Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overwatch - Blizzard's latest game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭Penn

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Is it not an increase in time to freeze?

No, increase in time frozen to allow Mei to take them out once frozen. Hence why I think there was some confusion in what Jeff said in the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,099 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I think Sombra needed it but I thought Mei and Hanzo were more or less fine as they are. Scatter arrow is a fairly big loss.

Being able to one shot tanks was a joke with Hanzo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Penn wrote: »
    No, increase in time frozen to allow Mei to take them out once frozen. Hence why I think there was some confusion in what Jeff said in the video.

My interpretation was the freeze effect wears off slower. So in the process of freezing someone if they skip around a corner and out of your freeze ray the slowed down effect takes longer to wear off giving you a better chance to get them back into LOS and complete the freeze. Once actually frozen they're not frozen for longer although to be fair I haven't looked at the actual notes just the video so apologies if I'm talking out my hoop.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,099 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

They should allow Mei freeze the ground in front of herself to move faster. Your trading ammo for speed. A good trade off for me.

My interpretation was the freeze effect wears off slower. So in the process of freezing someone if they skip around a corner and out of your freeze ray the slowed down effect takes longer to wear off giving you a better chance to get them back into LOS and complete the freeze. Once actually frozen they're not frozen for longer although to be fair I haven't looked at the actual notes just the video so apologies if I'm talking out my hoop.

It really wasn't clear from the video, but these are the patch notes:
    Mei
    Endothermic Blaster
    Freeze (slow) duration increased from 1 second to 1.5 seconds
    Weapon alternate fire ammo cost reduced from 25 to 20

Developer Comments: Increasing Mei’s slow duration helps her freeze targets that are particularly elusive such as Genji or Lúcio. Lowering her alternate fire ammo cost allows her to more safely use it without costing her the ability to freeze enemies.

Actually, you might be right. I was wondering why he kept talking about elusive enemies like Genji. I thought he just meant once they're unfrozen they can get away quicker, but I guess you're right, it's them being slowed as part of the freezing process. My mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Mei suddenly becomes viable anti-dive comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

fixxxer wrote: »
    I for one, welcome its demise.

My Orisa also welcomes this development. It should never be possible to one-shot someone like Orisa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Being able to one shot tanks was a joke with Hanzo.

Totally agree, I more meant it's a big loss for the character in general, would imagine a big drop off will follow.

Possibly a change to scatter that it only badly hurts 'soft' targets would have sufficed.

Totally agree, I more meant it's a big loss for the character in general, would imagine a big drop off will follow.

Possibly a change to scatter that it only badly hurts 'soft' targets would have sufficed.

I quite liked their idea of an arrow that can go through shields, though they should have made it that it reduces in damage if it goes through a shield so as you can't be one-shot when behind a shield.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Not everything in the PTR makes it into the game.
    So don't get too excited for no Hanzo arrows yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Not everything in the PTR makes it into the game.
    So don't get too excited for no Hanzo arrows yet.

I have a pretty crap memory but iirc around the time Old Hog was laid to rest, Jeff mentioned wanting to get Scatter sorted out too. Would be fairly ridiculous if Scatter stays how it is long term given the whole reason for Hogs dmg reduction was to stop one shots on Non-tanks.

But we'll see.

The Sombra change looks like she might be an actual team mate now, as opposed to "babysit the big pack until EMP, then switch"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Good overview of Mei PTR changes (right now)
    https://gfycat.com/WhoppingNeighboringFoxhound

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Of my 2 accounts, one total flex and one mercy main, the flex account has passed out the mercy account for the first time EVA. both around 2850, so I've dropped around 200-300sr since mercy nerf, to be expected i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Good overview of Mei PTR changes (right now)
    https://gfycat.com/WhoppingNeighboringFoxhound

That little freeze, ice spike, little freeze ice spike looks horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Of my 2 accounts, one total flex and one mercy main, the flex account has passed out the mercy account for the first time EVA. both around 2850, so I've dropped around 200-300sr since mercy nerf, to be expected i guess

What's the point in separate accounts? Genuine question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

That gif is deceptive, anyone wasting their ultimate on a roadhog is in for a bad time.

Having played nearly 80 hours comp with mei, I'm most excited about the implications for getting behind a team.

By freezing quicker save ammo and then reducing spikes ammo cost equals the ability to fight 2 and at a push 3 squishes, you'd easily get the first down if you supprised them, and have loads of ammo to attack the second.

It was so annoying getting drop on genji/tracer only for them to pox away.

Roadhog is easy to kill with mei, he's slow and a huge target just keep strafing him and bait out his self heal.

D. Va was tricky as you'd nearly always need to reload as she de-meched.

Rein and orissa where the tough tanks.
    Rein shield is an issue and if you get close hammer is lethal.

Orissa is just evil, with fortify you can't even freeze her.

A Neurotic wrote: »

There really is no point anymore, I wanted to use one account to climb as high as i could which meant only using mercy because my win rate was much higher with her, but now its not so I've multiple accounts for nothing really :o I actually have another one for playing with my friends so its even more ridiculous :D

Creeping back up towards diamond, ive stopped playing mercy on attack and koth, playing moira mostly with some Lucio. I think mercy still has a place when defending and likelyhood of getting a rez in is quite high

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Sight808

Season over in 7 days time. Personally, I got bored tanking, mostly played sombra, tracer and just a mix of dps healers I don't really use or try (I had less than an hour on widow since getting the game at launch). Think the Mercy changes took too long to implement but apart from that comps were fairly versatile. Toxicity is still an issue though. Played less this season and I don't turn on voice chat, barely look at text chat. I'd say at least a third of my games had a troll either on my team or opposing team.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,280 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

When does the year of the dog event end? Want to grab McRee's skin before it does but don't want to waste the credits until I've exhausted all the free loot boxes I can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TheBoyFromAus

A Neurotic wrote: »

Personally i run separate accounts to practice heroes I wouldn't normally use. Rather than letting my team down at a higher level I can play among a group where my skillset with different heroes is more aligned. Plus you don't have your own SR decimated if you try and mix things up.

Personally i run separate accounts to practice heroes I wouldn't normally use. Rather than letting my team down at a higher level I can play among a group where my skillset with different heroes is more aligned. Plus you don't have your own SR decimated if you try and mix things up.

yep thats pretty much it. I've one to play with my friends, one to mess about and one for ranking up. if my friends got better id scrap the lower one.

Having a rough season, getting a bad run of quitters of late. The urge to quit/throw myself is quite real lately. I had a good run last season so hopefully im just going through an unlucky patch. Jumped on for one game this morning, defending dorado, 2 players go right up to the spawn door, die instantly, this is at high plat! One of them quits a bit later, too late for the game to be cancelled, the other sends me a message to say im trash, i was solo healing lol

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TheBoyFromAus

IvoryTower wrote: »
    yep thats pretty much it. I've one to play with my friends, one to mess about and one for ranking up. if my friends got better id scrap the lower one.

Having a rough season, getting a bad run of quitters of late. The urge to quit/throw myself is quite real lately. I had a good run last season so hopefully im just going through an unlucky patch. Jumped on for one game this morning, defending dorado, 2 players go right up to the spawn door, die instantly, this is at high plat! One of them quits a bit later, too late for the game to be cancelled, the other sends me a message to say im trash, i was solo healing lol

Some of the SR bands can be absolutely woeful. I play on XB1 and breaking the 2700 barrier was an absolute nightmare with throwers and quitters. Once past it though i quickly knocked up 400 SR. Whenever i was stuck in a slump at that barrier id switch accounts and play games that i could have more influence on rather than givin it up all together.

I do tend to switch account when its going bad, Ive gone on the odd awful run where i regret not switching, its usually when i feel like im playing well but still losing. IF i log in like this morning and its a ****show ill switch off

We have a few xboxers her if you want to add

gunnerdrog (im also healmepeter)
    deathbydrummo
    adventagious (usually found in the arcade :) )

If anyone else can add to the list let me know, im going to try and squad up more for the laugh. I have a good crew of friends that play but they're looking for the chicken dinner at the moment in pugb

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭WarpAsylum

Weird thing happened yesterday.

I was queuing for a game and as soon as I joined I was simultaneously kicked and received a message saying I was reported. Looks like even though I was queuing from my end, I was just standing in spawn in the game.
    Luckily, I was able to rejoin.

1:20 odd left on the clock (I don't know how that's possible to be honest) on Watchpoint and the team hadn’t moved the payload. I’m a tank main (D.va) and she was picked along with Rein, so I took Soldier.

I got nothing but stick the whole round, but I kept my mouth shut. I was too flustered at what had just happened and being dropped into the middle of a game and trying to compose myself to get involved.

Got the payload half way to the 3rd point and all I heard was “our Soldier is trash” “we’d have done better without Soldier” etc.

On defence, I took Orisa – as I do. As soon as we lost the first checkpoint, it was my fault of course. “Eh, time to switch off Orisa by now?” “Yeah, Winston” and not said nicely.
    No problem, I took Winston. I don’t mind. But I was boiling at that point and finally opened my mouth.

“You’re toxic mother**kers, you know that!?!?”

…and I don’t if it was my tone, or what, but they all changed their tune immediately. All sensible call outs and compliments for plays.
    Enemy team didn’t take second checkpoint and we won.

Play nice people :pac:

Aside from that. I'm very low Diamond at the moment, so I might give the last few days a miss for the sake of the CPs

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

Strange strange season for me. Swinging between low and high silver the entire time. I think this is me now for my Overwatch career. Silver is my home now and I need to get right with this. I'll settle here...maybe get a quite cottage to live out the rest of my days with a dog and a white pickett fence. All the while wondering if my gold ranked neighbors grass is greener.

So far I will be finishing season 26 wins, 26 losses and 1 draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

WarpAsylum wrote: »

Aside from that. I'm very low Diamond at the moment, so I might give the last few days a miss for the sake of the CPs

Competitive points are based on your season high as opposed to where you end up

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Distribution of the player base across the tiers...

40eNogbCyyC5rinYKHN-X8UdmGOiLppY0_HEbR-Gg7w.jpg

Kinda interesting.

Strange strange season for me. Swinging between low and high silver the entire time. I think this is me now for my Overwatch career. Silver is my home now and I need to get right with this. I'll settle here...maybe get a quite cottage to live out the rest of my days with a dog and a white pickett fence. All the while wondering if my gold ranked neighbors grass is greener.

So far I will be finishing season 26 wins, 26 losses and 1 draw.

Things that helped me climb were watching streamers(emongg mostly), learning to play a handful of characters really well(although lots of people do well one/two tricking tbf). The streamers have just helped my game sense, like not feeding, what characters to pick on what levels, when to use ults

I think a good way to get out of silver would be to master a support character because so many teams dont have 2 support you would often be at an advantage. Could probably say the same for main tank

• Advertisement

Competitive points are based on your season high as opposed to where you end up

sorry, what are competitive points?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement