Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

city of sanctuary

Options
  • 08-11-2014 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭

I saw ciara Conway in the paper (suprise suprise) last week meeting with some gardai chap. I didn't get to read the article but noticed a line containing "Waterford as a city of sanctuary" and was wondering if anyone read the article or knew what she was up to?

Sorry for being so vague.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Sweet lord whats she on about now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Hijpo wrote: »
    .. "Waterford as a city of sanctuary" ..

It's doublespeak. It really means "Waterford as a dumping ground for Roma". Where people from all over the world can feel safe. Everyone say Ahhhhhhh. Or some-other left-wing nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    It's doublespeak. It really means "Waterford as a dumping ground for Roma". Where people from all over the world can feel safe. Everyone say Ahhhhhhh. Or some-other left-wing nonsense.

I googled it and city of sanctuary offers “a positive vision of a culture of hospitality for those in need of safety – refugees and asylum seekers”.

City of Sanctuary encourages communities to take pride in offering a place of safety for people whose lives are threatened.

“It’s a concept that at this point is spreading globally,” said Victoria Fradgely, one of the volunteers. “We felt it was time for it to start in Ireland. It’s starting in Dublin and hopefully it will spread. All we’re asking is for people to endorse the concept of City of Sanctuary.”

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

We've been a city of sanctuary for some awful politicians for too long.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

city of sanctuary = 3rd highest crime in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

fiachr_a wrote: »
    city of sanctuary = 3rd highest crime in the country.

And top for sex crimes

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭burkey85

Are we really 3rd highest crime rate in the country?
    Def not the highest for sex crimes anyway.

I think it was in 2012, i would doubt we reduced this or have been over taken. Then again it probably all goes on what was reported.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/crime/crimebycounty/waterford/

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There was a map of Ireland in the newspaper last weekend with all the counties ranked for crime from 1 to 26. Waterford was 3!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Hijpo wrote: »
    I googled it and city of sanctuary offers “a positive vision of a culture of hospitality for those in need of safety – refugees and asylum seekers”.

City of Sanctuary encourages communities to take pride in offering a place of safety for people whose lives are threatened.

“It’s a concept that at this point is spreading globally,” said Victoria Fradgely, one of the volunteers. “We felt it was time for it to start in Ireland. It’s starting in Dublin and hopefully it will spread. All we’re asking is for people to endorse the concept of City of Sanctuary.”

What about the community whose lives are threatened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Some of these lefties are doing my absolute nut in. what have they done for this city at all ? besides the usual rhetoric and shouting racist at anybody who dares to stand up against organised crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

She might as well make the most of it because I don't think we'll be seeing here again after the general election.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

This is the link for those who want to read what she actually said, I do warn you that you may grind your teeth and simmer with anger while reading the utterly stupid and ridiculous ideas that her and O'Riordan come out with http://www.labour.ie/ciaraconway/news/14128720411165271.html

She hasn't a clue what her constituents actually think about the hogwash she spews out, well she'll find out at the next election when she gets kicked out of office. The city has enough problems without inviting in more bogus asylum seekers and beggers/thieves, that's the last thing we need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

This is the link for those who want to read what she actually said, I do warn you that you may grind your teeth and simmer with anger while reading the utterly stupid and ridiculous ideas that her and O'Riordan come out with http://www.labour.ie/ciaraconway/news/14128720411165271.html

She hasn't a clue what her constituents actually think about the hogwash she spews out, well she'll find out at the next election when she gets kicked out of office. The city has enough problems without inviting in more bogus asylum seekers and beggers/thieves, that's the last thing we need.

I think she's just as useless as the next person but I see absolutely nothing wrong with what she is saying there?

Yes Waterford does have a problem with Roma Gypsies but they are not here as asylum seekers, they are in the EU, so can come and go as they like.

The conditions created within the direct provision system are nothing short of disgraceful and it is shocking what some of these people have to put up with after having to flee their own countries. If you are gonna let a few dodgey Roma gypsies convince you that the people within the direct provision system are not suffering then you are exactly the type of person that the media was talking about when covering the protest against the Romas.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

I wonder if we could come to an agreement with Ciara, we wont say anything about her and she wont say anything about Waterford for the next year and a half.

Both us and her could admit we made mistakes, us voting for her and her running as a TD. Call it quits if you would.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I wonder would she like to work on getting us a university of sanctuary... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭navalus

Asylum seekers are supposed to seek asylum in the first EU country they enter, how many do they enter to get to Ireland ? thousands leaving to find work and thousands left in .

navalus wrote: »
    Asylum seekers are supposed to seek asylum in the first EU country they enter, how many do they enter to get to Ireland ? thousands leaving to find work and thousands left in .

They swim from Africa to the coast of Spain, get picked up by empty fishing trawlers on the way to Ireland, and then to make room for all the stolen fish they get dumped off in Ireland!

O Riain wrote: »
    I think she's just as useless as the next person but I see absolutely nothing wrong with what she is saying there?

Yes Waterford does have a problem with Roma Gypsies but they are not here as asylum seekers, they are in the EU, so can come and go as they like.

The conditions created within the direct provision system are nothing short of disgraceful and it is shocking what some of these people have to put up with after having to flee their own countries. If you are gonna let a few dodgey Roma gypsies convince you that the people within the direct provision system are not suffering then you are exactly the type of person that the media was talking about when covering the protest against the Romas.

Are the conditions worse than what they allegedly fled from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

More than 90% of Asylum seekers are bogus, they are economic migrants who thought by declaring themselves asylum seekers would get them into the country so they could work. The main thing that's wrong with the Irish asylum system isn't direct provision, it's that the deportation process is so unbelievably slow.

Jaysis... I was behind the Roma gypsy protests. If somebody is causing trouble and the Gardaí are not doing anything then I guess a show of strength is required in order to send the message that the people won't stand for it.

This thread has now been diverted from the trouble making Romas onto the Africans and it's turned a bit racist to be honest. If you're the people that were involved in the protest then I guess the media were right all along.

Not very cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Jaysis... I was behind the Roma gypsy protests. If somebody is causing trouble and the Gardaí are not doing anything then I guess a show of strength is required in order to send the message that the people won't stand for it.

This thread has now been diverted from the trouble making Romas onto the Africans and it's turned a bit racist to be honest. If you're the people that were involved in the protest then I guess the media were right all along.

Not very cool.

Are you going to organize a protest outside the house of the (rhymes with cloaks) traveller gang any time soon?
    A show of strength, or whatever?

Is it just about direct provisions for the people already in the city or does it aim to increase capacity?

I think the biggest worry of this "sanctuary" business is that, let's be honest about it, there isn't much in the way of making sure they are above board and if trouble does erupt there is no quick way of quelling it.

The fire is already burning in the city through different groups, its quiet possible people will slip through that will fuel it further.

longshanks wrote: »
    Are you going to organize a protest outside the house of the (rhymes with cloaks) traveller gang any time soon?
    A show of strength, or whatever?

I wouldn't do it in the same way I wouldn't organize one outside the house of the Romas. I'd have more problem with the travellers to be honest then I would with those blow ins!

I love how you pick on my post hinting at apparent Racism when I'm the one saying this thread is after getting a bit racist!

I wouldn't do it in the same way I wouldn't organize one outside the house of the Romas. I'd have more problem with the travellers to be honest then I would with those blow ins!

I love how you pick on my post hinting at apparent Racism when I'm the one saying this thread is after getting a bit racist!

Hmmm. When that "racism" card is played it really reflects poorly on your argument - and not just you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I never mentioned racism. I asked are you going to organise a protest outside the well known traveller gangs house as you said you organised the protest against the Roma.
    What is your criteria for organising protests? Which gangs get a free pass? And why?

longshanks wrote: »
    I never mentioned racism. I asked are you going to organise a protest outside the well known traveller gangs house as you said you organised the protest against the Roma.
    What is your criteria for organising protests? Which gangs get a free pass? And why?

Ah jaysis! I didn't mean that I actually organized it. I meant I was behind it, as in I supported it. :D

As for you 7upfree, ignoring the plight that people are suffering in the direct provision system and alleging that they are not indeed actual 'asylum seekers' is ignorant at best and racist at worst.

You're like the old granny who was speaking to Mary up the town who was told by her friend Bridie that she seen an African woman out the social welfare getting a free car, a free house, €1000 a week dole and STILL wasn't happy.

As useless as the TDs mentioned above actually are, all they were calling for was for society to embrace asylum seekers more. Invite them to join sports clubs, get involved in community activities etc. etc.

They were not saying we should send out a beacon to all the low life scum to come and rob everything we have and turn the city into a hell hole like everyone here is making out.

Can I just re-iterate that I consider her to be the worst TD we have ever had by a country mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭navalus

This country is broke , when we are back to the days of the Celtic Tiger then and only then should we leave thousands in, why should thousands have to leave to find work , and thousands be left in ?

• Advertisement

Because Mary Harney went to Poland years back looking for foreign workers.

Advertisement