Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overwatch - Blizzard's latest game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I want to play some comp games with my housemates but they're 600-900SR below me...

you can play with them so long as theres not 1000 difference in sr

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Adventagious

IvoryTower wrote: »
    you can play with them so long as theres not 1000 difference in sr

I think the SR difference shrinks as you go up; within 500 at Masters levels and 250 at GM.

I know that's not a common problem, but even practical restrictions aside i don't think i'd want to play Comp with people more than 400 SR higher or lower than I was. Play styles and ability differ so much i'd get frustrated either trying to keep up or vice versa.

I played a game with top 500 guy this morning, how did that happen?! this was my mid plat dps account! He ****ing threw cause we were ****e lul

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I think the SR difference shrinks as you go up; within 500 at Masters levels and 250 at GM.

I know that's not a common problem, but even practical restrictions aside i don't think i'd want to play Comp with people more than 400 SR higher or lower than I was. Play styles and ability differ so much i'd get frustrated either trying to keep up or vice versa.

Depends on the players, the group im with ranged from 1600-2400, with myself at the top end. The guys at 1600 would swap, listen and play around/with me as asked, teamwork and grouping was no issue they were just mechanically ****. Lads from 2200 upwards were the opposite, selfish play with no thought process at all, mechanically good enough to play okay solo.

Obviously High Gold to Low Silver isn't the same as High Masters to Low Platinum but for where Kiki is there'd be feck all odds, mainly just raw skill between players. I've main tanked for players 6-700 above me and been very much up to pace.

I haven't got my PS4 anymore and am missing this, is Hammond live yet? If so, how are ye finding him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Adventagious

He's not out till next week I think, right? The 24th?

And you've got a fair point about players willingness to work together counting for a lot, a coordinated group can operate well beyond their normal SR, but in my own experience even the most willing person won't be able to keep pace properly with a 500+ SR difference in comp.

Maybe it does just depend on the tier. The few times i got lumped with high masters/low gm players it was really clear i was letting the side down. As Mercy i could just about keep from being a liability but anything else the standard expected was too high. Positioning as tank, mechanics as DPS, awareness as support...no matter what i did it was clear I was not a the right standard and i'd get punished by the enemy.

I take instruction well enough but there's only so much of a knowledge/skill gap you can fill.

Far as i'm concerned that's fair enough for comp! I don't want to be the problem or deal with the problem player when things get sweaty.

Non-comp its not such a big deal, but I do struggle to enjoy myself if the enemy or my teammates are 800 SR difference.

Think i might just be a bit of an SR snob, which for someone who doesn't play much comp is pretty rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I haven't got my PS4 anymore and am missing this, is Hammond live yet? If so, how are ye finding him
    Don't think he's in until next week, the reset was yesterday and no sign of him.
    Or the silly Sombra changes.

Currently trying to improve my Tracer and learn Genji.
    I just want to reflect an ult already.

I play dps on one account and support/tank another account, it's like a different life as dps, pressure to get kills is real and quickly get blamed for losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I play dps on one account and support/tank another account, it's like a different life as dps, pressure to get kills is real and quickly get blamed for losses.

It's like, yer only job :D

fixxxer wrote: »
    It's like, yer only job :D

ha I know but you can't expect people to get big kills every game, the tilt among the team is real when dps are struggling, I solo queue on that account, its more relaxing not stressing the group out if you're having a mare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

ha I know but you can't expect people to get big kills every game, the tilt among the team is real when dps are struggling, I solo queue on that account, its more relaxing not stressing the group out if you're having a mare

I personally find that a lot of the time when does suck it brings the whole team performance down, if they have bad positioning they die a lot, bad game awareness your heals die a lot so the team dies a lot. While dps is only about kills, it's about doing it the right way. I've played games where I've been shut down because I can't get any heals damage support abilities because the other team are getting into the backline unchallenged due to my aim or positioning being off, other games I'd pop off cos you'd have a healer sticking to your ass and the extra heal means you survive where you should of died and are suddenly 6vs5 or 4 up

One thing that bugs me about the community is everyone seems to think omg this player is so crap hes only got x heals or x kills etc. The player is close to you in sr so he/she is not much better/worse than you are no matter what you want to believe. They can't play well every game.They may also be near as good as they can get sr wise which we all know means you're getting your ass kicked every 2nd game at least. The belief that other players are the problem with your sr is rife(if you think it's a problem cause lets be real, it's only a game).

You can see it in the lfg the way everyone quits after a loss and you have to group up all over again. I mean,I've watched emongg lose 10 games in a row, it's literally impossible to not lose lol.

too early for ranting tbf :)

I'm blame that whingebag unit lost who wouldn't have a job if he wasn't moaning on YouTube every day about something

I'm blame that whingebag unit lost who wouldn't have a job if he wasn't moaning on YouTube every day about something

That's 99% of youtube gamers. OMG incoming change!!! <Insert game name here> is DEAAAAAAAD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I wonder if you were to play with someone that was literally 1000SR lower, how that would balance out in terms of team composition on the enemy side. Surely you're gonna get pillaged for losing and barely rewarded for winning...even though you're unlikely to carry any team (unless maybe you're exceptionally good DPS).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,098 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I wonder if you were to play with someone that was literally 1000SR lower, how that would balance out in terms of team composition on the enemy side. Surely you're gonna get pillaged for losing and barely rewarded for winning...even though you're unlikely to carry any team (unless maybe you're exceptionally good DPS).

I was playing with someone 800 SR below me last weekend that we got from LFG. I was 2400 and they were 1600.

Our team average SR was 2450ish including her and enemy teams were around that. Sometimes it was all gold or a mix of high gold/high silver/odd play in the enemy group.

On a side note I'm now back to Plat after 8 regular games. Still only one loss between them and placement games.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TheBoyFromAus

Placement is literally meaningless. Completed placements on my alt account and lost 9 games and still placed low plat.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Well, I played with my housemate.
    I'm ~2500, he's ~2000, and our teams averaged 2250.

Went 3-1 iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Sight808

finally, got my first sextuple kill earlier. zarya grav..high energy right clicks.. rekt

It depends, ive seen games where one guy is literally 600 under the match SR, but the other 5 players are a little above it, so thats a dead set case of a weak link. Normally there'll be a few other weak players to balance on the team though.

The other team tends to be 5 strong and 1 weak player or else 6 weaker players to compensate. E.g. 5 at 2500 and 1 at 1500 is roughly equivalent to 6 players at 2330 SR on the other team.

Your SR gain/loss is tied to your difference to the match SR far as I can tell, in the situation above the guy at 1500 will be gaining more and losing less, the guys at 2500 will be getting the opposite effect but not by huge margins compared to normal, they're about 167 off the match SR.

In cases where its 5 guys at 2000 and 1 at 3000, the guys at 2000 wont be climbing much faster than normal but the guy at 3000 will be rocketing towards the bottom and struggle to climb, as he'd be 833 off the match SR.

• Advertisement

sym doesnt seem to be op at all or else people just aren't using her right, I've yet to see a teleporter put to good use although she seems barely used at plat. it will be interesting to see if the pros do anything with her. she's certainly great to come up against when you're pharah

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Sight808 wrote: »
    finally, got my first sextuple kill earlier. zarya grav..high energy right clicks.. rekt

But Zarya RMB damage is a fixed value :confused:
    sym doesnt seem to be op at all or else people just aren't using her right, I've yet to see a teleporter put to good use although she seems barely used at plat. it will be interesting to see if the pros do anything with her. she's certainly great to come up against when you're pharah
    I had a Symmetra put a wall right in my face when I did a barrage...

Its not, 45-90 burst dmg per grenade, its clear as day if you play her for a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I had a Symmetra put a wall right in my face when I did a barrage...

Just in this in the short where tracer jumps is the best place I've seen her Tele put. Boom suddenly your whole team is the bunker on the high ground behind the enemy as a dva takes point

if lfg has thought me anything its that yanks are the best craic to play with online

if lfg has thought me anything its that yanks are the best craic to play with online

Hows your ping?

i dont check, playing on xbox so not even sure if you can

Enjoying quick play with the lfg feature. It's at times just as good as comp. Which is amazing tbh.

• Advertisement

Was playing comp last night with a group that just kept trying random ****, it almost worked, almost. On attack in lunar colony we started every fight from space, the other team actually came out to fight us, mad 6v6 brawl in space. We had quad tank so we won that fight. Then on to defence, sym teleport the whole team up onto the barrier at the top, jump down on the team when they get to the point, that worked as well. The game went to overtime and they won cause they figured out how to beat us in space and we ran out of time. Good laugh although I need to get back to diamond now :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement