Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overwatch - Blizzard's latest game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Bugg

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    Are people averaging a level in an hour or so?
    Just trying to work out how long iv to play to get to 25 before the console competitive patch next week

I've played about 8 hours since last Friday and I'm up to level 15, I think I'll need another 8 or 9 to make 25 before competitive is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

and now a lvl 152 changes his name to my name and picks symetra on attack and does nothing, gets portal and plants it outside our spawn, player leaves and guaranteed lose follows :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Adventagious

nix wrote: »
    and now a lvl 152 changes his name to my name and picks symetra on attack and does nothing, gets portal and plants it outside our spawn, player leaves and guaranteed lose follows :mad:

Ah here, that's prettty ****ty behaviour.

Anyway to block or avoid matching with trolls in future games on the PC?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Grayditch wrote: »
    DeSelby83 wrote: »
    Cool, was more thinking of getting in an hour or so each evening which is all I'll realistically manage. Should be close enough by next week i guess

The game simply won't let you only play an hour ;)

Haha try tell that to my significant other

I'm now giving up and not gonna do anymore comp play until later with friends and until i get my actual real rank level. The level of **** wits I've come across in these few hours is un-believable. I've lost 5 out of 7 games, 2 because of troll and afker and the other because my team was full of people who havent learned the basics (and probably never will) :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

nix wrote: »
    I'm now giving up and not gonna do anymore comp play until later with friends and until i get my actual real rank level. The level of **** wits I've come across in these few hours is un-believable. I've lost 5 out of 7 games, 2 because of troll and afker and the other because my team was full of people who havent learned the basics (and probably never will) :cool:

And here lieth step 1 of the elohell.

You literally need to treat every team mate like a dribbler, and go into every game believing you will carry. Thats why I'm playing DPS.

Absolutely **** support or tank characters. Other people can do it, or if I'm in a premade someone else can do it. I'm going into every ranked solo game with the belief I'll need to carry hard in order to win.

Years of LoL has me totally prepared for this. Sure it will be annoying and frustrating, but as predicted, has the exact same pitfalls and hamstrings that lol does, or any ranked competitive team game, where you are relying on 4 or 5 strangers to win

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Force Gaming put up a good video on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

I think a system of separating people using a controller from those using KB&M on PC would be so easily circumvented as to be pointless.

And that's not even taking into account the percentage of pc players using a controller, which I'd imagine is low.

So i had one more game out of the 10 to play, was winning 4 lost 5. hoping to make atleast 5/5. Game starts i pick soldier76 as i kick ass with him when playing with a solo mentality. i clear enemey team out and we capture A really quick. then for no reason at all... (see screenshot)

A decent start, currently 3-1 in placement. but my Reaper stats already from two games :O

po0rUXb.jpg

• Advertisement

I dunno about going entirely solo. I pick symmetra every time on defense. We've kept them in their spawn a few times by playing passive until I have a teleporter up. Getting reinforcements directly to the front line is huge.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Any idea when Competitive launches on consoles?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Any idea when Competitive launches on consoles?

'sometime next week'

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745685202

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

wow so competitive is the most infuriating system ever. you typically lose a whole level for a loss and gain like 10-20% of a level for a win. so for every loss you need 5+ wins to get that progress back.

I've already got a few PMs from strangers I've played quickplay matches with asking if I want to group up for competitive. And at the same time warning that I better be good :pac:

Oh man... it doesn't bode well!

I don't even have any ranked characters yet. Why they're mesaging me is a mystery

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

i'm staying away from competitive until they sort that mess out tbh.

Well after a disgusting 4 game loss streak, finished placement and got 53

froog wrote: »
    i'm staying away from competitive until they sort that mess out tbh.

Defo not gonna go near it myself unless I'm part of a group of people I already 'know'. Fcuk that for noise

Anyone on PS4 feel free to add me btw, - Totzire1

A few of us from the Boards Destiny clan are trying to get a group together for casual play... none of that MLG wannabe crap

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

45 kills with Pharah, 26 objective kills, 3 gold medals... And we lose. :( Maybe it will be better when I get out of placement.

Well after getting screwed out if it on my 10th game, that landed me with 4 wins and 6 loses bringing me to 46 rating.

Managed to bring it up to 48 now, major regrets not doing it with a group of friends, is there a cap on the rating?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

So Korea already has Smurfs :(

We played against a group of people last night, 1 guy was a lvl 19 Widow and was godlike ! , some of the other low level people were also ridiculously good.

In Europe and America, where we make a Battle.net account and tie a game to that account, we usually BUY the game ourselves and pay 40-60$ for it, so we usually don't make a 2nd account, because in making a new account...well...we don't really wanna buy the game a 2nd time.

It works differently in Korea, as the majority of players don't own the games, they play them in PC bangs that have their own accounts. They can make a battle.net ID, but don't have to pay for the game to play it (I'm not sure of the ins and outs - I guess the Cafe pays a licencing fee or something - you get some card from the PC Bang that you use when you walk in), this allows them to make multiple accounts anytime they visit as they never need to pay for the game.

This is how games become huge over here, because of the tiny barrier to entry to play the newest games on high end PC's.
    It's was the same for Starcraft, you didn't have to buy the game.
    League of Legends was free....but when you played at a PC bang...you automatically had EVERY character unlocked to play with..even at level 1.

Really frustrating to play against obvious trolls

It's also overtaken LOL as the most popular game in Korea ...for the first time in nearly 4 years

Cl7egBKUgAExm6c.jpg:large

Sorry, that reads as

1.Overwatch
    2.League of Legends
    3. Sudden Attack ( A CS clone)
    4. Fifa Online 3
    5. Dungeon Fighter Online
    6. Starcraft

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Competitive sounds like zero craic right now.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Competitive sounds like zero craic right now.

They're all craictose intolerant

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

This competitive stuff sounds like it will just stress me out. Won't touch it until Torbjorn is a little less dangerous anyway.

I'm level 92, and play with lads between lvl 17-40. Makes the competition very mixed and the games a bit odd.

I know people hate Elo ratings etc, but with the current level system; how in the hell are people expected to form groups of similarly skilled players?

I'm only lvl 42 now... and that lvl does not in any way whatsoever reflect my shitiness... and yet I only get matched with people at lvl 65+ :confused:

It's a mess right now. I'd be afraid to join up with any group with an average level similar to mine

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

Played five placement matches last night. Won 3 last 2 but all games were fairly close and everyone stayed civil even after losing. Was great fun to be honest!

I know people hate Elo ratings etc, but with the current level system; how in the hell are people expected to form groups of similarly skilled players?

I'm only lvl 42 now... and that lvl does not in any way whatsoever reflect my shitiness... and yet I only get matched with people at lvl 65+ :confused:

It's a mess right now. I'd be afraid to join up with any group with an average level similar to mine

Level really has no bearing on anything to be honest. I played a fair bit of beta, so from pretty much level one I was the top DPS on my team each match with 3-4 gold medals.

Level is literally nothing. Just because someone had time to sink in to get 100+ doesn't mean they are "good".

From all my friends who are level 70+, I ended out placement with higher Skill Rating. That is the metric, not your level.

And as people play more in competitive that skill rating will balance out over more games, and matchmaking can then be even better.

In the last few placement matches last night, was put in with some incredibly high skilled players, it was frightening.... especially Pharoh and Genji. Levels of play and issues with the champions I'd never come across on quick play(where most Genjis are ****).

Also in terms of my placements, no leavers, some really close and tight games, thoroughly enjoyable. Frustrated on two occasions that we lost games in Overtime from a winning position, that really freaked me actually, as obviously finishing 7-3 would have had me in a higher bracket. One instance where an enemy player just intentionally fed. Granted issues with team comps and some players being useless, but I also lost a game by changing my own tactic, letting someone else play Reaper while I went with Solider. After the first round loss just picked Reaper and carried.

Pharoh definitely something I'm going to have to look at countering. She was a major pinpoint in the games I lost, with a player executing her brilliantly and absolutely slaughtering us.

Saw the first Legendary voted player the other night. It was a Mercy. I presume her team game her the first 6 votes and then 5 of us. 11 is the most I've seen. And the voice just says "LEGENNDDAARRYY"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Rank 3 now. Wrecking the gaf :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement