Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood stove in Charlesland idea

Options
  • 08-11-2014 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi,

Just wondering did anybody try or maybe already have a wood stove in Charlesland.
    Any tips and suggestions appreciated.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 yellatdave

There's an external vent/chimney on a 3-bed in CW, so maybe someone's already done it. Nice idea to get you through the winter months...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Last Out wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering did anybody try or maybe already have a wood stove in Charlesland.
    Any tips and suggestions appreciated.

Thank you

Just remember that to reduce build costs most (or perhaps all) of the homes is Charlesland either have no chimney or in most cases have a false chimney and therefore have no flue.
    This applies to all for the 3 beds in Charlesland that I have seen.
    That make installing a wood burning stove very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 yellatdave

2011 wrote: »
    Just remember that to reduce build costs most (or perhaps all) of the homes is Charlesland either have no chimney or in most cases have a false chimney and therefore have no flue.
    This applies to all for the 3 beds in Charlesland that I have seen.
    That make installing a wood burning stove very expensive.

Agreed that swapping out the current gas fire for a wood burning stove in its place wouldn't be possible due to lack of chimney there, but placing it on the side wall near the double back doors of an end-terrace 3-bed (where I saw it) shouldn't be too big a job I'd imagine.

Would imagine it's simply knocking a hole through the brick/block cavity for the flue, add the necessary fire-proofing/insulation & happy days :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

External flue for a stove has to be double insulated to avoid condensation dripping back down the pipe. Therefore it is equivalent in cost to building a masonry chimney.
    Farmhouses often have a basic steel flue rising up internally, in the corner, up through the first floor, then going outside at roof level. The advantages are that all the extra heat off the flue pipe goes into the rooms, and less condensation risk inside the pipe.
    You would have to take health and safety considerations into account for a modern house though, ie fireproofing between the floors, and measures to stop people burning themselves against the hot flue pipe.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

yellatdave wrote: »
    Agreed that swapping out the current gas fire for a wood burning stove in its place wouldn't be possible due to lack of chimney there

Yes it would, it would just be expensive.

You could use an insulated flue like this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQahNtyzjxzLcC4DzCESi5zC1fnilPQK5quwBQuGEh_DJBsNgRm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Is that stove sitting on a wooden/ laminate floor?

Cerco wrote: »
    Is that stove sitting on a wooden/ laminate floor?

Looks like stone to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

I would hope so but it looks like wood to me as there appears to be knots visible.

Cerco wrote: »
    I would hope so but it looks like wood to me as there appears to be knots visible.

I think that it is a black circular stone on a wooded floor. I have a similar arrangement. It works fine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Last Out

Thank you all for suggestions, I think it would work. Might give it a go soon :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement