Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Sea Fishing Reports 2014/2015

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

I fished an east cork beach last night and it was quiet. Blanking after 4 hours till the whiting came in. Ended up with 6 whiting, all about 30/32cms and a codling about 40cms.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭realrebel

.red. wrote: »
    I fished an east cork beach last night and it was quiet. Blanking after 4 hours till the whiting came in. Ended up with 6 whiting, all about 30/32cms and a codling about 40cms.

Was in the wall in monkstown last night we had 6 codling to 3lbs most were between 2-2.5lbs, first time I really tried it at night on the wall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭con___manx1

what bait were you using ?

what bait were you using ?

Sandeel.and crab. Ray were the target!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭squidly

fished ballycotton pier this evening using mack,frozen peeler and frozen lug.
    fished between 4:30-8:00,high tide was about 5:45 or so i think.
    took home 2 codling under the 2lb mark and two herring i got on mackeral feathers.
    plenty of activity with a lot of small fish about,and plenty of dogfish being a nuisance.
    not a bad evening overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 kaiser5

Hi, can i ask, if you happen to know about some good shore spot in Galway or Clare county for codling, pollocks or whiting?

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

Anyone been to monkstown lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

It was fishing well up to Christmas week afaik. I haven't heard since.

Youghal is fishing its socks off. Well worth the journey down. Size and numbers down there.

Youghal is fishing its socks off. Well worth the journey down. Size and numbers down there.

Was in youghal twice in the last few days
    First day there was hardly anywhere to fish as there were loads of anglers fishing
    Even the bridge had about 15 anglers on it, we ended up at a spot and set up and straight away one of the lads were into a cod about 2.5lbs they keep coming after that all good codling up to 4lbs I also had a bass the smallest one I've ever seen lol
    Then it went quiet coming up to high tide so I said I try for flounder
    We set up 2 rod sand straight away we had to flounder and big ones too 3lbs we reckon, another of the lads came over and said they were speciman size so he set up too, we had another 5 flounder in the space of 30 mins then we ran out of bait lol
    Yesterday we were down again and it was some days fishing we went to the same spot where we were fishing for the cod the last day, in the first 10 mins we had 4 codling again about 2.5lbs
    Myself and the buddy said we would try the spot where we got the flounder but this time for cod by god were we in for a surprise lol
    Cod after cod came on both out rods while out other 2 buddies fishing about 70ft away were only getting the odd one
    We ended up with over 50 codling between two of us in that spot most ranging from 3lbs to 4.5lbs
    The size of the fish were fantastic while we were leaving a man who lives right next to is said he never seen anyone catch a cod there and he's been there over 60 years lol
    Can't wait to get down again lol

• Advertisement

realrebel wrote: »
    Was in youghal twice in the last few days
    First day there was hardly anywhere to fish as there were loads of anglers fishing
    Even the bridge had about 15 anglers on it, we ended up at a spot and set up and straight away one of the lads were into a cod about 2.5lbs they keep coming after that all good codling up to 4lbs I also had a bass the smallest one I've ever seen lol
    Then it went quiet coming up to high tide so I said I try for flounder
    We set up 2 rod sand straight away we had to flounder and big ones too 3lbs we reckon, another of the lads came over and said they were speciman size so he set up too, we had another 5 flounder in the space of 30 mins then we ran out of bait lol
    Yesterday we were down again and it was some days fishing we went to the same spot where we were fishing for the cod the last day, in the first 10 mins we had 4 codling again about 2.5lbs
    Myself and the buddy said we would try the spot where we got the flounder but this time for cod by god were we in for a surprise lol
    Cod after cod came on both out rods while out other 2 buddies fishing about 70ft away were only getting the odd one
    We ended up with over 50 codling between two of us in that spot most ranging from 3lbs to 4.5lbs
    The size of the fish were fantastic while we were leaving a man who lives right next to is said he never seen anyone catch a cod there and he's been there over 60 years lol
    Can't wait to get down again lol

Days like that dont come along often, fair play to ye.It must have been good fun.What baits were ye using?

Days like that dont come along often, fair play to ye.It must have been good fun.What baits were ye using?

Ya it was great but all my mates and their friends have been getting huge numbers every session up to 6lbs
    Everyone is saying the place is full of them
    We were using live peeler crab for everything

realrebel wrote: »
    Ya it was great but all my mates and their friends have been getting huge numbers every session up to 6lbs
    Everyone is saying the place is full of them
    We were using live peeler crab for everything

I only ever fished youghal once last year on the waterford side of the bridge and wasnt very successful....Where would be a good couple of spots to try?

I only ever fished youghal once last year on the waterford side of the bridge and wasnt very successful....Where would be a good couple of spots to try?

Where exactly did u try?
    Anywhere really works even off the new bridge u will get loads of fish
    Pm me for more spots ifi want

I hit deep water quay in cobh last night for a few hours either side of low water. Fishing was hectic at the start. All whiting, mostly small but had them upto 38cms. Around 10 the fishing just died. Not a tap so cracked out the lrf rod and had a go with that. All quiet there too bar the odd pin whiting and small pollack. Next thing the rod is doubled over and ive a monster...... a shore rockling at 29cms thrashing about the surface. I really cant stress how much fun these lrf set ups are. I finished up with a dog on the bait rod and packed up as my toes were getting cold and the fishing was still poor.
    all fish were on tescos frozen mack and aldis prawn. Razor didnt get a sniff all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭squidly

bumping an old thread here but...anyone out trying for codling etc yet?
    I was chatting to a couple of lads fishing in youghal a week ago and they hadnt any luck yet,besides a few small whiting and small flats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

I think the spell of weather we have at the moment is just not bad enough to bring em in - not sure what the west is like but we need a right good storm I say to really cool the waters and move the fish on a bit.

As they say we need a good blow and it will pick up. I am going to try de wall for the first time this yr. If anyone regularly heads out of a monday or tuesday please feel free to pm me for a trip.

Advertisement