Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sous vide

• 08-11-2014 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Can anyone tell me if there a place in ireland that sell sous vide equipment for home use or would I have to shop online.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Renier wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if there a place in ireland that sell sous vide equipment for home use or would I have to shop online.

I think some of the catering suppliers do the Sous Vide Supreme but they are ~€600. Look online at Sous Vide circulators. The big 3 are sansaire, nomiku and anova.

I have a DIY sous vide made from a slow cooker and a temperature controller which works fine and Im due an Anova any day now via their kickstarter from the start of the year. I went for the Anova because it was a bargain price if you got in early on the kickstarter,

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Beer cooler from argos is about €25, digital meat thermometer is about €40. Just as good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

The OP doesn't mention what their budget is. You could also try Nisbets

http://www.nisbets.ie/4/Catering-Appliances-Cooking-Equipment-Sous-Vide-Buffalo-Sous-Vide/c02c02c02c03.r12.1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

OP there's useful information in a recent thread on the subject here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057111128

• Advertisement

Got my Anova precision cooker yesterday, very happy but won't get a proper son till the weekend I'd say

329724.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Renier

Rew wrote: »
    I think some of the catering suppliers do the Sous Vide Supreme but they are ~€600. Look online at Sous Vide circulators. The big 3 are sansaire, nomiku and anova.

I have a DIY sous vide made from a slow cooker and a temperature controller which works fine and Im due an Anova any day now via their kickstarter from the start of the year. I went for the Anova because it was a bargain price if you got in early on the kickstarter,

Hi Rew

What did you use for the temperature controller and what did you use for the circulator.

Ps. Thanks for responding to the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭Thud

Got my Anova precision cooker yesterday, very happy but won't get a proper son till the weekend I'd say

What Kickstarter number were you?

Hi Rew

I think I turned a little green with jealousy. Ha ha ha. I wanted to get it as a gift for someone hence me looking for a shop where I could walk in and buy it, but now I want one for myself. Looking forward to hear what you think of it

Have a great day

Regards

Renier.

duploelabs wrote: »
    Beer cooler from argos is about €25, digital meat thermometer is about €40. Just as good

Thanks for the info. How do you keep the temperature and how do you circulate the water.

• Advertisement

Thud wrote: »
    What Kickstarter number were you?

In the early 700's I was following who was getting what on their forums and people later then me got their 220v models ahead of me, then mine shipped late the week before last and arrived Tuesday last week via fed ex.

Hi Rew

What did you use for the temperature controller and what did you use for the circulator.

Ps. Thanks for responding to the thread.

Instructions:
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Sous-vide-cooker-for-less-than-40/

Slow Cooker:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0000C6WH1

TempController:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CMA2IN8

Pump:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BVK966C

I bought male and female kettle lead sockets in Maplin as well as a plastic box to house it all. Its an easy assembly however it is 220v so if you not comfortable working with basic electrics don't do it.

The whole lot cost more then the Anova but thats only because the kickstarter was such an amazing deal. Also you get a slow cooker out of it so its multifunction.

I trashed the pump during a 90 degree cook, it was fine for a long 48h cooks at lower temps but an hour at 90 and it was trashed.

Thanks for the info. How do you keep the temperature and how do you circulate the water.

You don't. For beer cooler sous vide you fill the cooler with hot water add more hot or cold to get it to the right temp stick the food in and out the lid in. The insulated cooler will keep it at temp long enough for the cook. You can monitor the temp and top up with hot water if it drops. Works perfectly well but its all very manual. Realistically you cant do longer then a few hours with this method unless you going to top up the water every few hours.

Instructions:
    http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/04/cook-your-meat-in-a-beer-cooler-the-worlds-best-sous-vide-hack.html

In the early 700's I was following who was getting what on their forums and people later then me got their 220v models ahead of me, then mine shipped late the week before last and arrived Tuesday last week via fed ex.

I'm n the 4000's but the sent an update saying all should be shipped by christmas

I'm n the 4000's but the sent an update saying all should be shipped by christmas

Worth the wait anyway, great bit of kit. Bring the water up to temp in about 10 mins and its rock solid holding it there (measured separately whit a thermapen). When you look under the stainless steel shield it looks like there are 3 temperature probes that they are using to figure out when to turn on and off the heater. The pump moves quite a bit of water as well. I need to factor it into my Christmas menu now... :D

Trick with this is that the beer cooler will hold temperature for about 3 hours and then when the temperature does drop, you can set an alarm on your digital meat thermometer to warn you as such
    You don't. For beer cooler sous vide you fill the cooler with hot water add more hot or cold to get it to the right temp stick the food in and out the lid in. The insulated cooler will keep it at temp long enough for the cook. You can monitor the temp and top up with hot water if it drops. Works perfectly well but its all very manual. Realistically you cant do longer then a few hours with this method unless you going to top up the water every few hours.

Instructions:
    http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/04/cook-your-meat-in-a-beer-cooler-the-worlds-best-sous-vide-hack.html

Worth the wait anyway, great bit of kit. Bring the water up to temp in about 10 mins and its rock solid holding it there (measured separately whit a thermapen). When you look under the stainless steel shield it looks like there are 3 temperature probes that they are using to figure out when to turn on and off the heater. The pump moves quite a bit of water as well. I need to factor it into my Christmas menu now... :D

Can you add hot water to speed up getting to up to the temp at the start or are you best off to let it do it itself?

Can you add hot water to speed up getting to up to the temp at the start or are you best off to let it do it itself?

No you can add hot water the trick is not to over shoot your target temp as it will just shut off the heater and sit there waiting for it to cool or you will have to add cold. Once it within 5 or 10 degrees its better left to do its thing, its crazy how stable it keeps the temp.

Did a steak over the weekend for the first time:

331060.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

interesting - how was it compared to fried?

• Advertisement

Defiantly juicier and a little more tender. It was edge to edge medium rare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Defiantly juicier and a little more tender. It was edge to edge medium rare.
    I had a sous vide steak recently in a steak restaurant in Copenhagen, and it was superb. A really thick sirloin, but evenly cooked to perfection (medium rare in my case) all the way through.

How did you finish yours off? Hot griddle or blow torch?

Alun wrote: »
    How did you finish yours off? Hot griddle or blow torch?

Either cast iron griddle or skillet, heated to the max and some suitable oil on it. I have a cooks blow torch and its not up to the job of finishing a steak. I sometimes use it to do some touch ups or render a bit of awkward fat. A plumbers blow torch would probably be more suitable, might get one at some stage.

A plumbers blow torch would probably be more suitable, might get one at some stage.
    Yes, I've seen Tom Kerridge using a massive one on his TV series that's on at the moment. Looks like fun :)

A proper professional blow torch will work (although they're pricy), another alternative is a paint stripping heat gun if you've one lying around

... another alternative is a paint stripping heat gun if you've one lying around
    I do as it happens, never thought of using that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

I know some of you are experts but I'm a beginner at sous vide and have no equipment other than a temp probe, cooler.

BBQ for 16 on hols this summer using two small weber portables and a few throw-away instant bbqs. They'll mostly want a steak so I'm thinking of sealing each steak/pair of steaks in a ziploc, firing all the bags in a cooler full of water at 145°F and bringing the meat up to 130°F over two or three hours. That should equate to med-rare. Does that sound right?

Do I have to do that process immediately before searing them on the bbq or can they be chilled back down and brought up to room temp again before searing on the bbq?

Thanks for any advice/input.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Feck that effort. BBQ steaks are nicer than sous vide imo. I would only sous vide a fillet too.

• Advertisement

RasTa wrote: »
    Feck that effort. BBQ steaks are nicer than sous vide imo. I would only sous vide a fillet too.

Have you cooked many steaks (fillet or otherwise) sous vide? Most of your posts seem to be on the Poker and Soccer forums so I didn't waste time trawling through them. Appreciate any advice because I won't have adequate facilities to scratch cook 16 steaks, hence the enquiry.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Dubl07 I've merged your thread with the main Sous Vide thread because the posters in here more than likely follow the thread and so will be more likely to see your question.

Dubl07 I've merged your thread with the main Sous Vide thread because the posters in here more than likely follow the thread and so will be more likely to see your question.

Thanks! Never sure how old a thread is too old. I've been told off before for zombie threads on boards. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Have you cooked many steaks (fillet or otherwise) sous vide? Most of your posts seem to be on the Poker and Soccer forums so I didn't waste time trawling through them. Appreciate any advice because I won't have adequate facilities to scratch cook 16 steaks, hence the enquiry.

There are certain hygiene risks to sous vide cooking that you need to be careful of. Either cook your food sous vide to the desired temperature and finish it or chill it immediately to 4c or below and store it in the fridge.

If you want the steaks at 130f why would you set the water to 145f? Or are you dumping the steaks in and resetting to 130f?

What Minder said. Heat and maintain the water at the target temperature for the food. Try it before you do it for that many people. Id cook them in the sous vide for a couple of hours and stick em on the bbq when your ready to roll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Minder wrote: »
    If you want the steaks at 130f why would you set the water to 145f? Or are you dumping the steaks in and resetting to 130f?

He's talking about a McGyver sous-vide (beer cooler filled with hot water), not a proper one with a thermostat.

• Advertisement

There are certain hygiene risks to sous vide cooking that you need to be careful of. Either cook your food sous vide to the desired temperature and finish it or chill it immediately to 4c or below and store it in the fridge.

Thank you. One pretty logical US guide recommended 15°F above desired cooked temp as the room temp meat entering the water bath will bring down the water temperature. Would you just advise having the water at desired temp to start and adding hot water after the meat to maintain target temp?
    What Minder said. Heat and maintain the water at the target temperature for the food. Try it before you do it for that many people. Id cook them in the sous vide for a couple of hours and stick em on the bbq when your ready to roll.

Thanks. I'm going to give it a try a few times over the next couple of weeks, well in advance of the holidays. At home here I prefer a pan-seared cowboy steak (single rib/cote de boeuf) finished in the oven but that won't be feasible time-wise for the numbers involved.

No none, I've eaten a good few though. I've bbq plenty of steaks and I prefer the charcoal flavour over sous vide. 16 would be tough so maybe not feasible since you won't have heat control using different bbq's

RasTa wrote: »
    No none, I've eaten a good few though. I've bbq plenty of steaks and I prefer the charcoal flavour over sous vide. 16 would be tough so maybe not feasible since you won't have heat control using different bbq's

Any sous vide steak needs to be finished off/seared on a pan, bbq or by blow torch are you eating them straight out of the bag?

Thank you. One pretty logical US guide recommended 15°F above desired cooked temp as the room temp meat entering the water bath will bring down the water temperature. Would you just advise having the water at desired temp to start and adding hot water after the meat to maintain target temp?

What your planning makes sense. Make sure the target temperature doesn't get back to 145f or you'll have 16 medium steaks. I've only ever used a digital waterbath - set and forget it - so I can't advise on the addition of hot water to get to your desired temperature. I found 50.5c to be ideal for rare steaks. Add a little dripping to each pouch to boost the beef flavour and only season with salt when they are ready to go on the bbq. The dripping will also help on the bbq. For 16 steaks, you will want to be turning the first one just after the last one is placed on the grill. Unless the steaks are really thick, the bbq is all about a scorching hot grill to get a quick crust but avoid cooking the meat any further. Remember the steaks are already at 50+c when the go on the grill - they will get to 70+c very quickly if you're not careful.

What your planning makes sense. Make sure the target temperature doesn't get back to 145f or you'll have 16 medium steaks. I've only ever used a digital waterbath - set and forget it - so I can't advise on the addition of hot water to get to your desired temperature. I found 50.5c to be ideal for rare steaks. Add a little dripping to each pouch to boost the beef flavour and only season with salt when they are ready to go on the bbq. The dripping will also help on the bbq. For 16 steaks, you will want to be turning the first one just after the last one is placed on the grill. Unless the steaks are really thick, the bbq is all about a scorching hot grill to get a quick crust but avoid cooking the meat any further. Remember the steaks are already at 50+c when the go on the grill - they will get to 70+c very quickly if you're not careful.

Brilliant. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Photo-Sniper

Nobody needs a sous vide at home and thats a fact.

Any sous vide steak needs to be finished off/seared on a pan, bbq or by blow torch are you eating them straight out of the bag?

What? No....

Right....... Ever tried it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Photo-Sniper

Right....... Ever tried it yourself?
    We have 10 of them in my kitchen. They are great for speed and consistency of the cook.

A completely unnecessary device to have at home though. If your confident at cooking, the only and best way to cook a steak should be to sear it on a viciously hot pan.

We have 10 of them in my kitchen. They are great for speed and consistency of the cook.

A completely unnecessary device to have at home though. If your confident at cooking, the only and best way to cook a steak should be to sear it on a viciously hot pan.

Except with a sous vide technique you don't get a bullseye effect on your steak

Thats like saying you don't need an oven in your kitchen which you don't unless you want to cook something that needs it ;) The average home cook wont have much interest in sous videing a steak or anything else which is fine but some will.

Searing it on a viciously hot cast iron pan is exactly how I cook my steaks after they come out of the sous vide. Sous vide provides a more tender juicy steak then other methods especially with cheaper cuts. I use it for a variety of other things duck breast is particularly good, the first step of triple cooked chips, 63 degree eggs. Im surprised you put speed as an advantage given is a painfully slow way to cook.

my medium rare 48hour brisket disagrees with you

What? Guessing you're joking...

Big Green Egg v Sous Vide brisket and steak challenge coming up....

Sous vide and then BGE.

^^^^ What he said!

Though Sous Vide brisket and slow cooked BBQ brisket are not the same thing both should be beautiful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement