Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overwatch - Blizzard's latest game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Junkrat will be able to get in every nook and cranny in no time. He's the new teleporter hunter. He'll be able to get out of danger quicker too. Fantastic.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Grayditch wrote: »
    Junkrat will be able to get in every nook and cranny in no time. He's the new teleporter hunter. He'll be able to get out of danger quicker too. Fantastic.

I must start using him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Unless you're a Lucio who will now need to be extra careful buzzing around if the trap can take 55% of his health away. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Booping Rein away with Pharah is funny. You see him looking around thinking what the hell :D

I would have said Pharah, Reaper, Mercy, Dva and Mei would be quite good with Rein, especially holding a choke. Both Mei (wall) and Dva (defense matrix) can soak up damage and allow Rein to recharge his barrier. If Mei walls off an enemy as well it allows Rein to swing freely as well as the wall will block the enemy team shooting you.

Yeah, some maps you can defo get away with it like you said say Hanamura Defense (I think we still use him there, but I do change to Zarya 80% of the time we're defending, so that makes the world of difference as I combo/Bubble with Rhein). But most of the rest of the time Pharmercy and Reaper will be off doing their own things

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

IvoryTower wrote: »
    so what level do you not pick rein?

When you're expecting a dive comp from the enemy, that includes attack or defensive dive comps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'll probably notice less Genji killing, but I think this will be great for him. I'll try enjoy it before they take it away, because it sounds too good to be true.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I'll probably notice less Genji killing, but I think this will be great for him. I'll try enjoy it before they take it away, because it sounds too good to be true.

Winston is the man for taking care of Genji now :P

• Registered Users Posts: 28,104 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Yeah, some maps you can defo get away with it like you said say Hanamura Defense (I think we still use him there, but I do change to Zarya 80% of the time we're defending, so that makes the world of difference as I combo/Bubble with Rhein). But most of the rest of the time Pharmercy and Reaper will be off doing their own things

Better Reaper than Genji though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Winston is the man for taking care of Genji now :P

I keep meaning to learn Winston properly. I die an awful lot when I pick him.

fixxxer wrote: »

Yeah so do I, i must ask Dudeeile for a few pointers cos hes class as him :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Where does that leave Pharah? :(

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Where does that leave Pharah? :(

Pharah is still a pain in the rear in fairness :) I dont think that will change for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Yup, Rhein is now situational, not a constant.

As a Pharah I love coming across enemy Rheins that have not realised this yet, just peppering them from the sky while they just take it with none of their teammates around.

I'm always pretty vocal with my mates around picking/not picking Rhein. If you don't have a static (?) healer like Ana or Zen and a Soldier or McCree type ranged player then you're probably better off not picking him.

Like sometimes we'd have Pharah, Reaper, D.Va, Mercy, Mei and Rhein compliments none of those players.
    If you're gonna play death-ball/triple-tank, you gotta commit >4/6ths of your comp to it (with the rest being flankers)

you pretty vocal with your team-mates.....surely you jest sir

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

fixxxer wrote: »

Jump, then boost, every moment you spend in the air is a moment off cooldown. And reload when you're jumping. And punch when you land.

You have to pick your fights, you can fight Supports, Genjis, Widow and some Tracers and Hanzos 1v1, pretty much everyone else will beat you in a straight up fight.

The bubble drops when you press the button, not where the animation shows, so make sure to drop it at the right time, if you drop it in the air, it can protect you for part of your fall.

Your bubble can catch D.Va and Lucio Ults.

Don't initiate fights, especially on KOTH, I normally rush until I'm close to the point, sit tight for 5-7 seconds (for Genjis and Tracer), and if they don't appear then bypass all the DPS and Tanks and go straight for the healers.

If you hang around with Lucio, D.Va or Zen you'll have a great time, but Winny is one hero I can use in 90% of matches and team comps no hassle. If there's a Bastion, switch though.

If there's a solo player shooting you at range, leap over them while firing, you'll get a few ticks of dmg, the landing dmg, the punch AND end up behind them. It can backfire if you jump too late as you are jumping into fire, but its pretty effective in most cases.

Avoid D.Va if possible. Baby D.Va is Winny lunch though.

Finally, you can't 1v1 very many people at full health but that doesn't mean jumping into a 2v1 is a bad shout, just do some damage and get out of there asap.

Fairly solid advice right there ^

I "Mained" Winston around season 1 and got fairly handy with him.
    Only thing I'd add is consider your bubble like 2x 1-way walls.

You jump towards Genji and place your bubble, he is outside the bubble, you are inside it, you can damage him, he can't damage you.
    He walks forward into the bubble, you walk backwards out, you can damage him, he can't damage you
    He gets pi$$ed and sword swipes you, placing him (again) outside the bubble, you walk back into the bubble, you can damage him, he can't damage you
    Now you're talking about Winston who can do ~80-120 damage in before he dies sans bubble, now he has 3x opportunities to do so (~200->350 damage) without taking too much incoming damage
    I've killed D.Vas and Roadhogs and Rheins 1v1 doing this Bubble dance.

Everyone seems to understand being in the bubble shooting out, what separates the ok from the good is choosing sensible moments to be outside the bubble shooting in.

Overall, this lets you win some 1v1s you'd normally lose (lets say Zenyatta or Soldier maybe?) if you ONLY placed the bubble and stood inside it and either waited for them to push in or break the bubble.

Caveat being not stepping backwards out of the bubble in this scenario duelling a single player if his other 5 players are ready to pounce you (but tbh, if thats the case, you're probably already dead)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Yep, just remembered I had forgotten bubble dancing.

If you can bubble dance your chances of winning 1v1s skyrocket, I've beaten Reapers, S76, even D.VA's with good footwork, its rare with the likes of D.Va or Reaper though.

It was easier with Reaper. Now he just sees you as a Health Pack

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Also, don't drop your bubble as soon as you land. I started doing that almost reflexively when Jumping onto people and realised there was nearly always a few seconds I could have held off on doing it which would have been better spent choosing a better place.

Oh and your Jump gets reset when you trigger your ult, so if you need to get on to a Point fast, you can Jump, pop your ult and immediately Jump again to cover a lot of ground.

Speaking of Reaper, if you do happen to find yourself close to him and you aren't already dead, if he pops his Ult, drop your bubble and Jump away. It may buy the rest of your team a precious second or two to evade also.

Along with all that's been said.

Jump with as much height as you can when engaging or reloading, drop your bubble while you're in the air and try slide off walls/roofs gain a few seconds on your next jump cooldown. Focus the backline (mercy widow ana lucio hanzo) along with another flanker. Use primal rage when you're about to die, and focus on throwing players out of position, or trap a support and kill them, if you're taking too much damage just run away. The key to winston is dont die.

Focus D.VA especially if she has defense matrix up.

If they have a reaper you should probably switch off

94% Comp Hero Rank on Winston on Overbuff 3300-3500 SR

• Registered Users Posts: 28,104 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Jump, then boost, every moment you spend in the air is a moment off cooldown. And reload when you're jumping. And punch when you land.

You have to pick your fights, you can fight Supports, Genjis, Widow and some Tracers and Hanzos 1v1, pretty much everyone else will beat you in a straight up fight.

The bubble drops when you press the button, not where the animation shows, so make sure to drop it at the right time, if you drop it in the air, it can protect you for part of your fall.

Your bubble can catch D.Va and Lucio Ults.

Don't initiate fights, especially on KOTH, I normally rush until I'm close to the point, sit tight for 5-7 seconds (for Genjis and Tracer), and if they don't appear then bypass all the DPS and Tanks and go straight for the healers.

If you hang around with Lucio, D.Va or Zen you'll have a great time, but Winny is one hero I can use in 90% of matches and team comps no hassle. If there's a Bastion, switch though.

If there's a solo player shooting you at range, leap over them while firing, you'll get a few ticks of dmg, the landing dmg, the punch AND end up behind them. It can backfire if you jump too late as you are jumping into fire, but its pretty effective in most cases.

Avoid D.Va if possible. Baby D.Va is Winny lunch though.

Finally, you can't 1v1 very many people at full health but that doesn't mean jumping into a 2v1 is a bad shout, just do some damage and get out of there asap.

What do you mean the bubble can stop a Lucio Ult? Is it if you get a bubble over a Ulting Lucio it stops his Ult hitting his teammates?

I'd a really good two stack on my team last week. They played Zen and Winston. The Winston was great and seriously impressive. He only attacked who Zen discorded and the Zen switched Discord as soon as the enemies died.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

From watching pro play, Winston destroys Soldiers.
    As soon as they get their Ult, popping Primal Rage and jumping into them just eats up the entire aimbot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

have you pretty much always mained reaper?

I've always mained reaper but I play a handy anna, rein, dva, zarya, soldier, torb so flex when reaper wasnt working. Currently just under 100 hours of reaper though

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

papu wrote: »
    Along with all that's been said.

Jump with as much height as you can when engaging or reloading, drop your bubble while you're in the air and try slide off walls/roofs gain a few seconds on your next jump cooldown. Focus the backline (mercy widow ana lucio hanzo) along with another flanker. Use primal rage when you're about to die, and focus on throwing players out of position, or trap a support and kill them, if you're taking too much damage just run away. The key to winston is dont die.

Focus D.VA especially if she has defense matrix up.

If they have a reaper you should probably switch off

94% Comp Hero Rank on Winston on Overbuff 3300-3500 SR

97% hero rank on Winston on Overbuff, currently 3320SR. Get on my level!

Also in the 97th percentile with Junkrat. 95% with Torb.

On the other hand, I am absolute trash with Pharah. 34% hero rank.

5% with Widow and an 0-9 record this season! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Where can you see that % rank

J. Marston wrote: »
    97% hero rank on Winston on Overbuff, currently 3320SR. Get on my level!

Also in the 97th percentile with Junkrat. 95% with Torb.

On the other hand, I am absolute trash with Pharah. 34% hero rank.

5% with Widow and an 0-9 record this season! :pac:
    Comp stats? impressive.

I'm on PC though. :cool:
    Where can you see that % rank
    www.overbuff.com

It will only take stats from when you sign up though

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

papu wrote: »
    Comp stats? impressive.

I'm on PC though. :cool:

www.overbuff.com

It will only take stats from when you sign up though

Yep, comp. Winston doesn't need to aim, PC ShmeeCee!

J. Marston wrote: »
    Yep, comp. Winston doesn't need to aim, PC ShmeeCee!

Ya but your opponents do!:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Doomfist is great fun but why oh why is left handed attacks mapped to the right trigger and vice versa? My brain was confused until I swapped them around then it all became a bit easier.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Hmm. Are Doomfists items in packs yet. Bought 10 just there and got zero items. I'd have expected something from 40 items, especially since the rate of duplicates has been decreased.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement