Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overwatch - Blizzard's latest game

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Needs to be sorted ASAP.

Mercy is probably my favourite hero, I just love being healer in games.
    Ive mained a healer in countless mmos ive played over the last decade so being screwed like this is not cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Cormac... wrote: »
    My jaunt from 20 to 25 can be summed up thusly.....

F**k Temple of Anubis

Point A is easy. 9/10 games has all the enemies set up at the arch, zip past all of them with Tracer and start taking the objective and they all start dropping back.

Point B is a pain in the balls though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,748 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Best attack for point B is always through the alley on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Uhm... okay

Great play in fairness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

nix wrote: »
    Dont play him on the front lines like you would rein/junk, you wanna be jumping around their team picking off the weak/low hp characters (genji/widow/hanzo etc) Use his jump to get around, has a really low cooldown and if getting attacked from afar just drop your shield, kite in and out of your shield to block damage from the like of solder76 who would wreck you, make note of where the big health packs are and go for them when needed.
    Grayditch wrote: »
    With Winston, try to pick off people on the edges of attacks, especially Mercys and Lucios. Also don't do what I was doing for ages, jumping at an enemy and putting the shield down around both of us.

Put it down in front of Torbjorn's turrets and you can usually kill it before it kills the shield and you. You'll usually be killing Torbjorn himself if he's nearby, too.

Always jump away before you die :)

Lads, took your tips on board and took Winston for a spin in a couple of quick plays and had much better success. Later I was playing competitive and we were attacking on Hollywood and I had a lightbulb moment. I don't think I'd be exaggerating to say Winston and I won us the match. So cheers for that. ;) He's actually excellent for getting in behind and disrupting at that first choke point that can be really tough to break.

Some of the Pharah's on comp are insanely good

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Great play in fairness

Closest I'm gonna get in competitive anyway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Love Pharah myself. Play it the most.

Pharah attacking.Tjorb on defense or Bastian

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

He's actually excellent for getting in behind and disrupting at that first choke point that can be really tough to break.

That's it, man. Jump behind their whole team, drop the shield and start electrocuting them. They'll turn to fight you and your team will (Hopefully) plug them in the back. He's a fantastic disruptor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Actually had a great battle with another Winston tonight. Both ulted at the same time on a couple of occasions for a King Kong melee fight.

We both dropped shields over other shields at time making for a confusing ven diagram of who can shoot what.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

True- you have to play a Winston as a bullet distraction for you team. So jumping behind the enemy line as they push and being a general nuisance. You might die a lot but if you get the timing right between jetpack jumps you can survive a bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Still experimenting with other characters. Tried Reaper for the first time last night (after having been demolished by one several times when we were on Defend on Anubis). Teleported to Point B and hit my Ultimate killing at least 4 of the other team. Not overly sold on him in general though.

Also tried Zenyatta as support but a) team wouldn't stick together which meant trying to heal was a pain in the hole and b) still don't think he's a patch on Mercy.

Was up against one or two good Junkrats too when playing as Reinhardt. They can fairly blast through the shield with those bombs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

No such things as sticking to the same 6 Heros in Competitive anyway, went 3-2 in competitive so far but that was with some strategic character changes and good ultimate chaining.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Penn wrote: »
    Tried Reaper for the first time last night (after having been demolished by one several times when we were on Defend on Anubis). Teleported to Point B and hit my Ultimate killing at least 4 of the other team. Not overly sold on him in general though.
    Honestly his ultimate is quite weak and easily interrupted; his big benefit is his shotguns has ok range and can teleport behind enemy lines/spots and if pushed can ghost away. With the health orbs from killed players he can be quite independent and can take out tanks such as Roadhog (Roadhog's shotty has shorter range and misses a lot of pellets).
    Also tried Zenyatta as support but a) team wouldn't stick together which meant trying to heal was a pain in the hole and b) still don't think he's a patch on Mercy.
    Zenyatta works as a DPS/Healer; his main problem is his low hp (but a good Zeny can slaughter a enemy team if not focused).
    Was up against one or two good Junkrats too when playing as Reinhardt. They can fairly blast through the shield with those bombs.
    Also Symmetra's charged orbs goes through the shield and as he's moving slowly those can quite easily take big chunks of his health out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Definitely feels like Pharoh appearing a lot more in Comp now then she was earlier on in the games release. Obviously as people play more, and the established "top players" start working stuff out the crowd will follow.

Something has definitly happened with Pharoh alright, showing up in every game I play. While a nuisance at the start to me as a Reaper, I just go Solider 76 and deal with her comfortably now.

Issue now being I can't carry games as hard on Solider as I can on Reaper, especially KOTH maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

TheDoc wrote: »
    Definitely feels like Pharoh appearing a lot more in Comp now then she was earlier on in the games release. Obviously as people play more, and the established "top players" start working stuff out the crowd will follow.

Something has definitly happened with Pharoh alright, showing up in every game I play. While a nuisance at the start to me as a Reaper, I just go Solider 76 and deal with her comfortably now.

Issue now being I can't carry games as hard on Solider as I can on Reaper, especially KOTH maps.

I think people have realized that Pharah is way more efficient at clearing turrets and general area denial. Plus the splash damage. She is just a way better hard counter when people turret up on assault maps.

Nody wrote: »
    Honestly his ultimate is quite weak and easily interrupted; his big benefit is his shotguns has ok range and can teleport behind enemy lines/spots and if pushed can ghost away. With the health orbs from killed players he can be quite independent and can take out tanks such as Roadhog (Roadhog's shotty has shorter range and misses a lot of pellets).

Yeah I switched to him to teleport to the middle of the control point and try and break defences with the Ultimate. I'd say the only reason I killed 4 was proximity and weakened by others. Got quickly killed by another (which is also why I didn't get Play of the Game, a Bastion on our team rolled in, killed who was left and then the 4 that I had killed coming out of the spawn).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

For someone like me who cut his teeth on QuakeWorld, Pharah is a wonderful return to the past of aiming at people's feet to hit them with both the rocket and the splash damage. It's a useful instinct when you're trying to blap people off the edge of things using her concussive attack.

Had great fun playing as Luchio last night where I ended up 1 on 1 with a Reinhart. Poor guy couldn't get a look in as I ran rings around him and kept hitting him with the alt fire to send him flying :D

Shiminay wrote: »
    For someone like me who cut his teeth on QuakeWorld, Pharah is a wonderful return to the past of aiming at people's feet to hit them with both the rocket and the splash damage. It's a useful instinct when you're trying to blap people off the edge of things using her concussive attack.

Yeah I used to main the Soldier in TF2 and shooting rockets at their feet was invaluable for initial damage, damage when they landed (as it'd knock them flying into the air) and getting them out of the way (especially snipers out of their corners).

Might try Pharah tonight a few times. See how she feels.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Got good kill streaks as Symmetra (chasing down unaware Genji's is my fav), effectively denied point A nearly by myself for the whole round, only died 2-3 times.

Play of the Game goes to random Junkrat :(

Should you use your ult sparingly as mercy? Is one dead ally enough?

Depends really. I often hang around a Tank so I am generating a LOT of healing so my Ult charges very often. I think if you keep waiting for 3+ revives you'd only get one every 2 games. Best off just use it as it charges imho. That being said, you should use common sense. If it's just me and a dead Troburn versus 3 or 4 enemies I just accept my death and save it

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Adventagious

I'd say wait for two people and then go for it - you'll probably be buzzing around healing and boosting people so much you'll have it re-charged in no time anyway.

The temptation to wait for 3 or 4 is strong but not worth it in my opinion - you waste a lot of time and that perfect Huge Rez scenario rarely comes up. I've played a good few hours as mercy and do well with her, but never got that achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I try and heal as best as i can to keep everybody up, but if it starts to get a bit overwhelming ill heal more cautiously to swoop in for a mass rez. But then sometimes you gotta make a more tactical decision, if its all seeming more overwhelming, id sometimes just bang out a rez if i feel im gonna die and always try and make it that you're rezzing atleast 2 and one of them is the tank, so you can increase the strength of the last stand.

But yeah i would barely/never rez just one person

I'd say wait for two people and then go for it - you'll probably be buzzing around healing and boosting people so much you'll have it re-charged in no time anyway.

The temptation to wait for 3 or 4 is strong but not worth it in my opinion - you waste a lot of time and that perfect Huge Rez scenario rarely comes up. I've played a good few hours as mercy and do well with her, but never got that achievement.

I've played 4 hours as her and gotten about 10x 3+ Revives, 4 of which were 4 people. It's a lot of luck really. Usually like in the comic above, turning up after an Ult has wrecked my team.

I got 2 of them in Competitive last night and was salty I didn't get PotG for one of them until I realised that Junkrat had just done a 4x wipe to get the 4 kills I had res'd with his ULT.

Res'ing a Tank on the objective and boosting him is game winning on occasions, it definately was last night on Kings Row and Dorado. That being said I was playing behind Kaiser as a Tank and he was doing really well

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Don't let Mei's innocent charade fool you, she enjoys killing...

https://gfycat.com/AptShoddyHagfish

• Advertisement

My kingdom for a top-tier Widowmaker / Hanzo in our PS4 group.

I've been watching so many strategy guides and they almost always occupy one of the 6 spots in defense (for obvious reasons)

I can't hit barn door as them, it's almost like other FPS games have ruined Sniping for me, it actually feels snappier here and I'm messing up by overleading the target

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement