Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overwatch - Blizzard's latest game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

I like the game, not very good at it, but I like it. But I'm very unhappy with how they're handling the cosmetic items in the game. I'd have no problem buying a specific skin I wanted for like 1-2 euro, but buying a loot box at 2 euro a pop and having no guarantee to get the skin I want is infuriating. Even more so with these summer games items. I haven't bought a loot box yet and I don't plan on doing so, (unless I find a way to use my built up Three credit to buy them on PC), but the way they're handling it is just annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Wing126 wrote: »
    I like the game, not very good at it, but I like it. But I'm very unhappy with how they're handling the cosmetic items in the game. I'd have no problem buying a specific skin I wanted for like 1-2 euro, but buying a loot box at 2 euro a pop and having no guarantee to get the skin I want is infuriating. Even more so with these summer games items. I haven't bought a loot box yet and I don't plan on doing so, (unless I find a way to use my built up Three credit to buy them on PC), but the way they're handling it is just annoying.

Microtransactions is one thing but the fact that you can actually get duplicates if you buy a loot box is a clear insult to any customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

I just wonder how they would justify this to the players if they had to. Like what kind of PR bull**** could they come up with to justify people wasting their money trying to get the skins they want. "You could potentially spend a hundred euro or more to get your favourite skins! How fantastic is that?? Really makes those skins feel rare and valuable, doesn't it?"

Sorry, just wanted to rant a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Stormhawk88

Servers currently being DDOS'd. Looks like the banhammer hurt a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Servers currently being DDOS'd. Looks like the banhammer hurt a lot of people.

Really being raped alright. Caused a lot of issues with games, random DC's, entire teams going "afk"

• Advertisement

I quite like the way the skins are. I like that there is no market place so people aren't going on about trading in-game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Wing126 wrote: »
    I just wonder how they would justify this to the players if they had to. Like what kind of PR bull**** could they come up with to justify people wasting their money trying to get the skins they want. "You could potentially spend a hundred euro or more to get your favourite skins! How fantastic is that?? Really makes those skins feel rare and valuable, doesn't it?"

Sorry, just wanted to rant a little.
    You mean beyond the fact you get a free box for every 10 or so games? And get in game currency (for free) from duplicates and as drops to buy you what ever skin you want? I bought 50 boxes at level 50 (100 boxes total, 50 from leveling, 50 bought) and I had over 3k in game currency. That's more than enough to buy 3 legendary skins of choice beyond the 20 odd skins (inc. a few legendary) I already had so sorry but your complaint is quite frankly silly. The whole point of micro transactions is to get people to use them often and a lot; if they sold them separately they would more likely be in the 10 EUR range for legendary once since that's the whole point of rare skins...

Nody wrote: »
    You mean beyond the fact you get a free box for every 10 or so games? And get in game currency (for free) from duplicates and as drops to buy you what ever skin you want? I bought 50 boxes at level 50 (100 boxes total, 50 from leveling, 50 bought) and I had over 3k in game currency. That's more than enough to buy 3 legendary skins of choice beyond the 20 odd skins (inc. a few legendary) I already had so sorry but your complaint is quite frankly silly. The whole point of micro transactions is to get people to use them often and a lot; if they sold them separately they would more likely be in the 10 EUR range for legendary once since that's the whole point of rare skins...

I couldn't agree more. I usually hate skins or anything that encourages micro transactions but overwatch has got it perfect for me. I get the thrill of opening cases but I don't have to buy a key like in csgo or tf2. I absolutely hate that you get cases as drops in those games but requite a further transaction to open them. 99% of the time I sell them straight away but that 1% somehow gets me and I always regret it. I'm not even tempted to buy cases in this. It's great.

I imagine moving forward, once the sting of paying €60 upfront has faded, blizzard will release a market place just like valve's. They would be mad not to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I came across what might be a peculiar form of griefing last night. In one King's Row match on defend, we were fairly doing alright, but I noticed that quite a few of our team were leaving mid-match and I couldn't quite figure why because it wasn't the usual rage-quit when things are going bad, we were holding our own. Then someone invited me to a group. I declined, because I wanted to finish the match and it was nearly over, thinking I'd message them after it was finished. I had assumed it was a friend, but no, it was actually someone from the other team. If I had accepted the group invititation it would've pulled me from the match, and then it became obvious why so many people had been leaving this game, they were maliciously being invited to group so they'd be forced to leave. We ended up losing, but ****ing hell what a nasty way to **** up a game for people.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

There was a guy who kept doing the select/unselected carachter thing (making the icon flash). I find that a bit annoying, so I jumped in as Reaper while he was doing it and managed to secure it while he had unselected.

I got a message telling me to "change Reaper now, you retard" before the match had started. I guess he really wanted to be Reaper. I couldn't care about being that carachter, I'm not even that good with him so I....

...obviously stayed as Reaper! He spent the build-up "punching" me. Felt great. I went on to do well with Reaper out of spite and now I pick him all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,280 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Grayditch wrote: »
    There was a guy who kept doing the select/unselected carachter thing (making the icon flash). I find that a bit annoying, so I jumped in as Reaper while he was doing it and managed to secure it while he had unselected.

I got a message telling me to "change Reaper now, you retard" before the match had started. I guess he really wanted to be Reaper. I couldn't care about being that carachter, I'm not even that good with him so I....

...obviously stayed as Reaper! He spent the build-up "punching" me. Felt great. I went on to do well with Reaper out of spite and now I pick him all the time.

The little victories are the best victories.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Grayditch wrote: »

Reaper's great. Oddly enough I don't pick him often, but I had a competitive match last night where two people on my team left after the first half and we had to attack with only 4 on Watchpoint. Then one more left during the countdown so it was 3v6. Chose Reaper; still got a rake of kills.

Payload never moved though. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I'm good with reaper but i just find him o so boring to play :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

People who spam "Group up with me" when they are playing as a Flanker and Don't have their Ultimate ready is a real pain in the hole, came across 2 yesterday and it was pretty exhausting to have to listen to

Almost as bad as the players who have like 1 combined hour of playing support and are like level 80 and spam "We Need a Healer" as they pick Hanzo and play very badly

This game has me messaging more randoms than I ever have before telling them to "stop" or "STFU" or "Go pick a Healer so, I'm our only Tank" :o

Had some German lad losing his mind as D'Va yesterday about (in my limited German) "Where is my team?", "Why am I the only one here?", "My Team is rubbish?" etc into the Mic (after jet packing right into a group of 6 on his own), while giving it LARGE on the Chat about "We Need a Healer".... Given I was the only Flanker and we had a much more useful Tank (Rheinheart I think?) I eventually took out my Mic and gave him a piece of my mind (since he was basically b***hing all 5 of us out and 2 or 3 of us were on Fire. Next thing ya know, German guy mutes himself and changes to Healer. Success!

The characters you meet who think we're all there to pander to their play style, regardless of how bad or suitable their play/character is, is comical at times :pac:

Really getting sick of the D.Va instal-pick on Comp on Console now. She may be buffed, but that doesn't mean she should be picked 100% of the time.

Part of me dies every match I load in and wait for the 4 or 5 randoms to pick their guys and see once again "No Healer", "No Support", "No Tank", "No Builder" :(

Guess I'm going Winston again.... :/

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Adventagious

Cormac... wrote: »

Almost as bad as the players who have like 1 combined hour of playing support and are like level 80 and spam "We Need a Healer" as they pick Hanzo and play very badly

:/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/4vs4vv/a_useful_tip_for_hanzo_player/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I dont know why Hanzo gets ragged on so much, anytime i play him, i usually get top damage or gold/silver in kills.

Why is it common for people to ask to swtich from hanzo to something else?

I'm talking PC gaming here btw

I would say about 15% of Hanzo Players on Console are "Good" the rest are pretty poor.

I don't think he's picked anywhere near as much on Console as he is on PC if the Reddit-Anti-Hanzo sentiment is anything to go by.

It's essentially annoying little Call of Duty type players who wanna be MLG and have the rest of us 5 just slog around helping them in some way or another and you go into their Career profile and OBVIOUSLY they never play Support or Tank.

It's funny because on PS4 i Rarely see a Hanzo make the "Voting Accolades" screen compared to a lot of other players, and I rarely see them on Fire.

It's a whole lot of "Moooooom!!! Did you see that Mid Air Headshot?!!"

I'd imagine if I could push beyond Level 50 on Comp this would be less of an issue :/

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Adventagious

I would say about 15% of Hanzo Players on Console are "Good" the rest are pretty poor.

I don't think he's picked anywhere near as much on Console as he is on PC if the Reddit-Anti-Hanzo sentiment is anything to go by.

It's essentially annoying little Call of Duty type players who wanna be MLG and have the rest of us 5 just slog around helping them in some way or another and you go into their Career profile and OBVIOUSLY they never play Support or Tank.

It's funny because on PS4 i Rarely see a Hanzo make the "Voting Accolades" screen compared to a lot of other players, and I rarely see them on Fire.

It's a whole lot of "Moooooom!!! Did you see that Mid Air Headshot?!!"

I'd imagine if I could push beyond Level 50 on Comp this would be less of an issue :/

I see him picked very rarely in rank 57+ games, or by anyone under level 90 or so.

And yeah, i'm on the xbox...can see him being of more value on the PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Links234 wrote: »
    I came across what might be a peculiar form of griefing last night. In one King's Row match on defend, we were fairly doing alright, but I noticed that quite a few of our team were leaving mid-match and I couldn't quite figure why because it wasn't the usual rage-quit when things are going bad, we were holding our own. Then someone invited me to a group. I declined, because I wanted to finish the match and it was nearly over, thinking I'd message them after it was finished. I had assumed it was a friend, but no, it was actually someone from the other team. If I had accepted the group invititation it would've pulled me from the match, and then it became obvious why so many people had been leaving this game, they were maliciously being invited to group so they'd be forced to leave. We ended up losing, but ****ing hell what a nasty way to **** up a game for people.

There was a lot of weird **** going on last night. In one game I had one person on my team and one on the enemy team disconnect at the same time, and at the exact same moment - every player that was in a pre-made all went afk, but were still connected.

Seems like it was all to do with the DDoS and unreliable connections to the blizz servers causing timeouts etc.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Hanzo does really well on the PC as any sniper class would. I can see how a "bad" Hanzo on a controller would be a MASSIVE problem to a team though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Stop dissing my buddy hanzo.... he is class :D

And widow maker is becoming a favourite of mine too.

I played as D. Va the other day to suprisingly good effect so overall im not doing too bad but need to put more time into this asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think overall the loot system is pretty good. My only complaint would be how you get f*ck all credits for a duplicated item, I think it's 20%.

Should get at least half. It's not the fault of the player that they get a dupe item. At least if you got half the value back you'd have more credits to save up for other items, but it still wouldn't be so much that the option of buying loot crates with real money becomes pointless. If anything, at least buying loot crates would help you build up more credits to buy the items you want.

Hanzo/Widowmaker are grand choices depending on the game mode, if you are attacking/defending and the rest of the Team Comp, so just like any character.

I mean, stick him behind Rheinheart with a 76 and a Support and you're set.

LOTS of very rubbish players on console pick him in Competitive no matter what and that's the problem.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Hanzo/Widowmaker are grand choices depending on the game mode, if you are attacking/defending and the rest of the Team Comp, so just like any character.

I mean, stick him behind Rheinheart with a 76 and a Support and you're set.

LOTS of very rubbish players on console pick him in Competitive no matter what and that's the problem.

Thankfully I'm only lvl 13 so no comp yet for me but I'm sure you guys would tell me if I was useless with him :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I'm an absolutely shite Hanzo. I found an ingenious way to get around this; I don't pick him. Unfortunately so many people don't seem to have stumbled upon this solution.

On a related note, I had a comp game last night where 3 of the team picked Hanzo, Widow and Ana. I had an amazing premonition that we were about to lose and it turns out I'm some kind of Nostradamus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Thankfully I'm only lvl 13 so no comp yet for me but I'm sure you guys would tell me if I was useless with him :P

Your useless with him. There. It had to be said.

Your useless with him. There. It had to be said.

Hey I didnt use hanzo in the games with you the other night, i demand a recount of votes :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Hey I didnt use hanzo in the games with you the other night, i demand a recount of votes :P

Hanging-chad-copy.png

Still useless.

Still useless.

Its hard to accept the validity of this one..... I admit defeat and hand back my bow.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

As has been said, 90% of Hanzos on console are brutal. Get 2 Ults out during a match killing maybe 2 each time and thats a solid performance in their book. You don't see that many as when the game was first out. They're all retired.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement