Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent apostrophe help?

Options
  • 08-11-2014 12:48pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 489 ✭✭

Where should the apostrophe be in the following statement, if indeed anywhere?

I have over 18 years' administrative experience.
    I have over 18 year's administrative experience.
    I have over 18 years administrative experience.

I'm inclined to think it's the first one. Would it be simpler if I just wrote 'I have over 18 years of administrative experience', thereby eliminating the need for an apostrophe altogether?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I'd go with no apostrophe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 489 ✭✭Sclosages

Merci!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Call me stupid but I'd still go with 3, defny not with 2 cos it's just the plural that brings the s into play. All there is missing is the word 'of'. 'Experience' is relating to 'I' as in 'I have experience' it's not relating to 'years'. It's not like 'my brother's experience' for example but I'm not really sure tbh, open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Top option, or use "years of experience".
    Dealing with time periods modifies the noun, putting it into the possessive or genitive case.
    The man's hat. (The hat of the man).
    This year's fashion trend. (The fashion trend of this year).
    The last decade's most popular car.
    I have two years' worth of food in my fallout shelter.
    I have eighteen years' experience at doing xyz.

• Advertisement
Advertisement