Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men claiming to be docs collecting for ebola, door to door

Options
  • 07-11-2014 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

Haven't a clue if it's a scam
    My guess is yes

2 men, calling door to door around castlebar and villages claiming to be collecting money to send medical supplies to help fight against ebola

Neighbour signed a DD.
    The men were in a small van, red i think.
    I've heard they have called to several houses in the ballyvary to castlebar route.

Latest i heard is that one was even wearing a white coat,

Any info on this?

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

P_Cash wrote: »
    Neighbour signed a DD.

It's not that easy to get set up as a DD originator. The DD form needs to follow a very specific template, and must have the legal registered name and address of the originator (whoever the money's going to) and an originator ID (six-digit number) among other things.

If these details are on the form, your neighbour can contact the originator and ask them if it's legit. If not, it's likely a scam, and your neighbour should contact their bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭P_Cash

oscarBravo wrote: »
    It's not that easy to get set up as a DD originator. The DD form needs to follow a very specific template, and must have the legal registered name and address of the originator (whoever the money's going to) and an originator ID (six-digit number) among other things.

If these details are on the form, your neighbour can contact the originator and ask them if it's legit. If not, it's likely a scam, and your neighbour should contact their bank.

Yes, i think they have.
    I hope people are wise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

I did see a job advertised for door to door collectors for MSF so it just might be legit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

Rule no 1
    Don't ever buy anything or sign up to anything on your doorstep no matter how good it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Might not be a scam but why chance it. If you want to give, give to a recognised charity.

• Advertisement
Advertisement