Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Some Strength Into a Cat

• 07-11-2014 11:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭

Anyone know any ways to get some strength/energy into a cat who seems to be going downhill? I tried giving him tuna (by placing it on his tail), he ate a bit of it but he ended up spitting most of it out after a while and he is normally a cat who would try and eat anything you hand to him. I don't know if I'm grasping at straws here, but I'm hoping I can give my 12 year old boy a better chance before we bring him to the vet tomorrow. :(

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Have you tried heating up the food a little, the smells can encourage sick cats to eat. Or if you can get your hands on some goats milk and put a few drops into his water if he's still drinking. Hope he pulls through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

The main thing would be to get some fluids into him. When I had my mother-in-law's tiny cat neutered recently, she wouldn't eat the next day, and was going downhill fast, energy-wise. I mashed up some tinned catfood into hot water, so that with the cold catfood, it made a warm, runny mush, and she just lapped that up so fast! If he won't eat that, you could try syringing it into him very, very slowly. Or if he won't swallow even that, maybe try the same with some luke-warm water. Have you tried contacting an out-of-hours service at all, by the way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

He is drinking a lot, which makes me think it may be kidney related. He is grooming himself, sleeping the way he usually does and wanting to go out like he usually does, but he has no appetite and seems quite weak. His gums/tongue look pale and he's moving with a slowness about him. His eye that he is blind in looks so much worse, before it was like just a basic cataract, but now in a funny way it looks like his eye has collapsed inside.

Still this morning no desire for food, but he was up and meowing at me when he saw me. He seems like he is really trying to stick to his usual routine but just doesn't have the energy for it. :( Will figure out what the story is with him later on.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

he could be diabetic it would explain the thirst and lethargy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I've had cats with kidney problems, both ate like mad but stayed thin, coats got very rough and thin.
    How did you get on at the vets?

• Advertisement
Advertisement