance in the game vs. all other people playing the class in all games = decides your SR but as you're the only player of said class in your game you are not compared to the rest of your team's performance in that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

If they fix the Rez From Spawn then I don't see any problem with Mercy's ult. I mean, hiding or trying to heal your team is just part of in game tactics surely? If a team doesn't want Mercy to Rez then kill the Mercy. I've had a few games against teams where a reaper or a tracer would hunt me all across the map to keep me out of the game. Mercy is as effective as the enemy team let her be a lot of the time.

I saw a roadhog idea before where to hook acted like junkrats trap, i.e. it dragged you in but still let you move around so you had a better chance of surviving. I wonder if they tested out any option like that? He needs something to help keep him alive because as he is he's a liability to have on your team.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

fixxxer wrote: »
    If they fix the Rez From Spawn then I don't see any problem with Mercy's ult. I mean, hiding or trying to heal your team is just part of in game tactics surely? If a team doesn't want Mercy to Rez then kill the Mercy. I've had a few games against teams where a reaper or a tracer would hunt me all across the map to keep me out of the game. Mercy is as effective as the enemy team let her be a lot of the time.

I saw a roadhog idea before where to hook acted like junkrats trap, i.e. it dragged you in but still let you move around so you had a better chance of surviving. I wonder if they tested out any option like that? He needs something to help keep him alive because as he is he's a liability to have on your team.
    the problem is you cant shut the ult down its instant, any other ult can be turned off soldier, pharrah rein hog, lucio, zen etc mercy is shift q, invulnerable for everyone, it should have a smaller aoe or else a charge time per person

the problem is you cant shut the ult down its instant, any other ult can be turned off soldier, pharrah rein hog, lucio, zen etc mercy is shift q, invulnerable for everyone, it should have a smaller aoe or else a charge time per person

The problem before was that Mercy couldn't get a Rez off as the other team were able to kill her before it took. It was too hard to do a meaningful rez.

Some fine tuning might help, like a slightly longer delay from when a player is revived to when they become active, or a slighty smaller AOE.

Good luck shutting down D'Va (possible to do in between the moment you jump out of the suit due to zero health and you can't be damaged only by a Sombra ultimate possibly), can't see Rheinhart being shut down, Sombra etc. so don't claim there are no precedents for ultimates that can't be stopped.

• Advertisement

Good luck shutting down D'Va (possible to do in between the moment you jump out of the suit due to zero health and you can't be damaged only by a Sombra ultimate possibly), can't see Rheinhart being shut down, Sombra etc. so don't claim there are no precedents for ultimates that can't be stopped.

winston bubble, rein shield, orissa shield, hide behind anything at all

Good luck shutting down D'Va (possible to do in between the moment you jump out of the suit due to zero health and you can't be damaged), can't see Rheinhart being shut down, Sombra etc. so don't claim there are no precedents for ultimates that can't be stopped.

Does he not mean you can't stop Mercy ressing once the button is pressed.

You can block Earthshatter and Dva bomb though.

I took it as meaning the Ult cant be stopped once its started, unlike say 76 who can still be killed while Ulting.

Reins is shut down loads of times, any shield stops it, can be killed mid animation, as can sombra

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Reinhardt can be put to sleep by Ana while he's ulting. It can also be shut down by a RH hook

I mean you'd want to be pretty good to do it but it's mechanically possible

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Reinhardt gets shut down a fair bit. He drops his shield for only a few reasons; Charge, Firestrike and Earthshatter. To swing his hammer too but usually that's only if a team fight gets short range and messy.

I don't play him a lot but I find myself having to bluff a lot to get some success. Drop your shield and jump and you might force Winston to drop his shield or Zarya to bubble.

Reinhardt changes up on PTR, along with McRee and Zarya. Zarya change could be very good.

Reinhardt changes up on PTR, along with McRee and Zarya. Zarya change could be very good.

Do you have a link? Can't seem to find it on their mobile site.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Mercy's res isnt "instant" there is a slight delay from pressing the button for it to actually rez tho isnt there? I know I have tried rez'ing people only to be melted in the process and the rez to not work.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Like the Graviton change. Annoying when you catch 4-5 in it and 2-3 are able to escape.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,286 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Will Orissa be the only one that can get out now? Or is she included in that change?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I love all of these changes.

I don't really get why they removed damage when two heroes collide with charge but it doesn't really matter either.

When do people expect Doomfist to go live? Next Tuesday?

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Mercy's res isnt "instant" there is a slight delay from pressing the button for it to actually rez tho isnt there? I know I have tried rez'ing people only to be melted in the process and the rez to not work.

It was changed in February I think, but once the Ult starts, Mercy is invulnerable to damage for the length of time it takes the rez to happen.

fixxxer wrote: »
    Do you have a link? Can't seem to find it on their mobile site.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20757587228

You can't be killed once you press the button though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

This is the Mercy stuff that was in PTR: https://pvplive.net/c/overwatch-mercy-resurrect-change-spawn

You can't be killed once you press the button though.

Well i pressed triangle and still died, not sure if its because im taking damage as I hit triangle etc but I have been killed without the rez been pulled off.

Well i pressed triangle and still died, not sure if its because im taking damage as I hit triangle etc but I have been killed without the rez been pulled off.

I thought I read that once the button is pressed you become invulnerable to damage? I think it's when you Glow.

I thought I read that once the button is pressed you become invulnerable to damage? I think it's when you Glow.

Yeah when you glow but there is a delay from the time you press the button(it could only be 1 second) to the time you start glowing. We were in a game and there were 3 down on the point, it flew to one corpse and was spamming triangle, nobody res'd and i was nuked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

There's a delay on console anyway. Nothing as bad as the delay on Mei's ice block and/or getting a foot on the point on time on Overtime. Must be a connection thing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement