Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overwatch - Blizzard's latest game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,577 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Symmetra is a weird one. I've been wrecked by symmetras before, but that's because the pick seems so rare that I didn't know what to do on instinct. I'd get killed by her once or twice before remembering what to avoid and then she's no longer a threat.

I've tried playing her a few times and have been rather crap. If attacking team have breached point A, then her teleporter loses a lot of its importance.

She's actually quite effective against tanks once her gun powers up. You are relying on the opposition on being bad and having terrible aim though which is never something you want to rely on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

You are relying on the opposition on being bad and having terrible aim though

Not exactly a ringing endorsement!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

What was in the 1.09 update? Feels like Roadhog has shorter range with his hook, or am I just imagining it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

I finally levelled up to 25 and got ranked at Platinum, just about to rank up to Diamond. Usually tanking as D.Va, Reinhardt, or can second with Pharah, Reaper or Ana pretty alright - If anyone is looking to play cooperatively w/mic I'm FajitasGTR on PS4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Only won 4/10 placement games. I got some proper atrocious team mates during the games. Symmetra. On attack. On console.

Also got some fantastic ones even while losing, to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,748 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Symmetra is great at defending pretty much any first point, but after that she's almost useless. If you have a good Symmetra though you'll win countless games without the opposition even capping the first point.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I play a lot of Symmettra on Defense on Hybrid/Assauly maps. She is great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,100 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Grayditch wrote: »
    Only won 4/10 placement games. I got some proper atrocious team mates during the games. Symmetra. On attack. On console.

Also got some fantastic ones even while losing, to be fair.

Symmetra is quite good on attack especially when you have a long run from spawn to defensive point, the teleport is a great asset.

Myself and two others I always play with were playing with three randomers yesterday and after a great first half where we managed to push the payload without stopping the whole way we all got party invites. Jumped in with the three randomers and went unbeaten for the rest of the evening.

On defence and attack we each played the same characters over and over, Reinhardt, Tracer, Zarya, Solider, Lucio and Zenyatta. The three randomers were great on attack and myself and the others are the Jose Mourinho of Overwatch, no one gets through :D

Added to the friends list pronto :D

Same. I've frequently kept them from capping the first point playing as Symmetra. Play super-passive until tele is up then go nuts putting disposable turrets right in their face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I've killed Roadhogs as Symmetra, probably because they didn't think I was a threat.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I've killed Roadhogs as Symmetra, probably because they didn't think I was a threat.

She's actually quiet a nuisance since her frame/hotbox is so tiny and slim. Actually hard enough to hit her despite her having average mobility.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Symmetra is quite good on attack especially when you have a long run from spawn to defensive point, the teleport is a great asset.

She used to be fine for attack on console, but now, decent on defence at best. I'm still a bit bitter about the nerf, after doing my best to master her, I only use her defending sometimes now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

fixxxer wrote: »
    What was in the 1.09 update? Feels like Roadhog has shorter range with his hook, or am I just imagining it?

Think the patch was only for a few bugs, no changes made to any of the heroes. So keep working that Hook game. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

I got some proper atrocious team mates during the games.

During one ranking match, there were two players with mic's who were obviously mates. They apologised about 45 seconds into the game, and said they didn't want a high ranking, and ran around in circles shooting randomly, and chatting about it. We got devastated.

I've been pretty much on a week-long win streak. Jumped on tonight with some of the worst teams I've played and won 1/5 games. Very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I'm stuck between 2600-2700. Win a few, lose a few. Win one, lose one. Big winning streak, big losing streak.

Jaysus. Got thrown into 2200 after losing most of my placements. Bastion on attack is a genuine strategy apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Adventagious

J. Marston wrote: »
    I'm stuck between 2600-2700. Win a few, lose a few. Win one, lose one. Big winning streak, big losing streak.

Similar experience for me - but still having a fair amount of fun.

The good buzz you get off a win really takes the sting out of some of the losses.

Had a few great games last night, one in particular with Titian and another regular where we went two nil down on Illios and were getting whupped and managed to swing it back for a 3-2 victory.
    Not even sure how we did it, one or two character changes and sheer force of will maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Jaysus. Got thrown into 2200 after losing most of my placements. Bastion on attack is a genuine strategy apparently.

I got 1950...

Similar experience for me - but still having a fair amount of fun.

The good buzz you get off a win really takes the sting out of some of the losses.

Had a few great games last night, one in particular with Titian and another regular where we went two nil down on Illios and were getting whupped and managed to swing it back for a 3-2 victory.
    Not even sure how we did it, one or two character changes and sheer force of will maybe.

John really kicked ass with Pharah once he switched to her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

Season 2 has been terrible for me so far. 4 wins 6 losses in placement. Got put in silver at 1950, have had 4 matches since and lost every one of them In such a humor this morning because of it.

Season 2 has been terrible for me so far. 4 wins 6 losses in placement. Got put in silver at 1950, have had 4 matches since and lost every one of them In such a humor this morning because of it.

Try play in groups. The more players you have in a group the less chance you have for a **** Hanzo on your team !!

What do you play on?

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Try play in groups. The more players you have in a group the less chance you have for a **** Hanzo on your team !!

What do you play on?

Oh I usually have a boards group from here. They have been tempted back to Destiny though for a few days. Prob heading back that direction myself for Rise Of Iron next week.

On PS4

• Registered Users Posts: 17,577 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Does the game seem particularly disconnect happy?
    Apparently, turning down the graphical detail helps even if you are running at settings giving over 60fps :confused: I'll try again this evening and see if it works. From memory, I think I have it set at 4k resolution and high detail (not ultra).

Turned resolution down and had ~5 games of competitive without any disconnections. Only one session to go by but it seems to have worked. Weird.

OldBean wrote: »
    During one ranking match, there were two players with mic's who were obviously mates. They apologised about 45 seconds into the game, and said they didn't want a high ranking, and ran around in circles shooting randomly, and chatting about it. We got devastated.

I've been pretty much on a week-long win streak. Jumped on tonight with some of the worst teams I've played and won 1/5 games. Very frustrating.

Thats makes no sense. Talk about a bunch of jerks.

Cormac... wrote: »
    Thats makes no sense. Talk about a bunch of jerks.

The epidemic of "not wanting to be the healer", is still rampant. I was determined to bring my Widowmaker into season 2 as I spent all quick play time last season getting her up to scratch (used to main Mercy or Reinhardt in comp season 1). Finally got her averaged scoped accuracy up to 70 odd percent for season 2.

This is pretty much what happens at character select for me now.

4 people pick decent comp (tank, off healer, dps etc), the final 2 slots is usually a stand off..

Me: Not gonna pick Mercy, Not gonna pick Mercy, Not gonna pick Mercy
    Other guy. (waits)
    Me: Not gonna pick Mercy Not gonna pick Mercy Not gonna pick Mercy
    Other guys....(waits)
    Me: Goddamit! Picks Mercy...

Le facepalm

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

The epidemic of "not wanting to be the healer", is still rampant. I was determined to bring my Widowmaker into season 2 as I spent all quick play time last season getting her up to scratch (used to main Mercy or Reinhardt in comp season 1). Finally got her averaged scoped accuracy up to 70 odd percent for season 2.

This is pretty much what happens at character select for me now.

4 people pick decent comp (tank, off healer, dps etc), the final 2 slots is usually a stand off..

Me: Not gonna pick Mercy, Not gonna pick Mercy, Not gonna pick Mercy
    Other guy. (waits)
    Me: Not gonna pick Mercy Not gonna pick Mercy Not gonna pick Mercy
    Other guys....(waits)
    Me: Goddamit! Picks Mercy...

Le facepalm

Just pick whatever it is you want to pick and if nobody else fills the healer gap you can change just before kick off. Sitting there unselected is just signalling to everyone that you'll take whatever's left.

I'm considering looking for some sort of clan type thing to be part of. The losing streak seems uncanny. I mean even if I was terrible surely I'd be carried sometimes?! The law of averages or whatever. Maybe I'm bad luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Just pick whatever it is you want to pick and if nobody else fills the healer gap you can change just before kick off. Sitting there unselected is just signalling to everyone that you'll take whatever's left.

Yeah this is weird. I go straight for Pharah before anyone else loads, and then will reluctantly go Rein or Mercy if everyone else refuses to fill the tank/healer slots.

I find Mercy really frustrating to play because if your team isn't very good all you're doing is helping idiots play in a mediocre fashion. Had a similar experience with Rheinhardt yesterday. We were on defense, but the team didn't group together, and I ended up standing at the gate on Hanamura on my own with no support and I just got steam rolled. Eventually I swapped from Rheinhardt because it's bloody pointless trying to tank without backup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Aye, Rheinhardt is amazing, but only with support. If I'm forced to tank in a team of idiots then I'll usually go for Roadhog because he can at least be somewhat self sufficient when abandoned.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement