Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overwatch - Blizzard's latest game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭Penn

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I got voted once. I managed to kill three people pushing the payload just before it got into the end zone and push it back up the hill and around the corner where we managed to hold it for the rest of the game.

How is play of the game decided?

I saw a POTG recently where a Junkrat on our team died while defending on Gibraltar. The payload only had a few meters left to go. Our Junkrat died with his ult, so he let it loose and the game ended before he could hit anyone with it. It didn't even explode. If it had exploded he'd have probably gotten 5 kills with it, but even the POTG replay ended without anyone actually being killed by it. It was really weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Speaking of POTG, a Mercy on our team got it last night, must only be the third time I have seen it, but the player managed to get a 4 player kill streak with the gun and then resurrected about 3 players.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Mercy's damage output is actually surprisingly scarey for anybody with decent aim, few times now ive started shooting a lone mercy to toy with them and they start shooting back and i think ill just tank through and win, or that its not doing much damage to me and then boom, embarrassing death :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Avacad0

Playing it all day long. Mercy's POTGs are quite common even if no kills, just resurrecting 3-4 teammates.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Stormhawk88

Have been away with work for the last couple of weeks so only got to start in to competitive last night. On my second game somebody left then the whole team decided nope we're out. i don't understand why if somebody leaves they don't just abandon the match and reset the whole thing. In the end I was left on my own 6 vs 1.

http://imgur.com/SyU7zxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

POTG has just turned into a funny random sidething now, not something to work towards.

I've gotten it for stupid things as I'm sure everyone has.

Yesterday I played Reaper, got behind their team...took out 2 people...before going further into their group and Ulting (so killing 4 in total pretty quickly) . When POTG and my name popped up...I was sure it was that.

But no....there was a Pharah in the middle of her ult, and I was 20ft below her just jumping up and down and shooting at her with my shotguns, eventually managing to kill her during her ult.

I got POTG for that 'SHUTDOWN' instead of my great play. It was embarrassing :(

I don't even look at the POTG or cards anymore. They've lost my interest somehow.

Got a decent match winning play there last night as reaper. Simple stuff really. It came down to sudden death on Dorado, we were attacking. I take the right most flank using shadow step and come up behind mercy, bastion and reinhardt completely dug in on some of the roofs. It was glorious to behold; all of them facing the other direction. Killed mercy first, then bastion, then reinhardt. It was a simple walk in with the payload from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

nix wrote: »
    Mercy's damage output is actually surprisingly scarey for anybody with decent aim, few times now ive started shooting a lone mercy to toy with them and they start shooting back and i think ill just tank through and win, or that its not doing much damage to me and then boom, embarrassing death :o

I absolutely love Mercy's pistol. There are a lot of 1v1s that you'll win with it, and most people aren't expecting it. I've 'embarrassed' a few people with it at this stage. You can switch to it really quickly and blap out a few shots, then straight back to healing.

Actually got a POTG with Mercy the other night where I got 3 eliminations and then rezzed 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Winston is almost never a bad choice once you get the hang of his jump angles and cool downs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Adventagious

Cormac... wrote: »
    Winston is almost never a bad choice once you get the hang of his jump angles and cool downs :)

As someone who almost exclusively plays Mercy/Lucio i am 100% behind this.

Winston is great at discouraging fast flankers like tracer/genji and brilliant for bounding over the first line of defense and getting everyone panicking.

I'll often focus on giving Mercy's damage boost to Winston over Reaper or Soldier...that thing MELTS people with a boost and Winston is tanky enough to just get in people's face for a few seconds.

Enemy Pharah causing trouble? Jump up and taze her!
    Symettra Nest blocking a choke-point? Jump in, shield and spray!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

What are PC players averaging as their rank?

My highest is 51. But seem to fluctuate a lot between 48-50

As more games are played your rank will balance out and get more parity. Wouldn't be overly concerned about season 1 as some issues are ironed out etc.

I'm currently bouncing between 56-57, getting so close to 58 then a loss dropping me an entire level. At the moment I need about 3 wins to level, and one loss drops me back.

Have some friends in the 60's and some lads I know from LoL are around low 70's.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Must actually get on tonight and have a few more games of this :D

And I'm just hear creeping from 42 to a whooping 46 :D

I'm finding it really frustrating that only about 5%-10% of PS4 players in Random groups are on mic
    It's especially annoying in competitive when you can see no-one other than yourself and maybe another player are changing characters when your group is banging it's head against a brick wall and the others refuse to change from their less optimum choices.
    Just wish I could go "Please, we don't need 2 Soldiers 76's, a Hanzo and a Bastion on Control. It's a bad combo, we're getting DESTROYED by Rhien + 2x Junkrat + Tracer"

Had a Genji on defence giving it LARGE in the "We need a healer" space.
    Again I was the only Tank.
    No games were harmed that day.
    Progress

As someone who almost exclusively plays Mercy/Lucio i am 100% behind this.

There's almost never a bad case for a good Mercy player, especially if she's supporting someone with good manoeuvrability

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Adventagious

There's almost never a bad case for a good Mercy player, especially if she's supporting someone with good manoeuvrability

Aye, i'll take Lucio for Lijiang Tower and Nepal and Illios; anywhere i can still heal trying to bounce people into the void.

Other than that, Mercy all the way.

Looking forward to the Zenyatta buff hitting consoles, he was my most played for a while but just can't hold his own in Competitive unless there's another healer.

I'm finding him fairly situational since competitive came along. Any decent mercy/lucio can escape him. He is countered quite hard by roadhog/reaper, one of which (if not both) are usually picked. Even decent hanzo/widowmaker can evade him. Tracer can outplay him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

And I'm just hear creeping from 42 to a whooping 46 :D

I'm finding it really frustrating that only about 5%-10% of PS4 players in Random groups are on mic
    It's especially annoying in competitive when you can see no-one other than yourself and maybe another player are changing characters when your group is banging it's head against a brick wall and the others refuse to change from their less optimum choices.
    Just wish I could go "Please, we don't need 2 Soldiers 76's, a Hanzo and a Bastion on Control. It's a bad combo, we're getting DESTROYED by Rhien + 2x Junkrat + Tracer"

Had a Genji on defence giving it LARGE in the "We need a healer" space.
    Again I was the only Tank.
    No games were harmed that day.
    Progress

I'm finding the inbuilt VOIP for information during a game. Calling out this that and the other. Surprisingly havnt experienced much hostility over VOIP.

Noticing that the "meta" is starting to finally filter down. Apart from the obvious niche picks, seem to be constantly be in teams of 2 tanks, 2 healers(1 healer + support) and two DPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Level 52. Next win gets me 53, I think. And so begins the descending snowball back to 48.

I'm on 54. Can't handle these dizzying heights.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

I was up to 55 or 56 but have now fallen back down to around 50. Thing was the game was much more enjoyable at 50-55 as most people at least had an idea wtf they were doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Anyone else have an issue where a player leaves - the game tells you it's OK to abandon the match without penalty and when you do you still get dropped an entire rank?

I'm already noticing a bit of a difference around this level. People taking roles more seriously. Games just feel better.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Anyone else have an issue where a player leaves - the game tells you it's OK to abandon the match without penalty and when you do you still get dropped an entire rank?

Yeah, I don't think (though am open to correction) the drop in rank is considered a penalty. Leaving a match is still losing a match as far as that goes.

Penalty just refers to the exp you'd lose from playing further matches within a fixed time, or the 30 minute or so ban you get from comp for leaving early

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Yeah, I don't think (though am open to correction) the drop in rank is considered a penalty. Leaving a match is still losing a match as far as that goes.

Penalty just refers to the exp you'd lose from playing further matches within a fixed time, or the 30 minute or so ban you get from comp for leaving early

Well that's just bullshít..

It says Loss Or Penalty at first, and then changes to just Penalty.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,280 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Pretty sure there's bans for people who quit a lot so the penalty would also include that. It sucks you still get a loss but the alternative is a lot worse imo ie people strategically getting someone on their team to quit when they're going to lose...people would be boosting to rank 100 in no time.

Hit 6 wins in a row today I think, so I'm at 56. I've been lucky to be on some great teams, but the opposition was pig hard.

Something something, 90's kids will get this something

tumblr_o7kr4tvzG51ry5zd7o1_1280.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Something something, 90's kids will get this something

tumblr_o7kr4tvzG51ry5zd7o1_1280.jpg

asterix and obelix?

I think you mean kids since the 60's/70' onwards :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

The matchmaking is awful lately. Regularly getting paired with level 80/90 players and level < 10 players. I'm level 26.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement