Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overwatch - Blizzard's latest game

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Having not played for a couple of months, it has taken me exactly one ranking game to remember why. 17 stars on their team, 2 on mine - from me. Four of them under rank 40. We didn't get around the first corner on Dorado.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,100 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Had a placement game there on my second Account, guy picks Anna and stands in spawn, we push it all the way, I wreck with Zen.

On defense he picks Zen so I can't play him. We lost because of him.

Next game he's on the enemy team and I enjoy every single kill I get on him with Zen. Even throw in a few peace sign emotes to sweeten the deal :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Having not played for a couple of months, it has taken me exactly one ranking game to remember why. 17 stars on their team, 2 on mine - from me. Four of them under rank 40. We didn't get around the first corner on Dorado.

Let me guess, youre stuck in elo hell, the ranking system is broken, matchmaking is broken, your team mates all suck and wont play as a team, you keep getting widow(thats my one), etc

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I despise the lack of comms. Or when there's kids just shouting. Such a contrast than playing with a decent team that makes calls than silence. It's a melt.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Stars don't mean a thing, I regulalry meet Silver Portrait players despite only being level 28 on PC, Silver starts at 600. Most people I end up playing with and against have 2-3 stars. Same story on PS4 where I had 3 stars, few players with 0-1, most with 2-3 and some with 5+.

Blaming your teammates playtime for a loss is a new one though
    WarpAsylum wrote: »
    I've been playing quite a bit of Orisa lately, so the cooldown is in my favour, but yeah, it does need longer to be fair.

Was it 12 and got lowered to 8? Can't fully remember the numbers but it does need a small nerf.

It would suit the mobile shield aspect to drop the health to 750 or so instead of putting the time back up though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Moira change may be a bug?
    https://youtu.be/0rOn9hn--zk

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Let me guess, youre stuck in elo hell, the ranking system is broken, matchmaking is broken, your team mates all suck and wont play as a team, you keep getting widow(thats my one), etc
    Stars don't mean a thing, I regulalry meet Silver Portrait players despite only being level 28 on PC, Silver starts at 600. Most people I end up playing with and against have 2-3 stars. Same story on PS4 where I had 3 stars, few players with 0-1, most with 2-3 and some with 5+.

Blaming your teammates playtime for a loss is a new one though

Was it 12 and got lowered to 8? Can't fully remember the numbers but it does need a small nerf.

It would suit the mobile shield aspect to drop the health to 750 or so instead of putting the time back up though.

Superb posts both.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

ELO Hell is real :(:(:(

Superb posts both.

I was joking at how we all react. You sound triggered m8 ,enjoy your next break

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Mercy pads my SR so much, it's ridiculous. Been filling this season, waiting until last and then picking what's needed. 9/10 that's Mercy.

I placed at 2844, season high of 3460. Stopped filling and picked what I wanted for the last two days, down to 3250.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

As soon as I played Moira I figured she needed a little nerfing. She's brilliant. I'd say they may have had her a little strong at the start so people could get used to her a bit more, maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

stars just signify how long they have played it has no reflection on skill at all.
    in quickplay usually you will be matched against players at your mmr, if someone at masters is with a bronze player in a duo that can skew it a bit but in general it works.

in comp your matched with people your on skill rank.

elo hell is a myth if your in gold for a few months then thats the rank you belong in. Yes you got a widow on your team and another game a guy left and an attack torb etc etc. for a few days sure , but after a few weeks you should climb if not your simply at the rank you belong.

and not playing for months and going straight to ranked is a bad idea, youd need a few quickplay games just to get used to any hero balances since you have been gone.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Mercy pads my SR so much, it's ridiculous. Been filling this season, waiting until last and then picking what's needed. 9/10 that's Mercy.

I placed at 2844, season high of 3460. Stopped filling and picked what I wanted for the last two days, down to 3250.

yeah same, i got up to 2830 with her and im sure if i had the time to play for a few hours back to back i could have climbed higher. Got fed up using her and i'm back down around 2600-2700

I've been playing just with my friends lately. They're all bronze/silver, squad of 4-6 most nights, its so much fun, best online experience ive had since halo 2. We discuss tactics during the day while at work and then implement them really badly in the evenings :pac:

I'll have another stab at ranking up when moira settles in

• Registered Users Posts: 33,758 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I get what you mean. Back in March/April shortly after I hit Level 100 and got my first star, all of a sudden I was being placed in matches against 3-5 star players, having rarely seen any before. It was part of what made me take a break from the game. Since coming back, most people in the matches I play have stars, and it definitely feels like in most matches the balance of stars is definitely on their side, and I've probably lost more than I've won.

But, I don't see that big a difference in actual skill. Maybe with some players and up against particular heroes, but for the most part I still get a good few kills, and most of the time we lose is because the other team are just working together so well, protecting each other and staying together (and because people won't rush to the payload/point to contest it when it's a few meters away from the goal, instead hanging back and trying to get kills (or the Zarya I caught in the last 30seconds of a match on Route 66 trying to place her sticker perfectly on the wall outside the spawn :mad:)). I won the first Deathmatch FFA I played the other night despite not knowing the map and being up against 3-5 star players. Experience only goes so far when the heroes/weapons/skills are the same for every player. Luck and skill can still tip an unhealthy balance.

I think at this stage too, given how long the game has been out most people playing would be 2+ stars anyway. I've 1 star despite only really playing vs AI for the first 3-4months the game was out as I had really sh*tty internet where I lived, then I gorged on the game between December and March and even by that stage I got 1 star. Unfortunately it just means some matches are going to end up with bad balances.

The matches aren't matched by stars, its by SR, how can people not know that!

You see when a comp game is about to start, and it lists the 2 teams with the average SR of both? It doesn't matter if everyone on one team has 5 stars and the other team has none, if they have similar sr then they're good to go. I've come up against as many bronze players with 3+ stars as anyone else

The matches aren't matched by stars, its by SR, how can people not know that!

Well I was talking more about Arcade (which admittedly I should have clarified). In Arcade it can definitely be pretty badly balanced.

Penn wrote: »
    Well I was talking more about Arcade (which admittedly I should have clarified). In Arcade it can definitely be pretty badly balanced.

ah okay I see, does arcade have its own ranking system?

ah okay I see, does arcade have its own ranking system?

Doesn't seem to be based on anything that I can see. In fairness the stars are usually fairly balanced (or as balanced as they can be) but there's nothing akin to an SR ranking or anything, and once a match is finished half the people tend to drop out anyway, usually forcing you back to the main menu while it searches for another game for you to join. I think in that way you're always likely to end up in some games where the teams aren't well balanced.

Its fun playing as Lucio now the Mercy rez has changed.

SPEED BOOST BOOP NO REZ FOR YOU

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Regular Rez seems so damn risky now. Not sure Blizzard are going about it the right way tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,281 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think it's perfect now, it requires utilising a bit of game sense and team work to pull them off and can actually be countered effectively.

Yep I think it's in a good place now. The team will have to cover a dead player so mercy can get in to rez. If I dont see mercy on the team it doesn't feel like it's insta-loss. Hopefully Moira will add to that as well

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,281 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I will enjoy Moira's first week in comp where you're guaranteed someone will actually pick a healer :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I will enjoy Moira's first week in comp where you're guaranteed someone will actually pick a healer :pac:

Cue the inevitable '' OMG YOU HAVE 0 HOURS PLAY TIME WITH HER''

Does she go live on Thursday?

Cue the inevitable '' OMG YOU HAVE 0 HOURS PLAY TIME WITH HER''

Inevitable unfortunately haha, though I don't think it will be as big an issue with her as she doesn't seem to have as much of a high ceiling as Sombra/Doomfist.

Penn wrote: »
    Doesn't seem to be based on anything that I can see. In fairness the stars are usually fairly balanced (or as balanced as they can be) but there's nothing akin to an SR ranking or anything, and once a match is finished half the people tend to drop out anyway, usually forcing you back to the main menu while it searches for another game for you to join. I think in that way you're always likely to end up in some games where the teams aren't well balanced.

All games modes use the same ranking system. Only competitive affects that rank though. The match making is looser in everything but comp to ensure a game

All games modes use the same ranking system. Only competitive affects that rank though. The match making is looser in everything but comp to ensure a game

Quick play matches you based on MMR but like you said the rules are not as strict.

Stars mean nothing other than time invested. A bronze player could have 5 stars and a diamond guy might have none.

Moria going live at 7am tomorrow Pacific standard time, is that 7pm here?

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20759516588#post-9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

symetra beam range up 2m on ptr....basically everyone bar rein has better range than reaper :( (i know his is 11 but bshe has a tiny gun with a wavy beam ffs)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement