Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overwatch - Blizzard's latest game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

lawlolawl wrote: »
    Yeah, that first archway can be turned into an absolute murderbox by even a semi competent team on defense.

Therein lies the problem, getting one. You need a tank and healer at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Therein lies the problem, getting one. You need a tank and healer at least.

Ha.

*Races to lock in favourite Attack Hero like 4 others*

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I find Pharah is great for trying to break up those defensive chokepoints. Nothing quite like dropping a concussion grenade into the middle of their knot, sending people flying, including landing Reinhardt into the centre of your own team.
    Cormac... wrote: »
    *Races to lock in favourite Attack Hero like 4 others*

Maybe it's my SSD but I find I'm always there first - sometimes even waiting a few seconds for someone else to pick a hero.

Also, on the topic of team balance: I don't enjoy Mercy very much but I appear to be pretty good with her and will often take the hit for the sake of the win. I just want to say, for the love of God, please make an effort to show gratitude to the person whose only job is to keep you alive. In one game I had a guy complaining at me for not getting to him in time, and another most people voted for a Zenyatta who had done half as much healing :/

I know the voting doesn't do anything but it's nice to get a pat on the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Pharrah is great for breaking the first point on Eichenwalde. She can hover all the way around the right side and end up behind the whole enemy team.

• Advertisement

I'm sure its been mentioned a million times but the nod to Dark Souls on the new map is nice

Do you guys think Ana is underpowered? Out of all the heroes she's the only one I'm not anyway afraid of on the enemy team, nor do I find her particularly useful when she's got your back. Given that she has to hit you with her gun to heal I think it could do with healing a lot more per shot. I also think giving her variable zoom so she has a range advantage over Widowmaker would be an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Good Anas are relatively rare, but once you play with or against one you'd be hard pressed to call her underpowered. She's a game changer in the right hands, but requires skills (which I don't have) to make the most of imo.

As a regular Winston user, a good Ana is very frustrating. That sleep dart negates me completely. Ana just can't be killed.

Guessing she's supposed to be the high skill support. Mercy sticks in the back and holds one button to heal, Lucio bounces around and heals passively and Zenyatta can't miss with his orbs. Ana's healing is all or nothing so you must be pretty good to heal with her.

Naturally I'm shíte with her. Her "Everyone dies" voice line is particularly apt when I'm playing her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,577 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I've tried to be good with Ana as her ult on a good Reinhardt is devastating, but I just don't feel that effective as a healer. When taking a point, I've ended up just standing a bit back and spamming into a crowd hoping to either heal someone or cause a little bit of damage.

Someone once said she has the best hps. Unfortunately, my aim isn't quite good enough for that to work.
    Zillah wrote: »
    Also, on the topic of team balance: I don't enjoy Mercy very much but I appear to be pretty good with her and will often take the hit for the sake of the win. I just want to say, for the love of God, please make an effort to show gratitude to the person whose only job is to keep you alive. In one game I had a guy complaining at me for not getting to him in time, and another most people voted for a Zenyatta who had done half as much healing :/

I know the voting doesn't do anything but it's nice to get a pat on the back.

I got the full blame in a competitive game as Mercy as only healer in Anubis. Rein/bastion defense setup on the bridge and I stood safely out of the way to keep damage up. Somehow, an enemy Rein flanked us after a few seconds, wrecked me and suicide charged our rein/bastion. We never recovered. But while I was dead, the bastion kept shouting in the mic "Mercy, do something!" :confused:

There were a few things I could have done better, but getting the sole blame for that one was just confusing. I reckon some people think having a healer nearby = invincibility

Is that not just a case of a very good player doing the best that they can with a relatively bad hand? I would have thought that the number of players that can do very well with a hero is a good measure of how under or overpowered a hero is. If it's only an elite few I would think that's a sign the hero needs a bump.

Even just a few small tweaks would be nice. Make it so that she can fire a sleeping dart through her scope would be a step in the right direction.

I really like her character, and I think it's great that they have room for an older, female, Arab character in a medium where you usually see only cliché soldier types - I just wish she could mechanically be one of my favourites too.

I'll take her daughter for now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I wouldn't be taking any advice from someone playing as Bastion.

You leave your opinions at the door when you play as him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I find both Ana and Widow too difficult to use on PS4.
    Maybe on PC they'd be useful, but not with a controller.

I must have been lucky so far, aside from a game last night where we went down a man while on attack (we won anyway) I haven't come across any terrible teams.

You'll always get one guy who's no help, but the other team usually have one too so it balances out.

I've no doubt that the dynamics are massively different between PC and console. Classes that require precision aiming are going to be very difficult to play with a pad.

Widowmaker is handy enough on teams that have Torbjorn and/or Bastion, even on console. If they don't, she's pretty much useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Looking for advice on healers. I use Mercy quite a lot (my favourite healer) as I usually pair up with a Tank while offering occasional heals to DMG dealers, but some people have said Mercy is one of the weakest healers available. I think her Ultimate is invaluable when it comes to defending, however, I would like to hear the thoughts of those on the forum here as to where you would rank the healers in terms of 'best in most scenarios'.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Daz24

Picked up the game and headset. After the fun free trial weekend. Playing on PS4 Irish_Daz24 . Still haven't even played a third of the maps yet I say. So still hard knowing who suits what map best. Is there a link to any site that says which hero works best on each of the maps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Ana has quickly become my favourite healer to play, however she does need a bit of skill to use properly, and I've gotten crap for picking her over other characters, BUT! As a single target healer, she's just something else. When I play her I tend to focus on the tank most of the time, managed to out-heal the Lucio on our team. Playing Mercy, as much as I like her, you need to have a good team that'll protect you, while playing Ana I can fend for myself. Shutting down other people's ults and boosting someone else during theirs (Soldier is a favourite to boost) is terrific as well.

However, I've seen some absolutely dire Ana players who seem to give her a terrible name, they'll keep trying to score kills instead of helping out the team.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,281 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Zillah wrote: »
    I've no doubt that the dynamics are massively different between PC and console. Classes that require precision aiming are going to be very difficult to play with a pad.

Absolutely, you can really tell its a pc game first and foremost. Usually precision stuff is fine on consolecentric shooters due to the generous amounts of aim assist but in Overwatch I really find myself wishing for a kb&m.

• Advertisement

I really like when there is a Lucio around. It's great just to see your HP go up just by being near him. Perma-regen if the team stays together. Mercy is a little too hit and miss depending on the player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Daz24 wrote: »
    Picked up the game and headset. After the fun free trial weekend. Playing on PS4 Irish_Daz24 . Still haven't even played a third of the maps yet I say. So still hard knowing who suits what map best. Is there a link to any site that says which hero works best on each of the maps?

Try overwatchuniversity on reddit for tips. Has helped me . I'm just level 17 at the moment.
    My psn is liquidgoldmonkey and I have mic as well . Will add you later if I get on

BizzyC wrote: »
    I find both Ana and Widow too difficult to use on PS4.
    Maybe on PC they'd be useful, but not with a controller.

I must have been lucky so far, aside from a game last night where we went down a man while on attack (we won anyway) I haven't come across any terrible teams.

You'll always get one guy who's no help, but the other team usually have one too so it balances out.

Surely there is some form of aim assist?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Surely there is some form of aim assist?

The standard aim assist is massive on PS4, it just pulls the aim point to the target, it actually puts me off more than anything as it's not natural at all and very noticeable. Never played a game with aim assist like it since the PS2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Just did my placement games, 1 point off diamond tier! :rolleyes:

Does the game seem particularly disconnect happy?

I'm with Virgin and my connection has always been pretty solid. But I disconnect in this game more than any other by miles. I've started running ping -t tests alongside the game and most disconnects don't have any dropped packets or lag whatsoever. There isn't even any noticeable lag in the game around disconnects. It is all going smoothly and then suddenly I'm at the login screen.

Anyone else have this issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I'm with virgin and never have any issues, are you running on wireless or wired?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

Are you pinging the server? If not it could be the route your packets take which would be practically impossible to change.

No, pinging google. Just testing if my own local connection was fine.

I found a thread on the battle.net forums where people complained of the same thing; random disconnections with no prior rubberbanding despite having perfect internet connections. Apparently, turning down the graphical detail helps even if you are running at settings giving over 60fps :confused: I'll try again this evening and see if it works. From memory, I think I have it set at 4k resolution and high detail (not ultra).

• Advertisement

Symmetra is another hero I really like but think is a little underpowered. Her secondary attack needs to be at least a little faster - the balls are just so ludicrously slow as to be almost useless. Going through shields doesn't matter much when even a shielded Rheinhardt can slowly waddle to the side as it passes through. The six-person limit on the teleporter seems entirely unnecessary, and her shield boost power, while nifty, is too small to make a meaningful difference. The turrets can be nifty, but with one HP each the effort to reward ratio is absurd. Nothing like spending a few minutes setting up cunning turret positions only for them to all be instantly destroyed the second any weapon goes off within ten feet of them.

It's like they tailored her powers to be kind of cool but ultimately largely irrelevant. Her in-close damage is good enough, I think; that's the one thing about her I think is ok as it is. You can take out most characters at point-blank range if you bounce around like enough of a psycho. A little frustrating waiting for the damage to ramp up but it's an alright mechanic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement