Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get a copy of a photo

• 08-11-2014 11:30am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As the title says, I'm looking to make a copy of a professional photo that I have.

I only have the print and not the negative or online version. Where in Limerick can I get a good photo quality copy made?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭lostboy75

angeldaisy wrote: »
    As the title says, I'm looking to make a copy of a professional photo that I have.

I only have the print and not the negative or online version. Where in Limerick can I get a good photo quality copy made?

Don't know limericks, but did this recently in Galway. And found most of the proper photo places can do it. They just use an a4 scanner. Fairly sure the machines in chemists can do it as well. But not sure what size they can go to. My photos were a3 in size, they were scanned in two go's and stitched back together. The result: you would not know that, the software they use is amazing at stitching it back together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭peckerhead

You say it's a "professional" photo. If you scan it as suggested you'll be in breach of copyright, whether or not the photographer is a professional. Is there not an option to order another print (or a digital copy) from the person whose work/time/skill went into producing the photo?

If not (e.g. if it's an old photo and/or the photographer is unknown or unreachable), then you have two options — make a high-quality scan, or photograph the original (you don't need a fabulously expensive camera to do this right, just a bit of care). Depending on the size of the original, you'll get pretty good results either way, within limits.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

I already bought the photo package from them, normally I would just request another print from them. However I'm under time pressure to get a copy of this photo. This is why I'm looking to get another copy done quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Try Whelan's Cameras on O'Connell Street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

There's generally no copyright issue if it's a reprint for a relative. Usually copyright infringement takes place when you use the image for profit or publish it for recognition.

If you have purchased the image set from the photographer, or hired the photographer under the understanding that the images are your property, then usually the images are yours to do with as you please.

There is a place on William Street beside Boots that I've used in the past for stuff like this. Very good at what they do and from what I remember reasonably priced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

O'Connor's in lower William Street beside Boots. Ask for Martin Alex or Des.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭orm0nd

is Photo magic at Chawke's on the dublin road still there

saw some very good work from them in the past

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

Cheap Pro photo paper eg pixi photo has a copyright on the back but is usually copyable newer good quality has a reflective layer that won't allow copying.

Try soundstore they used to do it

Advertisement