Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overwatch - Blizzard's latest game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Adventagious

Yeah, i spent a few minutes browsing and it's just appalling idiocy. Hopefully the community moves on shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Imagine caring either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Grayditch wrote: »
    Imagine caring either way.

It's nice to see gay characters existing in media rather than being ignored or presented as horrible stereotypes. It can be exhausting when that is all you ever see. It's hard to understand if you're not some under represented minority, but it's really nice to see a positive portrayal of a gay character without it being a gimmick or stereotype.

If you're not one of those minorities it's easy to sit back and say you don't care. Of course you don't care, you're not the one who never sees yourself reflected in popular media; if you're a straight man you get all the best gigs, every action hero, every president and king and superhero. I usually get the comic relief.

I get that in a story driven game it would matter to consider a broader spectrum, but I don't understand why sexuality has to be represented in any form in a multiplayer shooter, but I'm not interested in the the wedged in backstories so, I don't really care like.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Her arse was one of the bigger gaming news of stories of 2016 so I suppose her sexuality was going to cause a stir too.

• Advertisement

Soldier 76 has a son from a previous marriage. This revalation will not require an update.

I actually think Blizzard would make a cracking animated series, where this would really matter to the story. I just think they're some crowd for stretching the background stuff for this game to rattle the cage. And they're good at it. Marketing masters and I'm just pretty cynical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

J. Marston wrote: »
    Her arse was one of the bigger gaming news of stories of 2016 so I suppose her sexuality was going to cause a stir too.

Pffft, we all know Widowmaker has the best arse.
    I hate that this is a thing in videogames now

• Registered Users Posts: 19,748 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I'm just waiting for them to release an extremely stereotypical Irish hero and then I'll never have to play anyone else again.

lawlolawl wrote: »
    Pffft, we all know Widowmaker has the best arse.
    I hate that this is a thing in videogames now

Don't be weird.

Mei all day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Developer update; recap of 2016 and what's to come in 2017

https://youtu.be/mxlhFslsbu0

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'm just waiting for them to release an extremely stereotypical Irish hero and then I'll never have to play anyone else again.

Oh God no. Imagine the awful Oirish accent they'd use - Tracer's cock-er-nee effort is bad enough.

I think the "tease" regarding a LGBT character in OW wasn't the greatest move by Blizzard, but representation matters. A lot. Some decent articles about the comic on Kotaku (i know many aren't a fan but the article is worth reading) and Waypoint if you want a take from another perspective.

Also i would kinda love an Irish hero, even with a fair it of twinkly eyed stereotyping. Just get the accent right for the love of god, a bad irish accent is just tough to listen to as a native. Who was that Irish character in Fallout 4? I had to remove her from the story ASAP her voice was so atrocious.

Atlas from Bioshock probably has the most genuine Irish accent in a game.

That was pretty good actually yeah, strong without being a parody.

The narrator in Forza Horizon 3 is Irish (pretty sure) and the accent is very easy to listen to. It was such a nice surprise when you first start the game and it gives you a couple of hundred built in names that it has programmed to pronounce to choose from.

It had my surname, which isn't that common even in Ireland, and being referred to by my actual surname in an Irish accent throughout the game was novel in a really fun way.

Jaunty from Shadowman has got to be. You'd swear it was Dustin The Turkey.

https://youtu.be/B560lCn5kGU

Gilligan from Dark Souls 2, the ladder guy. Proper wesht accent on him.

WLLDLLWWWL in my placements. The draw was intense.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Really? Because his awful accent is one of the reasons I couldn't get more than an hour into that game.

Speaking of Irish Overwatch characters, there's actually a thread on the Overwatch subreddit's front page today about one.

To say it's cringey would be an understatement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

But it did give us this gem :P

LYwi2lb.jpg

Read through that thread on the subreddit there, so we're just seen as an even bigger group of mouths to everyone else thanks to McGregor it seems :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

It's painful seeing Irish redditors being complicit in the horrible stereotyping. "LOL YEAH I'M IRISH AND THAT'S PRETTY ACCURATE"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

So.. I'm playing like sh!te.

Started the night by going 2-0 in control but losing 2-3 mainly due to a Symmetra.

Finished the night on a 5/6 game losing streak. I'm now on Silver 1589.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

12 Christmas loot boxes one Christmas skin for Roadhog. I wanted the Pharah one. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,100 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

12 Christmas loot boxes one Christmas skin for Roadhog. I wanted the Pharah one. :(

The Pharah one is cheap enough to buy.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    The Pharah one is cheap enough to buy.
    Yeah probably, I'll just have to hope I can still get it after Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Yeah probably, I'll just have to hope I can still get it after Christmas.

Winter Event lasts until 2. January.

Woohoo!

• Advertisement

Competitive is a bit of a bore. Same comps every game. Lucio/Ana dominate almost every aspect of the game.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement