Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overwatch - Blizzard's latest game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Adventagious

I've got four or five girls on my friend list. Two support mains, the others flex, tank and DPS. SR ranging from one in Plat up to GM.

Most of them don't often opt to talk outside of groups because of all the "buuhhhh mercy main grill" or just general idiocy whenever they use mics.

Streamers/youtubers have contributed a lot to the problem. Yep there's a good few female players who play mercy, likely a higher percentage than guys. So what. They're just people, they play games like the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

On Korean servers 90% are Mercy or DVA

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

SeantheMan wrote: »
    On Korean servers 90% are Mercy or DVA

Guess that means I won't be playing as Mercy on korean servers anytime soon :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I've got four or five girls on my friend list. Two support mains, the others flex, tank and DPS. SR ranging from one in Plat up to GM.

Most of them don't often opt to talk outside of groups because of all the "buuhhhh mercy main grill" or just general idiocy whenever they use mics.

Streamers/youtubers have contributed a lot to the problem. Yep there's a good few female players who play mercy, likely a higher percentage than guys. So what. They're just people, they play games like the rest of us.

Untwist your knickers there. Just something I've observed and clearly so has Marston. Didn't say they were bad players etc etc just when I hear a girl it's ALWAYS Mercy or DVA.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,100 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Untwist your knickers there. Just something I've observed and clearly so has Marston. Didn't say they were bad players etc etc just when I hear a girl it's ALWAYS Mercy or DVA.

I don't think Adventageous was annoyed at all.

• Advertisement

Knickers aint twisted, just giving some supporting evidence of my experience to the contrary and some of the reasoning why i think it's the case.

If people keep saying "all the girls i see are mercy mains" which annoys girls playing OW because of the stigma/implications, then they are less likely to start using their mics and therefore the stereotype goes unchecked and the problem persists.

I appreciate you're not saying that they're bad players here, but plenty of people do. The loudest voices often, such as streamers. No one can deny there's a tonne of implied shade in the term "mercy main" in the OW community.

Guess what i'm trying to say is that whether or not you personally believe that female OW players all play mercy (and/or they're not as good as guys), by perpetuating the point you're just making the problem worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

What problem? It's an observation.

The problem is perpetuating a negative stereotype which contributes to an unwelcoming atmosphere for female gamers.

Like, i don't want to get on a soap box here but this is sexism 101, pretty basic stuff...whether you choose to acknowledge the problem is up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

So can I assume now that when Mei freezes and fires an ice spike through my brain, its not actually me she thinks she's killing?

She instead sees the ghosts of her dead science team and is attempting to kill them in a sort of survivors guilt/PTSD sort of way?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

fixxxer wrote: »
    So can I assume now that when Mei freezes and fires an ice spike through my brain, its not actually me she thinks she's killing?

She instead sees the ghosts of her dead science team and is attempting to kill them in a sort of survivors guilt/PTSD sort of way?

Nope, I head she see's the real life you :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

The problem is perpetuating a negative stereotype which contributes to an unwelcoming atmosphere for female gamers.

Like, i don't want to get on a soap box here but this is sexism 101...whether you choose to acknowledge the problem is up to you.

But, what if it's based in actual truth or personal experience?

If I play with 5 female players, and 4 of them are Mercy Mains, are 80% of females not Mercy Mains to me?

No one has any actual statistical data to back this stuff up

Mostly Youtubers/Streamers are circlejerking, always have, always will.

They may not be 100% accurate, they may not be 100% innacurate.

If I play with 5 female players, and 4 of them are Mercy Mains, are 80% of females not Mercy Mains to me?

So what your saying is that because I main mercy I am 100% female now? :pac:

Fair enough, but my own experience above (and plenty of posts on OW reddit) before would imply there are loads of non-mercy main females, and the community's behaviour is causing the "statistics" to be even more skewed because they're inclined not to speak up.

I'm saying don't contribute to the circlejerk.

jonnycivic wrote: »
    So what your saying is that because I main mercy I am 100% female now? :pac:

Good old syllogisms!

I'm a female.
    All Females are mercy mains.
    Therefore i'm a mercy main.

Nope, I head she see's the real life you :P

That's actually proper terrifying.

Won't happen. 85% of the Mercy's you play with are Johnny civic!!

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Won't happen. 85% of the Mercy's you play with are Johnny civic!!

who we established now is 100% female so his point is still valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Like, i don't want to get on a soap box here but this is sexism 101, pretty basic stuff...whether you choose to acknowledge the problem is up to you.

Sexism? Give me a break.

I don't see how it's a negative stereotype. Calling all French players salty is probably a negative stereotype. I don't see how noticing there is a lot of female Mercy players is negative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

weird, not saying it's uncommon or anything, but it's by no means my experience that when I hear a woman on mic it's "ALWAYS" or even close to "99% of the time" a Mercy main. I have several female friends that play dps/tank/mei etc.

edit: admittedly, fact that i queue with them a bit skews my perspective so can't speak to others' experiences. but i do think the women/mercy main thing is overstated and sometimes even a bit condescending.

who we established now is 100% female so his point is still valid.

But if he plays Mercy 85% of the time and he's 100% female does that mean 60% of the time he picks Mercy every time?

• Advertisement

J. Marston wrote: »
    Sexism? Give me a break.

I don't see how it's a negative stereotype. Calling all French players salty is probably a negative stereotype. I don't see how noticing there is a lot of female Mercy players is negative.

Noticing is grand, commenting in a neutral way is grand! I'm not trying to jump down anyone's throat for making an observation.

Where i think the problem is that by stating the observation and not bothering to acknowledge the underlying causes (which are a problem in gaming) you aren't helping the situation. Have a look at this thread or even look through the reddit for some of the posts written from a female perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

emmetkenny wrote: »
    But if he plays Mercy 85% of the time and he's 100% female does that mean 60% of the time he picks Mercy every time?

ced29aa1321164a409c1ba3c89683f56--paul-rudd-quotes-it-works.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I play regularly with two girls. One is a Junkrat/Mercy main. Other is Zaraya/Soldier. Both lethal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I regularly play with other players, male and female, they all main different heroes.

Who cares once they're not Hanzo

Grayditch wrote: »
    I play regularly with two girls. One is a Junkrat/Mercy main. Other is Zaraya/Soldier. Both lethal.

What you on about, i never play as Junkrat :P

You're missing one of life's great pleasures.

Maybe next season :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Happy Birthdaay

BRRRRRRIIIIINNNNNGGGGGGGG!!!!

• Advertisement

Happy Birthdaay

I have all the "Happys" on voice short cut :D

If Junkrat does become more meta relevant next season its going to become pretty bizarre to go from being given out to for picking him to having to fight for the chance to play him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement