Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

identify Gizmo please

Options
  • 08-11-2014 1:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭

Could someone advise what this gizmo is called please? I thought it was called a crimp but any crimps I look up do not look the same? It holds the wire connections which clip into the back of an iron. I am also confused about what size it is so any advice appreciated!

C327710.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Looks like a non-insulated female spade connector.A thing maplins are sure to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

Tuco88 wrote: »
    Looks like a non-insulated female spade connector.A thing maplins are sure to have.

Great thanks! Any idea what size I would be looking for?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Great thanks! Any idea what size I would be looking for?

Your photo is hard to decipher, there are 6 different sizes.

Your photo is hard to decipher, there are 6 different sizes.

Yes, photo's not great but best I could get, looked good on the phone but when uploaded it, it was rubbish!

It is for an iron, what would be your best guesstimite? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Take it to Maplins and say 'Gimme one o dem" ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Whatever it is, its MASSIVE

Xennon wrote: »
    Take it to Maplins and say 'Gimme one o dem" ?

Don't drive so that's a no go! Ebay works fine for me:)

You can measure it and compare it off any site that sell them.

You can measure it and compare it off any site that sell them.

Tried that, the problem is that I don't know if the measurements I need are the length of the width and can't find that info anywhere. No matter, I thought there would be a standard size for standard wires but clearly not, I'll have to find a gizmo shop near me and ask them to analyse it! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

Irons use a lot of current. If you're not 100% comfortable with the quality of your wiring or your capability to attach the spade, don't do it.

Even though you may attach a spade to a wire and get electrical connectivity, if the connection is not true it will heat up and may cause an electrical fire. Spades generally need a crimping tool to get a solid connection.

Honestly, if you don't know what you're doing, please don't do it.

At the very least if this device causes a fire you may invalidate your home insurance by doing this. At the worst people may die.

• Advertisement

ArseBurger wrote: »
    Irons use a lot of current. If you're not 100% comfortable with the quality of your wiring or your capability to attach the spade, don't do it.

Even though you may attach a spade to a wire and get electrical connectivity, if the connection is not true it will heat up and may cause an electrical fire. Spades generally need a crimping tool to get a solid connection.

At the very least if this device causes a fire you may invalidate your home insurance by doing this. At the worst people may die.

I am comfortable in attaching a spade and have done it before, I also do have a crimping tool and have always called these crimps. I was simply looking for the correct name and size so that I could look it up on ebay. That's all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

ArseBurger wrote: »

If the risk of that outcome is high enough to worry about, then its time to live in a bunker.

You could do a solder join on it op.

You could do a solder join on it op.

I managed to find it on ebay after much searching, it is called a 6.4mm non insulated spade terminal with locking tang! Not something I was ever going to guess!!:)

Advertisement