Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rainwater for plants

• 07-11-2014 10:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

I am going to install a water butt to gather water for my plants, but I have heard that it may not be good for them. Is there any truth in that?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Safehands wrote: »
    I am going to install a water butt to gather water for my plants, but I have heard that it may not be good for them. Is there any truth in that?

I would of thought the opposite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭macraignil

Overwatering can be bad for some plants. I have read that if plants are kept with too much water it can encourage fungal diseases particularly in plants grown in containers. Also you can drown plants if you do not allow water to drain from the roots and only some like rice have adapted to having their roots fully submerged. The roots usually need some air as well as water.

Rain water is the purest water available and so is said to be better than tap water that is usually treated with chemicals to kill microbes that could cause human disease. Rain may be acidified by sulfur and other air polutants and some places have had plants damaged by this increased acidity. Ireland is not known to be too adversely effected by this as our prevailing winds drive much of the industry and thermal power plant produced poluted air to the east and much of our soil has a good calcium content from limestone that counter acts acidification. To make this factor more complicated some plants like blueberries prefer acidic soil conditions.

Plants from arid desert conditions like cactus need less water to survive and are more susceptible to overwatering than others. Watering in full sun is also said to potentially cause damage to leaves and watering in the evening or directly to the plant roots is said to be better. Since tap water is simply rain water with some chemicals added to kill bacteria what would you use as an alternative?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Err, what do you think plants have lived on for the last billion or so years?

z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

?

Polluted water probably isn't the best for plants but seeing as how water with dishwashing liquid in it doesn't adversely affect plants, I guarantee a bit of stagnant water won't poison the soil or kill the plants.

(adding charcoal to the butt - in a sack/onion bag - will keep the water fresher for longer)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Safehands

zagmund wrote: »
    Err, what do you think plants have lived on for the last billion or so years?

Yes but this water has come down from a mossy concrete roof. It isn't exactly fresh drinking water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Merrion

The absence of chlorine, fluoride and lead will probably do your plants a power of good. I've had one of these for 3 years and have not noticed any adverse effect.

Advertisement