Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Echo

Options
  • 08-11-2014 2:35pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This looks very cool. I want one. Pity it does not also run on batteries. Version 1 thought I suppose. I love where this is going. Not long until it will be like the movie "Her" with intelligent personal assistants. I love Google now bit would love an always on no touch version with better speech. Will be interesting to see what this I'd like, and where it goes.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I'd be concerned about privacy and targeted advertising if it was Google.

Pretty cool alright :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Im with Linus on this one, my phone does all the same stuff, with better integration with apps/services and can be used anywhere, not just one room. Redundant product.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

I think it's refreshing that this came out of the blue and is a possible game-changer for this emerging technology. Being backed by Amazon it is only going to get better (forgetting about their entry into the phone market!). Bring it on...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

I don't think this is redundant at all. Hands free and always on is actually a pretty essential advancement for this technology. If anything, the current phone implementation is the redundant version. If I have to take my phone out of my pocket and press the button to activate the voice control, what's the point? Why not just type my query when I've got that far?

But the Echo and Ubi are the first steps in the direction of the voice controlled smart home. Obviously as a first iteration its limited, but imagine the potential- home security, heating, lights etc along with weather, recipes, music, messaging, phone calls.

The reviews for this particular version are mixed - some people love it, others seem to have the usual voice recognition failures. Still very exciting though. The next step to Star Trek's computer :)

Anyone know if apart from the obvious power adapter issue, this will work in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Branoic wrote: »
    If I have to take my phone out of my pocket and press the button to activate the voice control, what's the point? Why not just type my query when I've got that far?

"Hey Snapdragon"
    *beep*
    "What time is it in Kansas"
    *The time in kansas is 9:42 AM*

No hands required. Easy peasy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement