Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overwatch - Blizzard's latest game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

There's only one thing worse than a player not moving the payload, and that's ones not stopping it. 3 players chasing a Tracer around in circles. Snipers refusing to jump in while the team get back. Annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BlueBlossom

True, it is infuriating watching someone play widowmaker who has no clue and refuses to help in close (I get she isn't the strongest but needs must especially in overtime -_-) or change character. That is what the AI mode is for or the training, to get used to the character.. Watching a widowmaker and Mei last night when I was spectating waiting on a spot in a friends game. They just kept going back into the spawn on Kings Row and spraying the floor.. The team lost.

Yep. No matter what character you are, if the rest of your team gets killed, run around the payload and stay alive as long as possible to keep that clock held as long as possible.

People watching it make the checkpoint. Like... I can't understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

People should know what payload is, no need for tutorial.
    It's been around since TF2 implemented it back in 2008.

Blizzard should look at some of the TF2 maps too and get to work on adding A LOT more.
    The current ones are getting boring quite quickly.

TF2 also has another version of Payload which is quite fun, called Payload Race. Where both teams have a cart. The carts intersect and you can usually see the other teams cart while at your own. So you have to choose between pushing your own...whilst trying to stop them pushing theirs.

I know it's out for years, but just for comparisons sake...as it's the bar that Overwatch should be aspiriing to get near

TF2
    -10 Payload maps
    -7 Capture the Flag maps
    -16 Control point maps (Controlling 1 point or multiple)
    -11 Attack/Defend maps (these are different to Control points....it's capture A...move on to B...move on to C)
    -4 Payload race maps
    -10 Arena maps
    -14 King of the Hill maps

and that's not even all the modes or maps.

SeantheMan wrote: »
    People should know what payload is, no need for tutorial.

But loads don't, so I think there is.

• Advertisement

Grayditch wrote: »
    But loads don't, so I think there is.

-A big cart that moves spawns when you capture the point
    -There is a track through the map in the direction the payload will go

It's quite obvious that you have to be at the cart for it to move.
    You see others doing it on your team, you see the enemy doing it.
    Any kind of gamer will recognize this immediately.

Anyone can put 2+2 together to know what the objective and aim is.

However....people DON'T WANT TO spend their time on the cart, they are happy to lose and run off looking for kills, this is why they're not pushing....not because they 'don't know' what to be doing.
    Trust me....I played TF2 Payload exclusively after it was released...forgot all other gametypes.....and put 100's of hours into it.
    8years and 100's of hours later....you still get your whole team running away from the Objective looking for kills.

The only things they could mention, are that
    1) You gain Health when moving the cart as attackers and
    2) The cart moves faster the more people pushing (but 3 is the Max - it doesn't go faster after 3 people)

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Adventagious

God damn i loved TF2 - at least 15 or 20 maps (Payload and the 5 Control point push ones) that i would happily see ported directly into Overwatch.

Still loving Overwatch, and the current maps really are lovely with all the different channels and colours...but more and soon would be appreciated.

There are people that don't understand how to/know that they can stop/reset the overtime clock on Payload. No matter how obvious it is, or should be to people.

There will always be people that don't care, but a proposed tutorial could tidy it up for the ones that do.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

You know there is also the aspect, worth remembering, that the only mode available is casual at the moment. The mode where you just have fun.

There is plenty of games where I'm learning or trying a new champ, especially DPS ones, where I don't give a flying **** about the objective. I just want to get into 1v1's and get into scraps to see how the champions fair out.

The game modes are not difficult, there is just a high probability lots of people don't give a **** at the moment. When ranked arrives, obviously games will be highly focused on winning the maps by the objectives.

I was playing Bastion and Widowmaker exclusively on Attack to see how they fared. Its casual mode. What do you expect. I am learning while I don't get punished for playing sub-optimally.

Turns out Bastion can be very, very effective on payload maps up until the final push.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I dunno, I seem to have really fun games where everyone contributes to the payload etc. Is the problem really that wide spread I wonder?

But think of all the fun you can have... ON the Payload :pac:

I love that Payload gold medal, always go for it :D I play Reinhart a lot, so I'm usually stood on top of it shielding if I'm attacking :) Tracer's a great Payload mover too, she can get out of trouble so quickly if it gets pushed on and she'll kite people away from it cause everyone thinks they can take a Tracer out :D

Never thought of Tracer for the Payload, actually. I might finally try get to grips with her today.

Anyone looking for a Zarya Masterclass?

Taken from this article. The young lady in question was accused of cheating in a tournament and so put on this show to prove she's legit (which is kinda sad, but however).

Shiminay wrote: »
    I dunno, I seem to have really fun games where everyone contributes to the payload etc. Is the problem really that wide spread I wonder?

I doubt it is really. But I don't think they should be making any massive shifts to the modes or the game in general, while only casual/quick play is in place.

I think a lot of the balancing and changes will come from competitive, when it really transpires what the problems are. I know for a fact there will need to be some changes to a few maps, that when you are playing proper, with a real comp etc, there are some total bottlenecks.

There is also the issue of the vast diversity in skill in casual play. there is no real matchmaking that I can see from quick play. So once people get bundled together in brackets it might get better. Someone who understands the objective based play will direct a team, and at a point youll be at a level where everyone understands its about objectives (which really should happen early on)

You'll always get some bad team mates and bad teams, but at the same time you'll also get bad opponents and teams you can capitalise on.

I think there is also some issues with subtle differences about a champions strengths and stuff. I havn't had many issues with the playerbase, but have had a few people grieffing about pushing a payload while I'm a reaper. Somewhat not understanding the fact, even when I tell them, that I'm disrupting reinforcements, killing turrets or healers, and giving me team the opportunity to push a payload or take an objective easily.

There is a bit of an issue where say I'll go off and be getting streaks, disrupting the enemy team and causing chaos, and its like team mates see my kill count and think they should follow me, when infact I need to be left alone.

Again though, once in competitive I expect all these sort of issues to iron out. I really like the approach they are talking with ranked, where I can go solo, or group with 2-5 other people. Thats going to be really good.

Shiminay wrote: »
    Anyone looking for a Zarya Masterclass?

Taken from this article. The young lady in question was accused of cheating in a tournament and so put on this show to prove she's legit (which is kinda sad, but however).

Yeah, they're on a different level tbh. I didn't know it was that popular with the girls over here though. D.VA is Korean too btw, but obviously D.VA doesn't spend her time in internet cafes :P

I tried to get my gf to play FPS (she could barely understand the A,W,S,D) for moving.....so not all Koreans are talented at games :P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

http://on-winning.com/best-overwatch-competitive-play-video-settings/

Good article on PC settings for competitive play.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    http://on-winning.com/best-overwatch-competitive-play-video-settings/

Good article on PC settings for competitive play.

So...like every other FPS ever...if you want the best then set it to LOW settings.
    I wouldn't even call it an article tbh
    TL:DR, set resolution to your screens max, everything else to LOW.

Genji. I am converted.

• Advertisement

I wanna practice Lucio after seeing this guy

He has his Jump boung to "Scroll wheel" , I'm gonna try it later

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Better off to play Lucio as intended ie heal tbh :)

SeantheMan wrote: »
    So...like every other FPS ever...if you want the best then set it to LOW settings.
    I wouldn't even call it an article tbh
    TL:DR, set resolution to your screens max, everything else to LOW.

Perhaps just turn off fog and refraction. I think they're the only things that could effect your gameplay. I'm maxed out at 70fps with everything on high already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Dcully wrote: »
    Better off to play Lucio as intended ie heal tbh :)

Trick is to bounce around when healing, ive held entire capture points myself as lucio bouncing around the walls/centre piece being an absolute nightmare to hit, then ult when my team return and clean house! His heal is aoe so bounce around within proximity of your team keeping them healed and being the hardest thing to hit in game next Genji bouncing around the objective :D

I've played lucio the most out of anybody at 11 hours, he is thee most fun healer in the game...

Cant stop, wont stop!

Grayditch wrote: »
    Genji. I am converted.

Currently putting some time into him to increase my champion pool for competitive. Pretty comfortable Reaper is my go to, and feel I'm really good on him.

Solider 76 is another champion I feel strong on, and use in certain scenarios.

Genji, backing my ability, I think can be an utter riot in competitive at the lower levels of the scale, especially attacking

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

TheDoc wrote: »
    Currently putting some time into him to increase my champion pool for competitive. Pretty comfortable Reaper is my go to, and feel I'm really good on him.

Solider 76 is another champion I feel strong on, and use in certain scenarios.

Genji, backing my ability, I think can be an utter riot in competitive at the lower levels of the scale, especially attacking

What determines the champion pool in comp play? do you have to play them for a certain amount of time or something?

I've been spending a bit of time with Luchio, he's *really* powerful when you get his wall running down.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ive yet to come across a Lucio that I couldn't headshot into changing hero :)

Dcully wrote: »
    Ive yet to come across a Lucio that I couldn't headshot into changing hero :)

Change your region to KR for an hour, I'm sure you'll find one or 2 you'll miss...your ping won't help either :P

• Advertisement

How am I not bored of this game?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement