Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overwatch - Blizzard's latest game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Penn wrote: »
    Just saying, compared to the other defence heroes, I'd nearly be tempted to swap Junkrat and Tracer and have Tracer as defence due to how well she can hold a control point by dashing/rewinding. Never felt she or her Ult does great damage compared to the other Attack heroes either.

That's IMO improper use of her though. She should be played as a flanker, same as genji. Go flank, take out the support heroes and prevent the team from healing. Makes it much easier for the rest of the team to wipe the enemy.

The only real time she should be played to hold a control point like that is when it's contested or in overtime.

And her ult does 400 damage in one burst, most people don't know what to do with it which is the problem, they just sort of "fúck it in that general direction" and hope for the best. And ofc it lands on the ground and everyone just moves away from it and you maybe get one kill. Yeah it's not as versatile as Genji/Solider/Reaper for being able to target multiple opponents, but I'd say it's on par with Pharah or McCree, in that you need to use your brain to make it useful. Combine it with a Zarya ult and you're golden for a team wipe on the cards. Or use it to take down a Rein anchoring a point (stick it to his back) and you might get a double.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Looks awesome, but more importantly, it's free!! :)

You hear that Activision...... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

madcabbage wrote: »

You hear that Activision...... :pac:

Which Activision?

Activision Blizzard?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blizzard_Entertainment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Nody wrote: »
    A Bastion shielded by Reinhart on the payload can be a deadly combination though;

Same goes for Torbjorn too, plus you get to armour your team up as well.

Some of whats in store for season 2 from the developers.

• Rank System Changed to 1-5000, Split up between Bronze-Silver-Gold and upwards, sort of like Starcraft.
    • Full list of Rank categories as stated by many in this thread: Bronze<Silver<Gold<Platinum<Diamond<Master<Grand Master
    • Sudden Death gone, Time bank added to Hybrid and Payload maps.
    • Time bank slightly changed to make for more chances of a comeback/fair for a team that is winning hard.
    • Tightening Group Average Levels to 500 (out of 5000) in Competetive PTR
    • After Diamond and up, you will lose 50 Ranks per day if you havent played for an entire week. This effect stops when you reach the bottom of Diamond however.
    • Competetive Points multiplied by 10, You will be rewarded 5 Points for a tie. (Golden gun costs upped by the same amount.)
    • More strict rules for Top 500.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

lawlolawl wrote: »
    Highlights of my last competitive game:

-A Torbjorn who didn't build any turret. Ever.
    -A Mercy that followed my Lucio around healing me.
    -A 76 who activated his Ult in the spawn point twice

-Their team had a Pharah that stayed on the ground for the entire round.

All higher levels than me, including 2 with 2 stars on their portraits.
    Higher play-time is not the same as higher skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Cormac... wrote: »
    Which Activision?

Activision Blizzard?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blizzard_Entertainment

More a referal to the COD series, especially charing for regugitated maps. Never knew that thought! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

Higher play time does generally mean that the player should know the class basics though. At least in competitive, in quick play they could be learning and thus you could see anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

BKtje wrote: »
    Higher play time does generally mean that the player should know the class basics though. At least in competitive, in quick play they could be learning and thus you could see anything.

What I'm finding a lot in quick play is that higher ranked players are playing for fun, doing silly stuff and not really caring about the win.

It can get a bit irritating at times, but I suppose that's why competitive exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Adventagious

What I'm finding a lot in quick play is that higher ranked players are playing for fun, doing silly stuff and not really caring about the win.

It can get a bit irritating at times, but I suppose that's why competitive exists.

Definitely a bit of truth in this, but to be honest i do it as well. I've got more time as support classes than anything else, but these days in QP i'm playing a fair bit of offense just for a break.

Just healing all the time gets exhausting, especially if you're soloing as support in QP as you're less likely to get protection/coordination.

Useful to learn other characters should you need them, and Zarya is certainly gonna need some practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

It's not free; it's content you already paid for.

Just an FYI in case they ever try to micro-transaction us beyond loot-boxes in the future.

Pretty much any time I'm in quick play I'm just trolling. Not entirely, as in I'm still trying to win, but I'm having fun - not trolling like the guy who was picking symmetra and placing teleporters at the edge of a map or something. But I give a lot less ႒ucks about team composition and picking my main heroes.
    Useful to learn other characters should you need them, and Zarya is certainly gonna need some practice.

For the most part I've ended up learning new characters in the middle of ranked games, just because team comp has been so bad or the team has just been so terrible that I can't carry with my main heroes. Thankfully it now means I've a fairly large bank to choose from now that I can play quite well (McCree/Soldier/Pharah/Tracer/Roadhog/Winston/Zarya/Lucio)

I've started maining Zarya over the last week or two, the only bit of advice I can give you is don't pro-actively use her barriers. They only last for a few seconds and while the cooldowns aren't massive - I guarantee you'll wish you hadn't wasted them when you're watching a D.va ult explode in your face. They're best used when someone is actively being attacked, so wait until your teammate is already in the middle of being shot at. It will take a bit of getting used to, but it's what provides the most damage blocking capability for you and your team, and it's guaranteed to keep the charge high on your weapon. The most obvious example I can give is use your E when you see someone being hooked by roadhog. They're always going to shoot after so it's instant charge on your gun, and you've just saved your teammate. Rooms with symmetra turrets = free charge.

If you have your barriers available when ult's are being used - obviously use them but try use them wisely. If a tracer sticks a pulse bomb to someone - shielding them will save them. If a D.va ults, just go stand beside it and pop your barriers last second, you'll get 50 charge for each barrier straight away. Junkrat is easy. Reaper is another good ult you can block. McCree's ult, bit harder to get the timing right but it's very do-able. If you shield people during genji's ult, you won't save them outright because his ult is so long, but you will definitely disrupt his plans for a team wipe. You might make him waste even more using deflect mid-ult too. Oh and your barriers also block Rein's ult, and will negate the slow on Mei's ult until the barrier runs out. So if you're at the edge but freezing, you can pop it and run out.

Pharah will melt you with her ult though. Because the barrier only lasts until X damage or 2-3 seconds, and her ult is longer... even if you absorb it you're going to die most of the time, unless you're very quick about killing her.

Also, IMO it's better to avoid using her right-click most of the time. If you use the barriers correctly you'll keep high charge, and you will just melt anyone with the primary anyway, and it's way easier to aim. Bonus is her primary also goes through D.Va's shield, so you can kill her mech in no time at all.

14017799_1191532650868967_244502583_n.png?oh=549d214de9f79d799115e93d0ddc82a6&oe=57B6B700

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Also, IMO it's better to avoid using her right-click most of the time. If you use the barriers correctly you'll keep high charge, and you will just melt anyone with the primary anyway, and it's way easier to aim. Bonus is her primary also goes through D.Va's shield, so you can kill her mech in no time at all.
    However Genji can reflect both primary and alt fire modes (to my surprise).

No he can't. Genji can reflect projectiles and hitscan, it doesn't work on energy weapons. Zarya's primary fire will melt genji even if he's deflecting, I do it all the time. He can reflect her alt fire AND her ult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

That's not the case, I've often burned Genji while he's reflecting with Zarya's beam.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Links234 wrote: »
    That's not the case, I've often burned Genji while he's reflecting with Zarya's beam.
    I had a game where I'd swear he bounced both back at me :/

I had a game where I'd swear he bounced both back at me :/

Nope, definitely not the case. Genji can't deflect any channelled or beam weapons like Zarya's or Symettra's beam, or Mei's freeze.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Adventagious

I've started maining Zarya over the last week or two, the only bit of advice I can give you is don't pro-actively use her barriers. They only last for a few seconds and while the cooldowns aren't massive - I guarantee you'll wish you hadn't wasted them when you're watching a D.va ult explode in your face. They're best used when someone is actively being attacked, so wait until your teammate is already in the middle of being shot at. It will take a bit of getting used to, but it's what provides the most damage blocking capability for you and your team, and it's guaranteed to keep the charge high on your weapon. The most obvious example I can give is use your E when you see someone being hooked by roadhog. They're always going to shoot after so it's instant charge on your gun, and you've just saved your teammate. Rooms with symmetra turrets = free charge.

If you have your barriers available when ult's are being used - obviously use them but try use them wisely. If a tracer sticks a pulse bomb to someone - shielding them will save them. If a D.va ults, just go stand beside it and pop your barriers last second, you'll get 50 charge for each barrier straight away. Junkrat is easy. Reaper is another good ult you can block. McCree's ult, bit harder to get the timing right but it's very do-able. If you shield people during genji's ult, you won't save them outright because his ult is so long, but you will definitely disrupt his plans for a team wipe. You might make him waste even more using deflect mid-ult too. Oh and your barriers also block Rein's ult, and will negate the slow on Mei's ult until the barrier runs out. So if you're at the edge but freezing, you can pop it and run out.

Pharah will melt you with her ult though. Because the barrier only lasts until X damage or 2-3 seconds, and her ult is longer... even if you absorb it you're going to die most of the time, unless you're very quick about killing her.

Some good stuff in here!

Great advice overall but this last point; I think its best to use the right-click as much as possible when you are out of direct combat. You have infinite ammo. Use her grenade like you are Junkrat. Think about how annoying Junkrat's spam can be. Fire her grenade around corners and over walls preemptively. It's essentially a free shot at nothing. Having a 1% chance of hitting someone is better than 0% chance of not firing at all. Her reload is fast enough to not make this an issue.

Zarya was the first tank I got the hang of. Not sure why I don't use her so much any more. I think her skill ceiling is slightly too high for me. I'm not that good with the quick decision making of using her shields nor is my tracking that good for the primary fire. I am enjoying Winston's aimbot.

Some good stuff in here!

Agreed. I've been maining Zarya for a while now, she's overtaken Reinhardt in my most played list, and it's something great advice, especially saving people from Roadhog's hook.

It's worth noting that her barriers also clear Zenyatta's Discord Orb from yourself, and others.

I'm not that good with the quick decision making of using her shields nor is my tracking that good for the primary fire. I am enjoying Winston's aimbot.

Use the beam for larger targets, and the alt fire for squishies.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Zarya was the first tank I got the hang of. Not sure why I don't use her so much any more. I think her skill ceiling is slightly too high for me. I'm not that good with the quick decision making of using her shields nor is my tracking that good for the primary fire. I am enjoying Winston's aimbot.

The bolded bit is my main shortcoming with her. I'm much better at hitting with single shots or bursts; my tracking is very poor. Probably doesn't help that my mouse mat is a cushion I suppose.

I probably had my best performance to date with her last night though. Played a few quick plays with her and started getting to grips with when to use her shields effectively. When powered up she really melts Roadhogs!

Great advice overall but this last point; I think its best to use the right-click as much as possible when you are out of direct combat. You have infinite ammo. Use her grenade like you are Junkrat. Think about how annoying Junkrat's spam can be. Fire her grenade around corners and over walls preemptively. It's essentially a free shot at nothing. Having a 1% chance of hitting someone is better than 0% chance of not firing at all. Her reload is fast enough to not make this an issue.

It depends really. The number under the reticle is the percent increase in DPS, so at 100, both your LMB and RMB do double dps. Going by reddit - her right click damage maxed out it's 95. So at zero charge it's 47.5.... which is actually 46 damage in game. At 0 charge LMB does 75dps eating 20 ammo per second. At full charge it's 150 per second.

I don't necessarily agree with Junkrat as a viable character, but as a comparison his left-click does 120 damage for a direct hit. Zarya's right click is nowhere near as annoying or effective. What it is very good for are targets like tracer, if you aim where they're dashing to, or even fleeing low-health targets like reaper using wraith form.

If you get people grouped together then yes it's good to use, and yes you can spam right-click but I don't think it's all that useful. Small damage "pokes" like that aren't as annoying as you might think, because tiny amounts of damage are just likely to be healed over straight away by an AoE heal (lucio, S76). There's also other things to consider with that kind of spam - like random spam could be feeding charge to an enemy Zarya, and by the time you see them they'll have their barrier out of cooldown again, but have more charge than you. Hit Roadhog with a few and you're just giving him chance to use his heal, which is a very very easy way to get his ult up quickly as its cooldown is only 8s.

You need to remember that this game isn't about damage - it's about kills, more specifically impact kills. Kills put your team at an advantage, and mean the other team have to wait for respawn + travel time to regroup onto an objective.

One more Zarya tip I forgot about - keep an eye on your team composition. It might seem like a stupid thing to do to use your barriers on the other tank on your team, but most of the time it's actually where it makes the most sense. Winston + Zarya is a lethal combo and increases his durability + annoying power massively. Or if your Rein decides to charge - he's vulnerable the entire time he's moving, and he's now deep behind enemy lines + likely to be swinging his hammer, not holding shield.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,099 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Zarya Alt fire takes 25 from the magazine but can be fired with 1 in the magazine. Always handy to fire that last charge as the higher damage alt fire.

For those of you having problems tracking - what's your sensitivity set to?

Personally I'm playing at 400DPI / 15 Sens in game. Works out to 23.09cm per 360, if that helps anyone. I'll post up a few videos of me playing as Zarya when I get a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Am I right in thinking season one ends at midnight tonight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Maybe it was mentioned already, but are the changes and new map etc going to drop just in time for Season 2 or beforehand in the pre-season?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement