Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overwatch - Blizzard's latest game

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,281 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

As if she wasn't enough of a pain in the hole. Weird if the Moira nerf was genuine but they go and make bloody symmetra more powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Adventagious

No need to panic, seems the buff to Symmetra and Mercy range is a bug.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,281 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Phew, I really didn't need that this early in the day :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Quick play matches you based on MMR but like you said the rules are not as strict.

Stars mean nothing other than time invested. A bronze player could have 5 stars and a diamond guy might have none.

What's MMR? I'm level 19 but it seems very common to be in quickmatch with people that are lv.90 for example.

Do some people just play quickmatch mostly or is it best to hit competitive once you're lv.25?

What's MMR? I'm level 19 but it seems very common to be in quickmatch with people that are lv.90 for example.

Do some people just play quickmatch mostly or is it best to hit competitive once you're lv.25?

I think it stands for Matchmaking Rating, it's basically a behind the scenes skill rank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Adventagious

Think of your MMR as the behind-the-scenes skill level the game thinks you are at.

It's not unusual to be at similar skill level to someone with a star or two if you've played a fair few games. You know how to play shooters, the game gets that and matches you with people who are close to the same skill level.

I'm about 650, regularly get matched up with people who have less than 100 levels are the vast majority are just as good as me. Yeah you might get a bit of very OW-specific knowledge with time played but it's not a big deal.

Plenty of people never play comp at all and just stick to QP and Arcade.
    Get to level 25 (maybe a bit more) and try Comp, you'll figure out if you like it pretty quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I think it stands for Matchmaking Rating, it's basically a behind the scenes skill rank.

Which if most people were to buy a new account would probably find themselves a rank above what they are as they take your entire gaming history on overwatch into account, so new accounts get placed higher with less games to judge on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Blizzard have done something to the targeting system to help Moira lock on to targets when there are a lot of characters on screen but it seems to have a lot of unforeseen consequences. Hit box issues, range issues, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Which if most people were to buy a new account would probably find themselves a rank above what they are as they take your entire gaming history on overwatch into account, so new accounts get placed higher with less games to judge on

Not necessarily you still have to level new account to 25 and game will have a fair idea of your mmr by then anyway.

Sure if you played your main religiously for those 25levels you might skip the learning curve but I'd bet youd end up fairly close to the first account after placements.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

jcd5971 wrote: »
    Not necessarily you still have to level new account to 25 and game will have a fair idea of your mmr by then anyway.

Sure if you played your main religiously for those 25levels you might skip the learning curve but I'd bet youd end up fairly close to the first account after placements.

id be willing to bet differently

• Advertisement

Off you go so.

A tenner you'll be within 200sr after placements. :-)

Wha...? Are you saying that new accounts' mmr is affected by a previous account? Surely not

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Having set up a second account myself before, im pretty sure if i tried my hardest with it up to rank 25 and then hit the placements as best i can, id end up similar to what im on.

I did it earlier this year.
    Thought I got a permanent ban on psn so set up a new account bought overwatch again and re-levelled to 25

did placements got 2350ish I was just into platinum on my old main I think I was 2508 or something close to that.

Turned out I was not banned just stupidly never renewed psn sub ( I'm an idiot) so I keep the second account now to play with friends in gold/silver.

As my main is diamond now ( barely)

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Sight808

Can I ask why some people have 2 accounts here? I'm on PC so I'd need to buy it new again, which is possible as it's running for cheap on sale a lot of the time. I couldn't handle doing 20 placement matches each season though - I don't have the time.

so we can play with our mates and still continue to try and rank up

One account you want to keep a low rank on so youre within 1000 sr of your mates. Its actually the more fun account because you play who you want all the time rather than who you're best at, also not stressed about losing because you need to keep your sr down. It's a great practice account, no need to play quickplay.

Its not cheap on xbox though, have to pay for xbox live, so about 40e a year or 7e a month. It's worth it for me at the moment because i have 11 real life mates playing it and i play so much myself i want to be able to play competitive ranked properly as well.

The down side is, you're essentially a thrower by playing characters you're not good at. So it's not really fair on your teammates, and then if you do try your hardest youre a platinum player playing against bronze players. What ends up happening is you win a few game with your mates because you carry but in the end it levels off cause your mates are then overranked which cancels out you being under ranked!

Nobody will admit it, but the real reason is to main Widow without it affecting their main account.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,100 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Having set up a second account myself before, im pretty sure if i tried my hardest with it up to rank 25 and then hit the placements as best i can, id end up similar to what im on.

I was 500 less on on my second account when I set it up. It's down to about 300 difference now though.

Did a second account when one of the lads bought the game and I said I might as well start a new guy and play quick play with him.

A good example of it going wrong, I was watching PVPtwitch stream yesterday and he's going for top 500 on one of his lesser accounts. HE gets a widow on his team and they get slaughtered. He checks the guys stats and he's only ever won 1 match with widow, he asks the guy is it a smurf for messing around and he says yes. He then changes to try help win but its too late.

Mickeroo wrote:
    Nobody will admit it, but the real reason is to main Widow without it affecting their main account.

Ryuu ga Wagatekiwo Kurau

Scatter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

jcd5971 wrote: »
    Ryuu ga Wagatekiwo Kurau

Scatter

My aim is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I don't think I've ever been killed by Hanzo and thought "wow, that was skillful & I'm not even mad".

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever been killed by Hanzo and thought "wow, that was skillful & I'm not even mad".

tbf I've come across some really good hanzo's. A couple who were pinging phara out of the sky. The scatter arrow drives me absolutely crackers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I've met a few beast Hanzos, who killed me at close range while I was bouncing around, frying them as Winston. That should never happen.

Had a guy switch to Hanzo from Zarya after a bad defence round on Junkertown. He informed both teams he was going throwing and had reported 4 of his team mates and blocked one (pretty sure I'm the one he blocked because I said "relax, we haven't lost yet" at some point).

Long story short we steam rolled the other team on attack then kicked their ass on defence the second time around winning easily with him getting loads of kills. Hanzo's are so bad they can't even throw right.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,758 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Had a guy switch to Hanzo from Zarya after a bad defence round on Junkertown. He informed both teams he was going throwing and had reported 4 of his team mates and blocked one (pretty sure I'm the one he blocked because I said "relax, we haven't lost yet" at some point).

Long story short we steam rolled the other team on attack then kicked their ass on defence the second time around winning easily with him getting loads of kills. Hanzo's are so bad they can't even throw right.

Any time I'm killed by a non-scatter arrow from Hanzo, I usually end up watching the killcam thinking "Wow, he's a really great Hanz... ah he was trying to hit someone else and I got in the way"

Penn wrote:
    Any time I'm killed by a non-scatter arrow from Hanzo, I usually end up watching the killcam thinking "Wow, he's a really great Hanz... ah he was trying to hit someone else and I got in the way"

So so so many times.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Played Zarya on Watchpoint:Gibraltar the other night (didn't fancy playing Pharah vs their Genji/D.va).

Did really well on Attack: high energy, 3 Gravitron combos, 15-3 K/D.
    One of their team disconnects, I go "gg, I don't like lame wins but w/e".

They bloody steamrolled us 5v6 on their Attack! I have no idea what they changed exactly (maybe we were trickling?) but it was scary, lost nearly every teamfight.

On our 2nd Attack run, they kept us to just below the airplane. Was nearly about to quit out of shame.

Picked Pharah. Got a pocket Mercy.
    They didn't take Point A the second time around :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

First comp game with Moira.

Victory with 35 elimination, 8 deaths. Bronze elims, silver objective elims, silver healing. Might be beginner's luck but she feels like a lot of fun. I wish you could change the colour of her resource gauge though, white can blend in a bit and you can go blind to it occasionally.

• Advertisement

J. Marston wrote: »
    First comp game with Moira.

Victory with 35 elimination, 8 deaths. Bronze elims, silver objective elims, silver healing. Might be beginner's luck but she feels like a lot of fun. I wish you could change the colour of her resource gauge though, white can blend in a bit and you can go blind to it occasionally.

I know your own PS.. what way were teams lining up in comp?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement