Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engagement Ring Purchased in Turkey

Options
  • 07-11-2014 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

While celebrating our engagement in Turkey myself, my fiancee & my parents went to a jewellers to look at engagement rings. My folks had been to the jewellers before and said they came highly recommended. After showing us many rings that weren't to our taste they advised that they could make us a ring in whatever way we wanted. So my fiancee told them her dream ring and within a few days (and after a slight amendment to the first ring made for her) we purchased the ring and came home happy.

That was until we got the ring valued here in Dublin whereby we were told that the colour of the diamond was of very low standard and the price we paid was well over what we should have. As my folks travel to the same place in Turkey regularly they brought the ring back advising that we be provided with the diamond fitting the price we paid. The jeweller (same store but different seller to the one we purchased from) confirmed us to be correct and insisted he would have a better quality diamond ready for us within a couple of days.

When my folks went back after a couple of days they were advised that the jeweller was unable to contact the original seller of the ring as it was up to him to have the new diamond put in. As such he advised if we wished to have an upgrade to the ring it would cost at least €1000 extra!!! As we were ripped off initially we had no intention of paying any extra.

Does anybody know what rights we have here if any?

Foolish to purchase such expensive item in a relatively unknown country to me but looks like I could be paying for it now.

Any genuine advice to help us get a positive outcome would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

You purchased in person while outside the EU so you have no protection under Irish/EU law. You'll have to check what rights you have under Turkey's laws. Assuming you declared the importation of the ring to Customs on arrival back in Ireland it might be worth contacting Revenue to see if you can get a rebate on your import duty/VAT since the true value would probably be significantly less than the declared value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭rock22

The mark up on jewelry, especially wedding related, is often quite high. If you bought a ring in Ireland and then had it valued you would also see a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

rock22 wrote: »
    The mark up on jewelry, especially wedding related, is often quite high. If you bought a ring in Ireland and then had it valued you would also see a difference.

If you bought it in Ireland the valuation would be what you paid for it since the place you buy it from also does the valuation.

And how a Wedding Band or Engagement ring could be non wedding related is beyond me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

rock22 wrote: »

A valuation is for the cost of replacing the piece of jewellery with a piece of the same type and quality. Generally pieces bought in Ireland will be of a similar or higher value than the purchase price. However, there are some jewellers who purposefully value competitors items low in order to make themselves look better.

OP; this has happened to a few of our customers who have purchased in Turkey, made worse by the cost of legally importing the item. Several of them have gone through the Turkish consulate in order to get the situation sorted out, although not all have been successful. As said by a poster earlier you are not covered by Irish or EU law, only Turkish law.

Advertisement