Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dart

Options
  • 07-11-2014 10:52pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone is developing with Dart? I've just downloaded the IDE and started playing around with it. I can't say if I like it or not yet, but I'd like to get to grips with it.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Looks like an interesting language with the ability to develop CLI apps, apps for chrome or even web apps. Might stick with it, once I get to grips with JS, HTML and CSS. Any body develop with Dart yet?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well I looked into Dart, Typescript and CoffeeScript a while back and I kept CoffeeScript. If fact I've more or less replaced all my JS efforts with it!

Dart is interesting and I'd love to go with it, but in the real world it has to be compiled down to JavaScript to run in browsers and trying to interface with JS widgets etc.... is not easy to say the least.

Typescript looks interesting, but my main issue was interacting with JS libs and widgets - you need interface definitions in almost all cases and trying to understand and debug some of the final output was challenging...

In the end I went with CoffeeScript, it does not need anything special to interface with the rest of the JS world and at the same time it givens you an easy way to define classes, handle scope and so on. And at least for me the JS it outputs is much easier to understand and debug

Advertisement