Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overwatch - Blizzard's latest game

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I have to say, really enjoying playing as D-Va

Tried a couple of other tanky characters but just didn't seem to gel with them, but D-Va I'm really liking a lot because I've found a great tactic is to ram the other team away from an objective, it works surprisingly well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I think the servers are down/ beta is closed now. I reckon I'll be getting it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Had a final game going up against a team with the lowest level being 48; highest 62... I only got 12 in the beta (did not play for hours at end) but 62?!

It doesn't carry over, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

bought it there. great game. so much depth and longevity to it. will there be a ranking type system? a bit of progression would be nice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Grayditch wrote: »
    It doesn't carry over, right?

Nope, all reset on 24th May.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Had 2 final games on the beta and 1 was easily me best game so far, got 33 eliminations and 3 deaths. Hopefully that'll continue onto the full game.

Once I starting playing this game, there was never any doubt I was buying it.

No zoom. No sprint. No progression. No upgrades. No killstreaks.

I love it. Day one job for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

froog wrote: »
    bought it there. great game. so much depth and longevity to it. will there be a ranking type system? a bit of progression would be nice.

Can you explain the depth the game has ?

It just seems to be completely Arcadey-Quick match type games to me.

The fact that you can't choose your gametype, map, server, amount of players, time limit, class limits etc is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

SeantheMan wrote: »
    The fact that you can't choose your gametype, map, server, amount of players, time limit, class limits etc is ridiculous.

I'm not arguing against you but that's actually one of the reasons I like the game. I'm able to just log on and play a match. The matches are generally so quick that I never feel like a map has overstayed it's welcome.

All for more choice though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

tok9 wrote: »
    I'm not arguing against you but that's actually one of the reasons I like the game. I'm able to just log on and play a match. The matches are generally so quick that I never feel like a map has overstayed it's welcome.

All for more choice though.

I think that's a great thing about the game and option too, but most games list that under a 'Quick play' or 'Quick match' option.
    It shouldn't be the default for the game, we should be able to choose, especially for a full price AAA game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I think that's a great thing about the game and option too, but most games list that under a 'Quick play' or 'Quick match' option.
    It shouldn't be the default for the game, we should be able to choose, especially for a full price AAA game.

I prefer this enforced version otherwise you just have a sea of servers playing one map 24 freakin 7.

Completely agree. I'm gonna wait, the game feels less console-y at the moment. Proper matchmaking, dedicated custom servers and a server browser would be nice. I can appreciate it just came out of beta.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

consoley? its an arena shooter did you expect ultra realism like red orchestra,arma or insurgency? :)

The depth comes from constantly switching heroes depending on what the other team is up to [this point seems lost to the majority of pug players in the open beta], add to that the synergy between the ultimates of 2,3 or even 4 heroes when timed correctly is a sight to behold and can turn the tide of a game dramatically.

Ofcourse its not a vastly deep game by any means but it can actually be pretty tactical with good players.

Battleborn offers up similar gameplay but is a deeper experience with character builds and gear acquisition etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

From a public aspect im kind of glad the way it is, otherwise most servers will just run like most other games, the same 2-3 maps being played repeat on all (dust2, office anybody?)

And im sure they will have the competitive aspect down come launch or soon after.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think there's going to be ranked playlists after launch too.

Dcully wrote: »
    consoley? its an arena shooter did you expect ultra realism like red orchestra,arma or insurgency? :)

The depth comes from constantly switching heroes depending on what the other team is up to [this point seems lost to the majority of pug players in the open beta], add to that the synergy between the ultimates of 2,3 or even 4 heroes when timed correctly is a sight to behold and can turn the tide of a game dramatically.

Ofcourse its not a vastly deep game by any means but it can actually be pretty tactical with good players.

Battleborn offers up similar gameplay but is a deeper experience with character builds and gear acquisition etc.

Nah I meant consoley in terms of its "plug and play" nature. I want more options other than quick play. Sure its just out of the beta. Hopefully more customisation will be added.

This is probably the first PVP game in a long time where I can say I actually thoroughly enjoyed it. Which is pretty surprising, as I don't normally enjoy multiplayer games bar a few co-op ones. Very, very tempted to buy it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Grayditch wrote: »
    No zoom. No sprint. No progression. No upgrades. No killstreaks.

I love it. Day one job for me.

Haha that was my feeling too, it is gorgeoulsly old school.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I really enjoyed the beta too, dont think it warrants the full price but no doubt you get it fairly quick 2nd hand for 40 euro or so. Deffo pick it up then......BAH HUMBUG!!!

• Advertisement

100% buying it, havent enjoyed a multiplayer shooter this much in a long time.

Its €59 for the origins edition [extra skins] and €39 for the normal edition direct from battle.net.
    You can get the same origins edition for same price as normal edition on the cd key sites.

I believe its €65 or so on consoles?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Yea, it's the first time in a very long time that I can say I thoroughly enjoyed a 100% PvP experience. I didn't feel cheated by any kills (which isn't the same as saying I never got mad about being killed). Some of the Ults you think "that's way OP!" at first and then you realise it's supposed to be way OP, it's the most powerful thing this player does! Even 2 players combining their ultimate attacks can and should get you a Team Kill if you're even slightly organised.

Sure, there are always going to be cheap, lame dickheads with no skill or no desire to be anything other than a fkwit to other people, that's the nature of fkwits, they have no friends or life. Until we can ban individual MAC addresses from the internet, that'll never change :P I know we'll see a lot more of these sorts (the €40 barrier to entry might keep them away).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Dcully wrote: »
    100% buying it, havent enjoyed a multiplayer shooter this much in a long time.

Its €59 for the origins edition [extra skins] and €39 for the normal edition direct from battle.net.
    You can get the same origins edition for same price as normal edition on the cd key sites.

I believe its €65 or so on consoles?

Console editions can be picked up for about E46 from the Game Collection, E50 with Parcel Motel and you will get it a couple of days before launch as well.

I seriously enjoyed just how amazing things can get when people work as a team, I've had games where everyone was just running around trying to shoot everything, and then I've had games where the team really worked together. I paired up with an incredible healer last night, while I was tanking as D-Va, and we absolutely massacred the other team. It was really something else.

And perhaps more importantly, there didn't seem to be many assholes at all. No matter how good a multiplayer game can be, toxic communities will ruin it, and that just doesn't seem to be the case here. Hopefully it stays that way. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

i mean deep in the core game itself. with 21 heroes and the ability to change at will, the possible combinations and strategies are endless. we'll see a constantly evolving "meta" in a similar way to dota 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Like how you can change hero without dying or suiciding.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Varik wrote: »
    Like how you can change hero without dying or suiciding.
    Go to the spawn room and press H.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Links234 wrote: »
    And perhaps more importantly, there didn't seem to be many assholes at all. No matter how good a multiplayer game can be, toxic communities will ruin it, and that just doesn't seem to be the case here. Hopefully it stays that way. :)

I actually shocked by the fact I didnt encounter a single toxic player at all over the weekend. I doubt that will last beyond release but hopefully it'll be at a minimum.

Xenji wrote: »
    Console editions can be picked up for about E46 from the Game Collection, E50 with Parcel Motel and you will get it a couple of days before launch as well.

With no servers live :)

• Advertisement

I actually shocked by the fact I didnt encounter a single toxic player at all over the weekend. I doubt that will last beyond release but hopefully it'll be at a minimum.

I got called gay in the chat once, and that was it. Remarkably tame compared to other games. I do hope it stays like this, a multiplayer game without a toxic community can be rare enough.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement