Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overwatch - Blizzard's latest game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

Only new to this game but played the 6v6 random characters mode and opposing team was at 99% of the objective and my team had 0%. We somehow managed to push them off it and won! ha! and the other team had two lvl 98 players.
    I have to say, it's a fun game and the different modes make it even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,099 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

rejkin wrote: »
    Only new to this game but played the 6v6 random characters mode and opposing team was at 99% of the objective and my team had 0%. We somehow managed to push them off it and won! ha! and the other team had two lvl 98 players.
    I have to say, it's a fun game and the different modes make it even better.

That'll happen a lot, very annoying when your in Competitive and you manage to lose the point :(

Levels don't really matter either. I'd suggest picking a hero from each category and spending a bit of time with them and learning everything there is to know about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I actually play almost nothing but mystery heroes now, amazing craic and not to be taken too seriously either....one of the few game modes where I actually really enjoy the inevitable frustration of getting characters I'm useless with, and laughing at other players clearly in the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I actually play almost nothing but mystery heroes now, amazing craic and not to be taken too seriously either....one of the few game modes where I actually really enjoy the inevitable frustration of getting characters I'm useless with, and laughing at other players clearly in the same boat.

watching people jump off cliff edge cause they dont realise that it no longer gives them a new character :pac:

There's also something pretty amazing about 3 Reinharts storming towards you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Played a Junkertown defence Mystery Heroes a few nights ago. The other came out the door with two Bastions, Orissa, Reinhardt, Mercy and Ana.

Probably the quickest defeat I've ever had :(

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,281 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

A lot of time payload on mystery heroes is simply a game of first Bastion wins I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,577 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

one of the few game modes where I actually really enjoy the inevitable frustration of getting characters I'm useless with, and laughing at other players clearly in the same boat.

Great craic getting Mercy and chasing after useless genjis and killing them

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Mickeroo wrote: »
    A lot of time payload on mystery heroes is simply a game of first Bastion wins I find.
    I can usually kill a Bastion if not the whole team is camping on him; worse is a double Mercy team if they got any tanks to talk of :(

the worst is when you get your main and think HEEERREEE WEEE GOOOO **** JUST GOT REEEEAALL and then die instantly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'm convinced the algorithm leans towards/away from certain heroes, I've gotten certain heroes a ton, a good mix of most, and then others that I rarely or never get. (Soldier 76 - in about 100 games literally only got him once or twice...meanwhile my last game alone I got Mei three times)....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Delta1138

Sure, its a crate game altogether. I play on Xbox myself and theres nothing like someone taking five minutes to send a message giving out that I shouldnt be a widow.

Delta1138 wrote: »
    Sure, its a crate game altogether. I play on Xbox myself and theres nothing like someone taking five minutes to send a message giving out that I shouldnt be a widow.

use the xbox one app man its way easier to be insta-toxic!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I've almost exclusively played Mystery Heroes over the past year. It's my favourite game mode.

Yes, it can be an absolute nightmare when they get almost insta-win heroes (Bastions, Symmetras, Torbs and even Orisas) while you keep pulling Widows and Hanzos, or even good heroes like Zarya but played by people who don't normally play as them and aren't great.

But even when you're up against toughies on the other team, there's no feeling quite like pulling a great character, taking out their Bastion/Torb/Symm and seeing them respawn as Winston or something. The joy of Mystery Heroes isn't just the heroes you pull, but managing to take out the lynchpin of their defence/attack and them pulling someone rubbish.

Plus it means Ults are properly earned most of the time and not just the result of time spent in the match with a few kills.

Biggest issue I have in that regard though is people focusing on taking out a Torb turret instead of Torb himself. If you take him out, his turret goes when he respawns! So frustrating.
    I'm convinced the algorithm leans towards/away from certain heroes, I've gotten certain heroes a ton, a good mix of most, and then others that I rarely or never get. (Soldier 76 - in about 100 games literally only got him once or twice...meanwhile my last game alone I got Mei three times)....

Yeah every time I log on it definitely seems to favour certain characters more than others. Some days you're regularly pulling the likes of Ana/Genji/Winston, other days you get a good few Junk/Hog/S76s.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Adventagious

Y'all telling the truth about MH - it's the best and my most played but i get SO. MUCH. DOOMFIST.

And i'm still terrible at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Y'all telling the truth about MH - it's the best and my most played but i get SO. MUCH. DOOMFIST.

And i'm still terrible at him.

For me he's like Zarya; I'm usually awful with both of them but sometimes you just completely crush with them and nail every hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

MH is great fun, especially when you pull Roadhog early.

Had a game last week where the other team were running triple Mei, double Junk and Bastion, couldn't get near them for a long time.

Overwatch league skins update is live.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Apparently the skins are €5 a pop.

Was never gonna buy one anyway but that is some serious gouging.

You get one free one at least. I dunno, if I got into one of the teams I might buy one or two as most of it goes to the OWL. No idea who to root for at the moment though.

Im just gonna go london cause cant think who to pick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Got Moira's LA Valiant because Irish colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

God dynasty reaper

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

So during the Xmas my mate in work (another Irishman, got Overwatch for the PC)
    He hasn't been gaming in general for long.
    So he played bot games mostly...got to lvl 25 and he jumped into comp...and was promptly put into Bronze. He's at 500SR or so now.

Around the same time, to play with him I made a 2nd account and had to level it to 25...god it's a slog trying to get a game sometimes at that level...even against bots.
    Finally hit 25 yesterday or the day before.

Started my placement matches but alongside my mate. The average rank on the other teams seemed to be mid - high gold...so it was a bit tough for my mate.
    Couldn't buy a win, the lack of teamwork and game sense is beyond belief.
    I've been getting 3-4 golds every game...but can't carry in most situations.
    One of the things is that I need my account to be low enough to play alongside him in comp...so I'm just filling whatever the team needs...which is usually a tank or healer...but at this level it doesn't really matter.

I've drawn 1, lost 5, and won 1 so far in the placements.
    My other account was plat last year, so it will be interesting to see where they place this account.
    If it recognises individual performance.....or just sees me losing 8/10 placements at a low level and places me down there.

I'm not worried about that, as that is the intention so I can play alongside my mate and try to help him improve.
    I've no doubt I could climb up to gold/plat etc if I went solo.
    (he's set on playing comp instead of quickplay...so it's the only way to help him or be able to play together)
    I'll be pretty annoyed if I get put 1000SR above him...as that will mean we won't be able to play together....which was the whole point of this account. I'll see tonight when I finish my other 3 placements (alongside him....I only do my placements with him)

Hate to break it to you but you probably will place over 1500 if you were plat. You know when you start a game and a player quits instantly, thats those people. The ones who are trying to get their sr down to their mates level so they can play with them without throwing games.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

SeantheMan wrote: »
    So during the Xmas my mate in work (another Irishman, got Overwatch for the PC)
    He hasn't been gaming in general for long.
    So he played bot games mostly...got to lvl 25 and he jumped into comp...and was promptly put into Bronze. He's at 500SR or so now.

Around the same time, to play with him I made a 2nd account and had to level it to 25...god it's a slog trying to get a game sometimes at that level...even against bots.
    Finally hit 25 yesterday or the day before.

Started my placement matches but alongside my mate. The average rank on the other teams seemed to be mid - high gold...so it was a bit tough for my mate.
    Couldn't buy a win, the lack of teamwork and game sense is beyond belief.
    I've been getting 3-4 golds every game...but can't carry in most situations.
    One of the things is that I need my account to be low enough to play alongside him in comp...so I'm just filling whatever the team needs...which is usually a tank or healer...but at this level it doesn't really matter.

I've drawn 1, lost 5, and won 1 so far in the placements.
    My other account was plat last year, so it will be interesting to see where they place this account.
    If it recognises individual performance.....or just sees me losing 8/10 placements at a low level and places me down there.

I'm not worried about that, as that is the intention so I can play alongside my mate and try to help him improve.
    I've no doubt I could climb up to gold/plat etc if I went solo.
    (he's set on playing comp instead of quickplay...so it's the only way to help him or be able to play together)
    I'll be pretty annoyed if I get put 1000SR above him...as that will mean we won't be able to play together....which was the whole point of this account. I'll see tonight when I finish my other 3 placements (alongside him....I only do my placements with him)
    If your mate is really that bad - don't play Comp with him, you're dragging your other 4 team mates down.

Convince him to play QP! While he's still getting used to the game/characters, it's a great training ground.

Almost all my mates ended up in bronze and we had a few nights at the start where we lost every game, slowly but surely we started to get some wins. It's got to the point where its pretty even on the win losses most nights and everyone is now in silver with me scraping plat. Teach him not to feed and you've made a good start, just be patient with him and throw him some tips each game

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

So I've never done placements on PC (lvl 350 on PS4), it's refreshing not having a very historical MMR for now.

For example, the last 3 seasons on PS4 (current included) my placements went as follows:
    2W - 1D - 7L
    2W - 8L
    6W - 4L

And I placed the exact same every single time (I didn't play more than a handful of games after placements tbh)
    So I'm obviously at the stage now where I'm kind of "stuck" at my usual 2,250 rank.
    I mean, I'm kind of OK with that, since I've been in/around there for 8 seasons now, I can't rightly say "i deserve to be higher" as I've tried everything. Groups, solo, duos, tanks, healer, DPS, support, meta, off meta etc.

The game seems renewed.
    The last 4 games on PC I was getting ~4 gold medals which doesn't happen on PS4.
    So looking forward to a fresh start now on PC :)

If anyone cares to group up, you can add me away for a few games (if you haven't done your placements we might get some very nice queues since I've very little history on PC)

Finished placements last night. Won the first, lost the next four, then won the last 5. At least three of those games I absolutely carried as Junkrat.

Ended up 250 SR lower than I finished last season :confused:

Those four defeats must have been really bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭WarpAsylum

Think I'll go with the Seoul Dynasty Dva skin for my freebie. Looks deadly with gold guns.

Already use the Carbon Fibre with her gold guns, because the black (very dark grey) and gold looks beast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

So played the 10 comps with the level 25 account.
    The first 7 games were alongside my bronze mate

Won 1 , Lost 5 and drew one.
    Played the other 3 alone and won all 3.

Was obviously hoping to be withing 1000 of his 500-600 SR
    Got put in plat at 2650....so....that's that out the window.
    Useless account now.
    I'm just gonna go back to the other one with the higher rank and skins..it's high gold...always a struggle to make it out of there...but whatever. Annoyed :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement