Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comrades.. what's the worst that can happen?

Options
  • 07-11-2014 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭

So here goes, attempt number 2 at keeping a running log! I really have to be more disciplined at this due to having 2 big targets in 2015, namely Comrades in May 2015 and then in September a BQ time at the Erie marathon.

What's my starting point, well I just did 3:18 in Berlin and had it not been for 3 bathroom stops in the final 5K I wouldn't have been far off my BQ time so I'm confident this goal of sub 3:10 is pretty realistic.

Comrades now is a huge thing, personally I wouldn't have aimed for 2015 but 2016 with a sub 3 marathon being my 2015 goal, alas my much better half just completed all the majors in Berlin so she now has to have a goal, like a typical male I wasn't really paying attention when we were discussing Comrades but apparently I gave the green light so before I knew anything she was posting on Facebook how she had just registered and that was pretty much it for me too!

Well that's it really, now time to train.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

So this evening was a gym workout night, I've never been one for anything that isn't just running. However this new me has decided I'm going to incorporate plenty of core strength work.

Warm up 5k - 25 minutes
    45 minutes of all manner of sit ups, push ups, medicine ball, leg raises etc..... truly I hate this stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Best of luck with the training, Comrades is an amazing event! I've been for the last two years and am accompanying a friend there again next year. If there's anything you need to know about the set up fire me a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Good man Peter, one to bookmark.
    Good luck on the journey to Comrades and a BQ.

Cheers guys for the welcome.

Saturday - no running but a nice 45K cycle

Sunday - 5K warm-up on the treadmill followed by 2 circuits:

30 seconds front plank transition straight to right and left and hold each for 30 seconds.
    30 Russian twists with 10lb medicine ball.
    15 calf raises with two 12 pound dumbells.
    15 back raises.
    15 sit ups
    15 push ups

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

• Advertisement

Cheers Opus, it's really appreciated! I'm currently talking with my Coach about whether I should go for a sub 9, he fears I won't recover in time to get my BQ 3 months later. BQ probably is number one goal so I'll see how the training for Comrades goes and if it's a Bronze time then so what.

Monday - 1 hour of squash, there was a hot yoga session in the court beforehand and those women turned the air con to full heat.... that was one serious squash match (have to admit I'm loving squash as a workout)

Tuesday - 10K followed by some crazy sit-up and push-up workout her goodself downloaded! it truly kicked my ass.

Wednesday - 13K Avg pace 5:06/km - The first few speckles of snow this winter decided to fall as I was out running, it's going to be a cold one this winter if we are getting snow already which means tough training conditions. Well if it worked for Rocky in Rocky V then clearly it should work for me.

Advertisement