Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cars with low running costs - m.p.g. , tax etc...?

• 08-11-2014 3:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭

What cars fall into the low running cost category?

Friends have some class of a Volvo estate (new) which, apparently, has very low emissions and only costs €200 per annum to tax! Our 2003 Renault diesel costs €600 - a considerable chunk of what the car is now worth.

What family-sized cars fall into the reasonable to buy/reasonable to run category?

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Dinarius wrote: »
    What family-sized cars fall into the reasonable to buy/reasonable to run category?
    Anything that is reliable, does not depreciate and is reasonably economical. Here is a good example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Seweryn wrote: »
    Anything that is reliable, does not depreciate and is reasonably economical. Here is a good example.

I'd say that's exactly what the op is looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I'd say that's exactly what the op is looking for.

Thanks for the replies, but fail to see why we would sell our 2003 diesel Laguna to buy a a car that is even more expensive to tax and two years older.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Thanks for the replies, but fail to see why we would sell our 2003 diesel Laguna to buy a a car that is even more expensive to tax and two years older.
    You were not clear with your question, i.e. that you were thinking of changing your current car. In this case, just keep the Laguna until a large repair bill arrives. Then just sell / scrap it and buy something as suggested above ;).

Thanks again.

Now, if I was in the market for a car up to 5 years old, with similar low running costs to that Volvo estate, what are my options?

D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

D.

There's more to running a car than just the tax bill, the initial cost of buying it for one..

Also, buying a car could be a minefield, if the car you've got is treating you well, and does everything you need, there's no point changing it just to get cheaper tax. Change it cos you want to, or for better reasons than that..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Friends have some class of a Volvo estate (new) which, apparently, has very low emissions and only costs €200 per annum to tax! Our 2003 Renault diesel costs €600 - a considerable chunk of what the car is now worth.

Thanks.

D.

So he's paid over €30k and will loose more than the cost of your car in the first year in deprecation and you think he's saving money. Unless you're current car has a major fault it's the cheapest car for you because even buying new you can still get a lemon never mind 2nd hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

D.

Sorry I should of added a wink face in an attempt of sarcasm. I knew by your op that you are not in the market for a 10+ year old car.

You be a looking at a mid 2008 and onwards to fall into the low tax bands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Thanks.

D.

Remember how much did your friend pay for their Volvo in order to save €400 or so in motor tax over your Laguna. Now if you want a newer car then fair enough but just remember spending thousands in order to save a few hundred in annual motor tax is not really a money saving exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Volvoair

most cars from july 2008 onwards have very low road tax, when compared with older models.
    but handing over several thousands to save 3/400 ,if your old car is perfect is waste of money,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

No.

Every car first registered from 1/1/08 was taxed on the new system. The only exception was for cars that had high emissions could still be taxed on the old cc system if it was cheaper. This exception was only in place until 30/6/08.

Thanks for the replies.

I'll probably stay as I am for the moment.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

just a few points, if you ask me, your current car is already cheap enough to tax. You will be losing thousands extra in depreciation and loan interest if applicable to save a euro a day on tax, dont bother if the sole aim is money "saving" because its not, its costing you...

Advertisement