Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emmigration questions-advice needed re settlement funds

Options
  • 07-11-2014 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi everyone!

I'm looking for advice from anyone who has emmigrated to Australia and been successful in getting a Skilled Independent Subclass 189 visa or the temporary skilled 457, or anyone that knows anything about the whole process!

My agency is confident that I should get a visa under my chosen occupation from the SOL, however they say that as a couple we will be required to have proof of a settlement fund of AUD$35,000 in liquid or physical assets to be eligible for a visa. I wasn't aware of this before now. We have our hearts set on Perth and apparently the rules are stringent in WA. Can anyone tell me how accurate this is? Has anyone had to go through the same process that can give me some info on how it all works?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

S31 wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

I'm looking for advice from anyone who has emmigrated to Australia and been successful in getting a Skilled Independent Subclass 189 visa or the temporary skilled 457, or anyone that knows anything about the whole process!

My agency is confident that I should get a visa under my chosen occupation from the SOL, however they say that as a couple we will be required to have proof of a settlement fund of AUD$35,000 in liquid or physical assets to be eligible for a visa. I wasn't aware of this before now. We have our hearts set on Perth and apparently the rules are stringent in WA. Can anyone tell me how accurate this is? Has anyone had to go through the same process that can give me some info on how it all works?

Thanks in advance!

I think you misunderstood or they didn't explain it properly.

That would be for State sponsored 190 visa you need to meet certain requirements set by some of the states before they give state sponsorship.

189 visa is independent and has no restrictions, 457 is only a temporary employer visa (it's not a migration visa)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭S31

thanks for clearing that up for me, I don't think they are explaining things too well!

Cheers!

Sounds like it's a 190 sponsored visa they are talking about, to qualify for a 189 you need to have an occupation on the SOL. What occupation are you talking about?

Its Insurance Broker 222113, its on the CSOL, do you know whether that makes any difference to the type of visa I can apply for?

Its Insurance Broker 222113, its on the CSOL, do you know whether that makes any difference to the type of visa I can apply for?

To apply for a 189 it has to be on the SOL, if the occupation is only on CSOL (Consolidated Sponsored Occupations List) then its unsuitable for a 189 and only suitable for one of visas that require either state sponsorship or employer sponsorship.

Employer sponsorship would be 457, 186 and state sponsorship is subclass 190 which means you need State Sponsrship through one of the States Migration Plan.

That's why your agent recommended having funds, as that is a requirement of some states.

• Advertisement

I see, I wish they would make these things clearer! Have you any ideas how difficult it is to get state sponsorship? I'm starting to wonder if it'll ever happen for me, so many obstacles to overcome! I never thought it would be a breeze but I'm afraid to get my hopes up now

I see, I wish they would make these things clearer! Have you any ideas how difficult it is to get state sponsorship? I'm starting to wonder if it'll ever happen for me, so many obstacles to overcome! I never thought it would be a breeze but I'm afraid to get my hopes up now

• Advertisement

mandrake04 wrote: »
    To apply for a 189 it has to be on the SOL, if the occupation is only on CSOL (Consolidated Sponsored Occupations List) then its unsuitable for a 189 and only suitable for one of visas that require either state sponsorship or employer sponsorship.

Employer sponsorship would be 457, 186 and state sponsorship is subclass 190 which means you need State Sponsrship through one of the States Migration Plan.

That's why your agent recommended having funds, as that is a requirement of some states.

Apologies for the number of posts- my internet connection was acting up, I dont know how that happened!

Since you mentioned Perth you can read about it here

http://www.migration.wa.gov.au/services/skilled-migration-wa/occupations-in-demand

http://www.migration.wa.gov.au/SiteCollectionDocuments/2013-14%20State%20nomination%20criteria.pdf

Your occupation is on Schedule 2 of WA migration so you need to have at least a 12 month contract of employment is similar occupation from an employer in WA to obtain State Sponsorship.

So basically I need to secure a 12 month contract from an employer pending approval of the visa, boy that sounds like a challenge to do that from outside of Australia! feeling defeated already

The whole process depends on the demands of skills and occupations, the Dept of Immigration and states shape and control this by setting these hurdles.

You could try some of the other states to see if they have Insurance Broker on their list.

I think South Australia has but I think they require a settlement fund of $20K-$30K.

Other states like NSW only offer 1000 places maybe twice a year, the last intake opened on 22 October and all places gone in a few days.

Worst case option is a 457 which requires a job offer and employer sponsorship.

thanks for that info- slightly away from my original question, do you have any idea how strict the requirement for a Statement of Service is in applying for a visa? I'm having difficulty obtaining one from a former employer- why I do not know but unfortunately there is no statutory requirement on the company to provide me with one, so I'm not sure that theres anything I can do about it. If I cannot submit a Statement of Service with my application will it cause major problems?
    Sorry for picking your brain again its just that you have been so helpful and seem to know what youre talking about!
    Thanks!

thanks for that info- slightly away from my original question, do you have any idea how strict the requirement for a Statement of Service is in applying for a visa? I'm having difficulty obtaining one from a former employer- why I do not know but unfortunately there is no statutory requirement on the company to provide me with one, so I'm not sure that theres anything I can do about it. If I cannot submit a Statement of Service with my application will it cause major problems?
    Sorry for picking your brain again its just that you have been so helpful and seem to know what youre talking about!
    Thanks!

You can provide them with pay slips and P60s of your duration there plus a self Statutory Decleration of your duties, if the employer is still in business either the assessing bodies and immigration might contact them to confirm you worked there and more importantly in what capacity.

They are fairly strict on information they receive as they view the integrity of such information same as the integrity of the applicant.

Advertisement