Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overwatch - Blizzard's latest game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Grayditch wrote: »
    Saw the first Legendary voted player the other night. It was a Mercy. I presume her team game her the first 6 votes and then 5 of us. 11 is the most I've seen. And the voice just says "LEGENNDDAARRYY"

Such a healer lick arse game. I came up with 49 eliminations in a game last night, voting for myself like a sap :(

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Saw the first Legendary voted player the other night. It was a Mercy. I presume her team game her the first 6 votes and then 5 of us. 11 is the most I've seen. And the voice just says "LEGENNDDAARRYY"

Only time I saw that I somehow managed to get it myself by more or less pushing the payload single handedly as Reinhardt while the rest of the team ran around like headless chickens. We still lost though :(

Not sure I'm sold on the sudden death mechanic. Had two of them during my placement. Granted we won both, it was a bit mental flipping a coin for position and then having a cut down timer to do one point. Can see a lot of anguish possibly over that

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I had the same experience; now I wonder if we were in the same game :P

The player was really overwhelmed about it though and to be fair she did something like 53% of all damage taken in healing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Ya some of the sudden death seems insane.

I got one on Gibraltar where we were given attack from the coin flip and it's crazy how much of a disadvantage the defending team is under as it's pretty easy to get to the second point.

I'd be surprised if it isn't looked into.

• Advertisement

There needs to be a lot of tweaks. The game shouldn't start until everyone has picked a hero for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

This sudden death/coin flip sounds crap, what's that all about? (I'm on console, so I'm still waiting)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

TheDoc wrote: »

Pharoh definitely something I'm going to have to look at countering. She was a major pinpoint in the games I lost, with a player executing her brilliantly and absolutely slaughtering us.

Soldier76 and Widowmaker wreck Pharoh, S76 especially, helix to the head when she ults :o

Anybody know if they are releasing more stuff to buy with the competitive points? the golden weapons are abysmal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

nix wrote: »
    Soldier76 and Widowmaker wreck Pharoh, S76 especially, helix to the head when she ults :o

My favourite is "Justice rains from a..." *hook in the face* "Welcome to the apocalypse".

Heroes never... DIE, DIE, DIE

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

My favourite is "Justice rains from a..." *hook in the face* "Welcome to the apocalypse".
    I love doing that to Reaper for the same reason :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I'll be playing tonight on PC if anybody is around for some games? Myself a friend usually play, I'd consider ourselves average. Make some good plays etc. Will just be playing Quick Play as i'm level 23.

Anyway, PM me if anyone wants to play tonight :)

This sudden death/coin flip sounds crap, what's that all about? (I'm on console, so I'm still waiting)

If a game finishes a draw, there is a coin flipped, landing either blue or red(your teams colour)

This denotes on payload maps, who is attacking and who is defending. Depending on the map, you want one or the other.

Not sure how it works with king of the hill as I havn't had one there yet, but imagine it just goes for another round

That could be infuriating...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

That could be infuriating...

Its pretty annoying alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

They have already changed the sudden death aspect of it and are rolling it out in a patch towards tbe end of july i think.
    They have also said that they will need a few seasons to really get things right. Im sure we will all find faults in this but at least we know they are will to take this on board and make the changes

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Folks, it's Blizzard. There is no other company in the world who knows competitive online gaming better than Blizzard. They may not arrive at a satisfactory solution to ongoing problems straight away, but they always sink a LOT of work into these things and have experience beyond most people's imagining in this area. You can't have quick fixes for issues like balance and hero buff/nerf, you just don't get statistically relevant data without a million odd games to look at.

I trust them to sort it. Coin toss just seems odd.

Have a separate decider character that everyone has to pick for a 6v6 mill up at the end, armed only with custard pies :)

Shiminay wrote: »
    Folks, it's Blizzard. There is no other company in the world who knows competitive online gaming better than Blizzard. They may not arrive at a satisfactory solution to ongoing problems straight away, but they always sink a LOT of work into these things and have experience beyond most people's imagining in this area. You can't have quick fixes for issues like balance and hero buff/nerf, you just don't get statistically relevant data without a million odd games to look at.

I dunno. They made a complete balls of Starcraft 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

okay so it seems the skill gain thing is a bug and it seems to be exclusive to KoTH maps. blue post says they are working on a fix.

still left with two major problems that will be unlikely to be fixed before the second season;

1. no separate queue for solo and ranked

2. sudden death coin flip

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Ranked play live on Xbox now according to reddit...haven't been able to check myself yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Had my first games tonight with a full team. Much better craic than solo

The team-matchmaking is atrocious though. Like really bad.

We never got matched with another team. Placed into skirmish which timed out every time, and ended up being matched with either single player teams or groups of 2 or 3.

Hopefully it'll be dealt with before competitive becomes available on PS4

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Cannot play Hanzo for the life of me. 4 games, 4 losses. Must be around 5-6 kills and 20+ deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

J. Marston wrote: »
    Cannot play Hanzo for the life of me. 4 games, 4 losses. Must be around 5-6 kills and 20+ deaths.

Good guide for him here. In particular, and what helped for me is to note which heroes to avoid engaging with... or just stay a distance from in general.

http://www.furiouspaul.com/overwatch/hanzo.html

That's actually a fantastic resource all round

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I've stayed away from the snipers in general. My ping is usually too high as I play on the US servers with others.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

4 games in a row with people on my team leaving in my last 4 placement matches. :( Two of them we held our own pretty well as 5v6 and probably would have won. That's annoying.

Had my first games tonight with a full team. Much better craic than solo

The team-matchmaking is atrocious though. Like really bad.

We never got matched with another team. Placed into skirmish which timed out every time, and ended up being matched with either single player teams or groups of 2 or 3.

Hopefully it'll be dealt with before competitive becomes available on PS4

Well thats the price you pay for going in with a full premade. It tries to match games based on premade values first. So if you went in as six, it tries to match against another premade of six. Not a lot out there. Then breaks down to 5 + 1, 4 +2 , 3+3 and other permutations.

I think its a sweeping statement to call it atrocious, its been fine for me. Like any ranked game with MMR its going to take some time for people to play X number of games before skill rating gets accurate, and then the matchmaking can be more accurate.

But when you go in with 6, youve the benefit of the premade, but the penalty of having slower match making. Not many premade 6 player teams knocking about

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

So the whole the game is cancelled if a player leaves in the first two minutes doesn't seem to work. My whole team left after 90 seconds and I still got a loss. This a bug or have I misunderstood something?

• Advertisement

BKtje wrote: »
    So the whole the game is cancelled if a player leaves in the first two minutes doesn't seem to work. My whole team left after 90 seconds and I still got a loss. This a bug or have I misunderstood something?
    It does work as I've had it happen but it's 2 minutes from the start of the game; there's 60s before the game starts that's also counted towards those 2 minutes so in reality there's only a 60s window of actual game play.

Also had the whole enemy team quit on me on a capture the point map because we took it first...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement