Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overwatch - Blizzard's latest game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Symmetra on Defence is amazing :D

She's unreal in defence. Good luck ever getting voted best player, though. Ah to be fair I have a few times. People like when you shield them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

playing all day.

such a great game. there's a depth to this that you don't get in TF2. i think we'll see "metas" evolving all the time like dota that will be fun. anyone seen a hero stack team yet? everyone the same hero?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

froog wrote: »
    anyone seen a hero stack team yet? everyone the same hero?

A few of my guildies did it earlier today with ... the tank with the shield? Four of them in a square, with others inside firing out. They also did a defense with a team of the dwarvish lad with the turret.

They cleaned up on both occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

TheDoc wrote: »
    Very enjoyable game. Feels like it might suffer from becoming repetitive fast, but extremely enjoyable.

I get that feeling a bit too.

I think there are a few issues. The gametype you get put into is random, and it's a max of 6v6. Some maps are also quite small.
    These often make for very short games. Some only last 2 minutes I've found...especially if it's one sided.

If we take TF2 as a comparison...there are multiple gametypes....actually ALL those in Overwatch are already in TF2 ...and more.
    All these gametypes are selectable, so you can choose a server for your preferred gametype.
    TF2 allows for up to 32 players (16 v 16) and depending on servers there are custom rules (limited classes etc)

When I go to play a game of TF2 I know it may take 20-30 minutes, whereas Overwatch seems like something if I have 3 minutes to spare I'll jump on and play and can get a round in and leave.
    Also I haven't seen the ingame comms being very effective, and noone using voice chat as of yet.

The more I play the more it seems like a graphically enhanced 'arcadish' (quick rounds) TF2 with more characters, but less depth, fewer gametypes and fewer server options. I don't know if it's worth 65 for Origin edition or the higher price for the collectors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

• Advertisement

I feel like I would need more gametypes. Saying that, I'm not bored yet, I just think it needs about 2-3 more to break it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Find it a bit baffling they're launching this as is. That is with one game mode 6 v 6 random. Can't even chose whether it's payload or attack defend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

That voting thing at the end irritates me. Had a zone defense match and got a 26 killstreak with the turret guy, pretty much saved us a number of times. But that didnt merit a single vote from my team apparently. Should have sat back and let them lose.:mad:

I've had to stop caring about that. And "Play of the game". It's usually a turret triple kill. A full list of everything people did at the end would be nice, though.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The beta is pretty much the full game at launch as far as I know so the full price tag is a bit steep for me (on console anyway), would be good to see some sort of road map regarding future DLC, they've said any new characters, maps and gamemodes will be free haven't they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Decided I had to check this out on PC since a lot of people I know are playing there so I got windows on my Mac and fortunately it just about runs. I actually love this game. Easily the most fun I've had with a multiplayer game since TLOU (tbf Rocket League is great fun too).

I might get it on PS4 too depending on if I can play with people.

My new favourite game is finding the most clever/irritating places to put Symetra's turrets.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The beta is pretty much the full game at launch as far as I know so the full price tag is a bit steep for me (on console anyway), would be good to see some sort of road map regarding future DLC, they've said any new characters, maps and gamemodes will be free haven't they?
    If thats true same with me. Its a fine game but I think the community will get bored of it quickly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Correct.

I can't see myself buying this if the full game is identical. I'd like to pick which map to play on at the very least. What is my latency ffs???? I think I've gotten everything out of it in this short beta.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,366 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Played the game most of the weekend, and I can say that while the game is fun it is a bit thin on the ground with regards to game modes. And for that price it is incredibly steep.

The tank classes are also lacking something, the likes of Roadhog and Reinhart are VERY situational and their damage seems to be very inconsistent. The others I couldn't use effectively at all in most matches, But that might just be me.

I used Mercy for nearly all my healing and found her to be near identical to the doctor in TF2, which isn't a bad thing :)

Damage wise Bastion is OP as hell and the likes of Soldier 76 and Reaper didnt appeal to me.

But that's my very brief overview.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Vicxas wrote: »
    Damage wise Bastion is OP as hell and the likes of Soldier 76 and Reaper didnt appeal to me.
    Bastion is free exp for a Widowmaker or Hanzo though (you can shot their shoulders without them being able to shot back); I had enemy team with 2 Bastions and switched to Widowmaker and kept them running away/dying the whole game until we capped. Now if the enemy does not switch up and focus them down (i.e. I've seen some Widowmakers' park themselves in a spot and take pot shots only) they can be insanely op.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

The one thing I can say for sure after the weekend's beta, I'm gonna get this game. Off to see what Green Man can do for me price wise :D

• Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Grayditch wrote: »
    I've had to stop caring about that. And "Play of the game". It's usually a turret triple kill. A full list of everything people did at the end would be nice, though.

Yea, I play as healer every time and usually don't kill anything. There are times when I am healing like mad, reviving 2 or 3 people to save / capture a zone but it seems play of the game only focuses on kills.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Have they announced what other modes are in the game?

Also why is the pc version cheaper, is there something extra in the console version

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Played 19 hours since last Tuesday beta early access and reckon I have a good grasp it now.
    The most impressive aspect is the polish, as always blizz are head and shoulders above the crowd here.
    I don't get the complaints about limited game modes simply because id rather have maps and modes complimenting eachother.
    The the maps are tailor made for the modes and not just game modes thrown into maps without thought like other games.
    Gameplay is fantastic,heroes feel really diverse and a totally different from eachother to play yet the balance seems to be spot on, blizz went to great pans to try get the balance right and to me they got it down pretty good.

Utterly brilliant game that I reckon will offer me more longevity than anything else out there ive played.

When the beta ends I will be playing Battleborn, similar game yet very different, cant recommend it enough also.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

DeSelby83 wrote: »

Also why is the pc version cheaper, is there something extra in the console version

PC games are always cheaper.
    One of the delights of PC gaming.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Dcully wrote: »
    PC games are always cheaper.
    One of the delights of PC gaming.

Not only that, you can only guy the "Origins Edition" on console, on PC you can get it without the extra skins and that for a fair bit cheaper.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

DeSelby83 wrote: »

They're adding ranked mm, and confirmed interest in suggestions for a Capture-the-flag type mode. They also said future maps and characters will be free to keep the community together (probably to a certain point).

Either way the game plays pretty much flawless. My only gripe is the support roster is pretty lacklustre and sometimes boring. I hope the first hero they add post launch is a healer.

Also... did anyone see Cloud9 player was caught cheating the Overkill grand finals yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

They're adding ranked mm, and confirmed interest in suggestions for a Capture-the-flag type mode. They also said future maps and characters will be free to keep the community together (probably to a certain point).

Either way the game plays pretty much flawless. My only gripe is the support roster is pretty lacklustre and sometimes boring. I hope the first hero they add post launch is a healer.

Also... did anyone see Cloud9 player was caught cheating the Overkill grand finals yesterday?

How was he cheating?

also, how many free skins in the origin? i thought it was only a sniper skin free?

I'm really contemplating getting the collectors edition :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 40 JakHicks

Yeah that was a decent weekend of it. Had some odd lag issues last night but other than that it was a flawless experience!
    I'd say I'll drop the cash for it when it's fully out...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

nix wrote: »
    How was he cheating?

also, how many free skins in the origin? i thought it was only a sniper skin free?

I'm really contemplating getting the collectors edition :eek:

He was aimbotting, there was videos and gifs of one of the players headshotting through the wall amongst other things. I really hope Blizzard have their anti-cheat **** together.

Mercy is a healer, no? Almost identical to the doctor from TF2.

I just want more options than "quick match" going forward. I don't think that's too much to ask.

I have the usual gripes with the skins. Although rare, sometimes I can't instantly tell what a particular class is. I have gotten Reaper and McCree mixed up a few times. A mild annoyance that I could do without.

Mercy is a healer, no? Almost identical to the doctor from TF2.

I just want more options than "quick match" going forward. I don't think that's too much to ask.

I have the usual gripes with the skins. Although rare, sometimes I can't instantly tell what a particular class is. I have gotten Reaper and McCree mixed up a few times. A mild annoyance that I could do without.

I know there are healers but there are more heroes of other classes and I would be grateful if Blizzards first post-launch content adds a new healer hero that's more interesting to play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

They need to give people who pick tanks and support classes some sort of bonus.

All anyone wants to do is play damage dealers. (my whole group of friends included) leaving me on support the whole time as no-one else is willing to play them. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement