Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overwatch - Blizzard's latest game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,100 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

This game can be either one of the best I've ever played or utterly infuriating depending on the team you get. Been all quick play for me so far (just on level 24 now) but I haven't once got a game with microphones or any communication at all. I bought a gaming headset for this game dammit!

If you haven't played competitive yet prepare to be even more frustrated :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I played this game in beta and the week upon release. Was mad about it and then for no reason whatsoever I stopped playing almost overnight.

Fastforward to a week or so back and I've taken it up and started on comp mode. Now I've been playing CSGO comp (Masterguardian 2 from Nova 2) and I thought I've managed to play with the dregs of society over here in Australia. Some of the hackiest, annoying, whingiest, uncooperative people I've ever had to deal with online UNTIL I dipped my toe into Overwatch Comp. Holy almighty f*ck it's the most toxic game I've ever played.

If someone has a mic it's usually reserved for swearing at everyone. Team chat the same. It's like trying to herd cats to try and get the team to adapt. I know you want to be genji, widowmaker,toblerone and syl on a move the payload map but maybe we should think this strategy through.... so on and so forth.

Despite all that, one of the hardest things I find about the game is that it can be very very very hard to try and carry. In CSGO if your team sucks you can often pull it back by upping your own game. It feels so difficult to make an impact on this game as an individual. It often feels easier to just give up. Oh and yeah.... leavers. 2 minutes into a game. Well played.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Anyone seen this cheap anywhere for xbox one

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Anyone seen this cheap anywhere for xbox one

How cheap is cheap? It's €45 in Argos atm

They're selling second hand copies for €60 in CEX still

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Despite all that, one of the hardest things I find about the game is that it can be very very very hard to try and carry. In CSGO if your team sucks you can often pull it back by upping your own game. It feels so difficult to make an impact on this game as an individual. It often feels easier to just give up. Oh and yeah.... leavers. 2 minutes into a game. Well played.

It's not and shouldn't be a game where you can carry.
    The reason is that everyone has distinct counters and weaknesses.
    This is why teamwork and a clever comp usually wins out in overwatch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

SeantheMan wrote: »
    It's not and shouldn't be a game where you can carry.
    The reason is that everyone has distinct counters and weaknesses.
    This is why teamwork and a clever comp usually wins out in overwatch.

Which is fine except when ppl refuse to work together you'll never win. I lost 7 games in a row I think so far. If I feel like I'm in the retard band of players I'm not sure how I can progress out. If I choose DPS of any type it feels like 8/10 times everyone else chooses dps so I switch to heals and no amount of begging gets a 2nd healer which seems to be the meta. There's often 3 tanks or even no tanks and it's SO HARD to get the team comp to change because genji loves playing as genji and can't understand that even a poor lucio is better than no lucio.

I generally get medals (often silver and usually gold) for DPS/healz, I wait for team mates. Try to push with them, make calls on the enemy etc so I don't feel like I'm an anchor on the team but I got ranked at I think around 2200 which I felt was fair as hadn't played in aggges but since the ranking matches it's just been a steady decline and I don't want to play comp as EVERYONE is so toxic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Which is fine except when ppl refuse to work together you'll never win. I lost 7 games in a row I think so far. If I feel like I'm in the retard band of players I'm not sure how I can progress out. If I choose DPS of any type it feels like 8/10 times everyone else chooses dps so I switch to heals and no amount of begging gets a 2nd healer which seems to be the meta. There's often 3 tanks or even no tanks and it's SO HARD to get the team comp to change because genji loves playing as genji and can't understand that even a poor lucio is better than no lucio.

I generally get medals (often silver and usually gold) for DPS/healz, I wait for team mates. Try to push with them, make calls on the enemy etc so I don't feel like I'm an anchor on the team but I got ranked at I think around 2200 which I felt was fair as hadn't played in aggges but since the ranking matches it's just been a steady decline and I don't want to play comp as EVERYONE is so toxic.

If you can, go on with a couple of friends and have a team within a team. That's how I get my best results now. I usually have at least one friend in my team and we work together as a unit.

Last time I played we had a Reinharte/Junkrat pairing that worked really well. Sometimes if the other players see you doing some team work they decide to join in and work around what we're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

How cheap is cheap? It's €45 in Argos atm

They're selling second hand copies for €60 in CEX still

45 in argos will do me thanks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Adventagious

That sounds rough but have to say i've had a very different experience - probably played about 100 hours and come across little to no toxicity.
    Had a few leavers in competitive like everyone else but nothing drastic.

To echo what fixxxer said, the game goes a lot more smoothly and is a lot more fun with grouped players.
    If your friends list hasn't got anyone playing check out the OW reddit for LFG and Discord chat. I've also met 5-10 nice people in the game itself by just sending a message after a game with a compliment if they played well and added to friends list.

Once you get a decent regular group going it's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

I've sort of stopped playing it, six months in. I found myself going into games and not really seeing any characters I wanted to play anymore. I don't feel it has the longevity of the truly great shooters that don't rely on the different character mechanics to keep you going, but I did have a really fun six months and maybe in the future I'll get into it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,577 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

My competitive rating is crap, but I only play solo. Try to favour 2/2/2 and always fill what is needed, but it breaks my heart when you join a game and genji/reaper/junkrat/bastion are instapicked. You just know it's gonna be a bad game.

A friend of mine started playing recently and is generally a brilliant gamer at every genre he tries. We won ~50% of our games when he started playing but since he got to grips with the mechanics, we've steamrolled 90% of QP games. He recently reached 25 and is in the middle of placement, so hopefully my W/L ratio will improve a little soon.

Is there many here on Xbox bar myself and Adventagous?

No harm in grouping up if so. I've two or three others on mist nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

It just bounces around at times, have a good day sometimes and then some days I dont :( Had a losing streak of 14 matches in Comp there at the weekend, went from 2524 to 2243.

Plus **** ya see at times:

-kept getting grouped with one player for 3 matches, only played Widow or Hanzo, no matter the map. Hanamura Offense...Widow! Nepal....Hanzo! Didnt help that he was **** either.
    -was 2 to 2 on one control map, one player switches to Tjorborn then goes on the mic "Im playing him to troll you you arent listening to me"
    -Someone says we need a 2nd Tank, so someone switches from Mercy (our only healer at the time) to Rein

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Harika

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    -Someone says we need a 2nd Tank, so someone switches from Mercy (our only healer at the time) to Rein

I love people claiming we need a second tank while playing something else and not switching.

BTW: the new cookie cutter is now 3/3 down from 2/2/2

rein/ana +2 tanks and healers as wanted. Hard to kill and Ana will use their Ulti on rein to smash through the ranks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubSjGAyklU4

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I don't get it, what's with the Quick Play and Brawl lately.
    When I did my ranks I got gold, I don't play ranked that often anymore though. Prob at 2400, so could prob reach Plat if I put the work in and got some decent team mates.

But in Quick Play and Brawl lately a lot of my team and the others have been high Diamond and Master....seems a bit OTT to me.
    I just came out of a game with someone at 3855 rating....that's nearly GrandMaster (Korea). I shouldn't be getting paired with/against this surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,577 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Had a comp game last night where we steamrolled to a 2-0 lead. A large part of this was the enemy having a Torbjorn for those two games which just gave me easy charges for my ultimate. Then their Torbjorn switched to something else and one of our tanks switched to bastion, so we ended up getting steamrolled to a 2-3 loss :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Had a comp game last night where we steamrolled to a 2-0 lead. A large part of this was the enemy having a Torbjorn for those two games which just gave me easy charges for my ultimate. Then their Torbjorn switched to something else and one of our tanks switched to bastion, so we ended up getting steamrolled to a 2-3 loss :mad:

Sounds like you & your team didn't adapt.

I've had the opposite; was losing while using Soldier 76; I just couldn't kill their tanks fast enough.

Switched to Pharah and another player switched to Roadhog; we came back for the victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Adventagious

Winston has been a godsend for in Competitive of late.

Match will start off and within 2-3 minutes it'll be clear that there's a genji/tracer/zen on the enemy team who's really crippling our progress.

Whatever i'm on i'll switch to Winston and spend the next few minutes thoroughly discouraging any squishy players from showing their faces. Get close and start frying them, when they leg it just leap after and finish them off. They tend to either be neutralised or switch to something else, hopefully too late at that point.

I've had a decent team supporting me in those matches though.

Winston has been a godsend for in Competitive of late.

Match will start off and within 2-3 minutes it'll be clear that there's a genji/tracer/zen on the enemy team who's really crippling our progress.

Whatever i'm on i'll switch to Winston and spend the next few minutes thoroughly discouraging any squishy players from showing their faces. Get close and start frying them, when they leg it just leap after and finish them off. They tend to either be neutralised or switch to something else, hopefully too late at that point.

I've had a decent team supporting me in those matches though.

Winston is fun to play especially if you have a Zen and Zarya to pop a bubble on you and a healing orb.

Jump in cause chaos, drop shield, jump out :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Oh and yeah.... leavers. 2 minutes into a game. Well played.

There seems to be a worldwide plague of internet connection problems for some bizarre reason. People from all over the world are complaining about Overwatch connectivity on the Blizzard forums, while people on the Virgin forum here are complaining about all online games being unstable. I'd dropped from a whole bunch of games thanks to connectivity issues. Thanks largely to my SSD I'm always able to relaunch and rejoin in time, but I've stopped playing competitive until it's fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Personally prefer Roadhog for the one chain one hit kill on them with the added bonus of being self healing to roam.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Halloween skins...

http://imgur.com/a/DTmqw

Not that impressed, to be honest. Mercy and Junkrat are cool, the rest are bleh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

J. Marston wrote: »
    Halloween skins...

http://imgur.com/a/DTmqw

Not that impressed, to be honest. Mercy and Junkrat are cool, the rest are bleh.

Roadhog, Soldier, and Reinhardt are pretty great.

EDIT: Can't seem to get into a game with the new brawl unfortunately. No skins in my free box.
    Hollywood looks baddass.
    Oh goody, now when I lose connection Overwatch hard crashes whenever I try to reconnect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Has anybody noticed that some of the UI doesn't fit on screen? The main HUD is fine, but stuff like Play of The Game go outside the borders of the TV for me on Ps4.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

J. Marston wrote: »
    How can you not love Roadhog? Reinheart is also ok along with Reaper (the candles on the gun looks really nice from first person).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Benzino wrote: »
    Has anybody noticed that some of the UI doesn't fit on screen? The main HUD is fine, but stuff like Play of The Game go outside the borders of the TV for me on Ps4.

Yep. It's horrible looking.

Logged on today for the first time in ages and got the Reaper Halloween skin straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Taking absolutely forever to download for me. 4gb+ taking over 3 hours. And I've a pretty snappy connection in general. No Halloween divilment tonight for me..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,748 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

The new brawl is excellent, makes me wish for more PvE missions like this in the future.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement