Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overwatch - Blizzard's latest game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Grayditch wrote: »
    Sorry, level 25 players should be nowhere near Competitive Mode.

There are people well north of the 50's that should not be in it either, the rankings are not a reflection of skill, just how many hours you have put into the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

dunworth1 wrote: »
    is it too late to start playing this game? thinking of picking it up

Not at all, seasons only started and they're only 3 months long anyway. And you dont need to do the competiitve play to enjoy it, i still play quick play to mess about and in honing my sK!llZ :pac:
    Xenji wrote: »
    There are people well north of the 50's that should not be in it either, the rankings are not a reflection of skill, just how many hours you have put into the game.

True but it will still decrease the amount of people who dont know the basics or are really arsed with the game etc, but eh, ive decided not to take this season remotely serious, its still all in the teething stages and will likely be juggled about quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

nix wrote: »

True but it will still decrease the amount of people who dont know the basics or are really arsed with the game

Basically, this.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

If folks still think it's a normal "just kill the other team" fps by level 25 it's unlikely they'll know/be any better at level 50 and beyond tbh.

Nah listen, you'll learn a lot in another 25 levels about other characters abilities and how to handle different situations. If people think level 25 players are grand in competitive then fine, but... I think not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Every argument and complaint over the past few pages are the same ones that people have been complaining about with regards to League of Legends for years.

-Attitude in ranked / Quick play
    -People picking stupid characters
    -AFK / Leavers
    -No communication
    -People costing you the game, but never your fault.

Eventually you will realise the difference in your happiness/stress levels after a game or loss in Quick play and Ranked.

Quick play is just fun, you enjoy it and play around and have a laugh.
    Ranked , you get stressed because of other people and become more aggressive, often even if you win..it takes a lot out of you. You're not "ENJOYING" the game the way you thought you would when you bought it out of the box and the way you enjoy quick play.

Ideally I feel they should do away with the LEVEL number beside your name, as it doesn't indicate anything but time played. People will assume a players skill depending on their level without even seeing them play.
    Oh...he's LVL 200...he must be good. Do what he says...follow him !
    (well he might have played nothing but Mercy or Widow getting to there)
    Oh...he's lvl 28....NOOB !
    (Could be an amazing FPS player from TF2, or could be a smurf etc)

I'd prefer to be grouped into the way people are in Starcraft or LOL (Tiers , Gold..Silver...Platinum etc), but then that also comes with the fact that you can't play with lower ranked friends in competitive. So I'm not too sure.

Let's try stay positive, as we only have the 1 thread, and not let it devolve into a thread complaining about ranked games etc. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm slightly annoyed that I can't even try Ranked, purely because I haven't had time to reach level 25 yet.

*edit* and I reached level 15 or so in the beta, so it's no like I don't know how to play!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I'm slightly annoyed that I can't even try Ranked, purely because I haven't had time to reach level 25 yet.

*edit* and I reached level 15 or so in the beta, so it's no like I don't know how to play!

It's not going anywhere, it'll still be there waiting for you when you hit 25.
    It's nothing amazing either. You don't know what ranks other people are usually or what it even means.
    Sure you might get RANK 42 after your 10 games, and then be playing against RANK 48 or RANK 54.
    But what is that 10 RANK difference.....how BIG is that difference in skill, when it seems that 70% of people are 40-60.
    People also seem to be going up and down very quickly....which makes the ranking even more confusing.

SeantheMan wrote: »

Let's try stay positive, as we only have the 1 thread, and not let it devolve into a thread complaining about ranked games etc. :)

Looks like any other thread to me to be honest, people talking about what they like about the game and a what they see as possible improvements.

Competitive has turned out to be really good. The games are for the most part far more intense. The main issue is people leaving but I have no suggestion on how you can combat people being people.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Competitive has turned out to be really good. The games are for the most part far more intense. The main issue is people leaving but I have no suggestion on how you can combat people being people.

Why don't you go in with a pre-made group of 6 in that case

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

There's a potentially effective means to resolve the people leaving thing - keep whatever character they were playing locked to that game until it's finished so they can't play anything until that game's done. Kinda like the way World of Tanks does things - you take out your Tier 5 KV-1 and if you get it blapped, you can quit to another game, but your KV-1 stays in that first game until it's done.

Cormac... wrote: »
    Why don't you go in with a pre-made group of 6 in that case

I can get 3-4 most times. Can't get 6 people everythime I want to play Overwatch. Still see it happening to my team and the other team a bit on. I've won twice by default yesterday alone.

My jaunt from 20 to 25 can be summed up thusly.....

F**k Temple of Anubis

Great map.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Shiminay wrote: »
    There's a potentially effective means to resolve the people leaving thing - keep whatever character they were playing locked to that game until it's finished so they can't play anything until that game's done. Kinda like the way World of Tanks does things - you take out your Tier 5 KV-1 and if you get it blapped, you can quit to another game, but your KV-1 stays in that first game until it's done.

The LoL situation was a good one. Continued quits results in a ban from ranked play, when you leave you are locked out of comeptitive play until the game finishes, and there is significant points penalties

Up to 54 SR now. Seemingly KOTH maps are bugged and arn't affecting SR or something? So my friends say, but I've clearly seen my SR go up from it. KOTH seems to be mostly what I get.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

TheDoc wrote: »
    The LoL situation was a good one. Continued quits results in a ban from ranked play, when you leave you are locked out of comeptitive play until the game finishes, and there is significant points penalties

Don't know a thing about LoL, but that sounds like a decent solution for this game too.

I think they mentioned that repeated leavers will be banned from the current season (3 months). So it should be just at the start where there will be chaos.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I think they mentioned that repeated leavers will be banned from the current season (3 months). So it should be just at the start where there will be chaos.
    But the question is the threshold; is it percentage or fixed amount? How many will actually be affected by it etc. A threshold that only touches 0.1% of the quitters is not efficient but neither is one that will punish people who have a poor connection...

Is there no way Blizzard can know if someone selects "leave game" rather than loses connection?

Is there no way Blizzard can know if someone selects "leave game" rather than loses connection?

They will be treated the same afaik. The effect is the same on your team regardless.

• Advertisement

I guess so.

I've been really enjoying playing a Winston lately. He's Symmetra's nightmare. I know this from playing her so much. He ruins sentry turrets and teleporters like it's nothing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Not to mention you could just pull out the network cable, switch off the Wi-Fi or press Alt-F4 if there was less of a penalty for doing so.

I guess so.

I've been really enjoying playing a Winston lately. He's Symmetra's nightmare. I know this from player her so much. He ruins sentry turrets and teleporters like it's nothing :)

I play both classes an awful lot. I can't help but feel utterly helpless when I play Symmetra on defense and see Winston flying through the air towards me :D Might as well switch class straight away

Yeah, it takes him about 2-3 seconds to ruin about 1-2 mins of work. Especially on Volskya Industries.

I need to improve using his ult, though. I'm all over the place with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Every time I try to use Winston I get wrecked. Any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Its a good idea though, the game could keep track of people who choose to leave or DC consistently. Those who are constantly choosing to leave, ban them ****ers for life from comp play. Those who are constantly DCing, if they have constant stability issues, block them from comp play until they show signs of a consistent connection in game.

That could be done, right? :pac:
    Every time I try to use Winston I get wrecked. Any tips?

Dont play him on the front lines like you would rein/junk, you wanna be jumping around their team picking off the weak/low hp characters (genji/widow/hanzo etc) Use his jump to get around, has a really low cooldown and if getting attacked from afar just drop your shield, kite in and out of your shield to block damage from the like of solder76 who would wreck you, make note of where the big health packs are and go for them when needed.

With Winston, try to pick off people on the edges of attacks, especially Mercys and Lucios. Also don't do what I was doing for ages, jumping at an enemy and putting the shield down around both of us.

Put it down in front of Torbjorn's turrets and you can usually kill it before it kills the shield and you. You'll usually be killing Torbjorn himself if he's nearby, too.

Always jump away before you die :)

:pac:

I really hope they watched the Killcam.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Interesting video on why Supports are getting screwed in competitive play ranking.

In essence you need to carry a poor team to get good ratings as a support but a good team will drag you down ironically enough.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement