Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Jack Russel

• 07-11-2014 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi,

I just got a little Jack Russel. He is great and settling in amazingly.

I have read that they are very active dogs but when he is at home he just sits on my lap and sleeps and is very chilled out.

Ive never had such a small dog before so I'm wondering if I could be over exercising him. He loves to play fetch and there is always someone willing to playing with him, so he must get played with for 20 mins at least a day (usually more). In addition he gets a few ten minute walks. And then usually he gets taken out to run along side the bike for about 20 minutes. He sometimes gets taken out on all day hikes too.

He has such tiny legs I'm worried about making him too tired. Today he only had a ten minute walk cycle because he had 2 really big days before. At the end of the day he always looks wrecked!

I like to bring him everywhere with me but i think it might be too much for him.

Can anyone offer some advice on this

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

How old is he? Where did you get him from? If he hasn't been getting much exercise before going to live with you, he could be very unfit. Terriers usually would have good energy levels.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

For a jrt that's really not too much at all - the young ones especially are bursting with more energy than a lot of bigger dogs. They were bred to work, so I wouldn't worry about it!

He's probably just not used to exercise yet. What you're doing is perfect - a few 10-20 min outings per day, gradually bringing it up to longer.

Enjoy your new dog! Jackie's are amazing pets :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

If he's only a puppy it's far too much exercise for him. But if he's an adult it should be ok. But maybe if that dog looks tired it might be an idea to cut back a little on the exercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

Jacks in general are incredibly active dogs, they really are a big dog in a small body. I have 2 currently, one who is extremely successful in agility and another who, in-spite of a pretty severe back issue, thinks he is a kangaroo and my curtains are his tuggy toys. My guys will keep going all day and then crash at night and look dead, the next day they are ready to go again, I have never managed to wear them out for longer than an overnight but my pair would be very fit :)

It may be that your guy just needs to build up some stamina as in my experience the life you are providing sounds ideal

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

I agree with other posters...presuming the dog is fully grown then the amount of exercise you do is great! I have a Border Terrier/ JRT cross and she's wild. I bring my dogs out (I also have a border collie) for three walks a day. Once for a 10 min walk in the morning before I go to work, my boyfriend brings them for another walk in the afternoon for 45 mins and I bring them again in the evening for 45 mins. On the last walk of the day, I will always bring the ball with me. And would usually spend 30 out of those 45 mins throwing the ball and really get them exercised. I then let her wind down and have a sniff for the last 15 mins of the walk.

This has proved very effective to me. They are not wild in the house, don't misbehave, are not bored or destructive and when we get in from the walk, they curl up in their beds and that is them out for the night. Two happy doggys! :)

You will love having a JRT....they have such personalities! Everyone who meets my terrier falls in love immediately!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Congratulations on being owned by a Jack Russell. Best dogs in the world ( I am of course totally biased, being a human slave to one:D)

Jacks love their walks and being stubborn little doggies if they don't want to walk anymore - they wont......

Provided your dog is an adult dog I see no problems with long walks.

Advertisement