Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014 graduates - the next step onwards

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Great running annapr and Firedance!

Fantastic pb annapr and such a big improvement in such a short space of time! 2015 will be a great running year for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Well done all the JB runners ... and great target-smashing by annapr and adrian (but no surprise on either count)

There was collection of about 10-15 santa/elf/reindeers outfits at parkrun this morning :) - a bit early for it I would have thought, there's nearly three weeks to go! I was only volunteering at parkrun, but got 5 relaxed miles done later. Lovely running weather here this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Looking for a bit of help if possible. Been following most parts of the plan, apart from the hill sprints. I haven't ever done them and have no idea how. What duration is full recovery? Is this a standing recovery, or jog away from the hill and back to the start of the sprint? Have plenty of access to hills so what kind of gradient is most suitable for these?

Also, not fully clear on what pace/ heart rate tempo sessions should be done at at present. If one of the goal races is a 10 miler on April should I be using this pace range or is it a bit soon to be worrying about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

JohnDozer wrote: »
    Looking for a bit of help if possible. Been following most parts of the plan, apart from the hill sprints. I haven't ever done them and have no idea how. What duration is full recovery? Is this a standing recovery, or jog away from the hill and back to the start of the sprint? Have plenty of access to hills so what kind of gradient is most suitable for these?

Also, not fully clear on what pace/ heart rate tempo sessions should be done at at present. If one of the goal races is a 10 miler on April should I be using this pace range or is it a bit soon to be worrying about that?

Hi John,

Gradient isn't that important to be honest, for anyone who hasn't got access to hills then stairs/steps make a pretty good alternative. Full recovery is usually 3 - 4 minutes or until your heart rate is down to what it was before you did the first sprint. Wear layers so that you can add and remove as required. Keep moving for the recovery period but whether that's walking or jogging is up to you. You want to be warm and breathing easily at the start of each rep.

For the tempo session if you have a max HR reading then plug it into cell B2 of the calculator (circled in red in the attached image) on the mileage tracker and it'll output your heart rate range for tempo runs in the table to the right under the "% of Max Heart Rate" heading. If you also have a resting heart rate measurement plug that in to cell B10 (circled in green in the attached image) and you'll get a slightly more accurate heart rate range to the right of that under the heading "Heart Rate Reserve".

If you haven't got a heart rate monitor run the tempo at a pace where you can get a few words out but couldn't hold a conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

We're two weeks into the plan now so it's time to do a quick review and take stock of how the last couple of weeks have been.

If you're looking back and thinking that it hasn't been much of a challenge then think about lengthening all of your runs by 5 mins.
    If it has been a challenge but manageable keep going at the same level and
    If it has been a challenge and you're constantly tired, getting a few niggles or feeling grumpy all the time back off a little and taken 5 mins (or more) off the length of your runs.

What we're looking to develop here is your ability as a runner over a lengthy period of time. It takes years of running for most people to reach their potential and the reason that most people don't reach it is because they get injured. Don't follow the plan slavishly, if you're having a bad day or under a lot of stress give yourself a break and back off. Running needs to be fun, as soon as it becomes a chore take a step back and work out if you need to make any changes. There are times when you need to back off and there are times when you need to slog on through. Developing the awareness to make that judgement is a great life skill as well as a running one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Clearlier wrote: »
    We're two weeks into the plan now so it's time to do a quick review and take stock of how the last couple of weeks have been.

If you're looking back and thinking that it hasn't been much of a challenge then think about lengthening all of your runs by 5 mins.
    If it has been a challenge but manageable keep going at the same level and
    If it has been a challenge and you're constantly tired, getting a few niggles or feeling grumpy all the time back off a little and taken 5 mins (or more) off the length of your runs.

What we're looking to develop here is your ability as a runner over a lengthy period of time. It takes years of running for most people to reach their potential and the reason that most people don't reach it is because they get injured. Don't follow the plan slavishly, if you're having a bad day or under a lot of stress give yourself a break and back off. Running needs to be fun, as soon as it becomes a chore take a step back and work out if you need to make any changes. There are times when you need to back off and there are times when you need to slog on through. Developing the awareness to make that judgement is a great life skill as well as a running one.

Thanks Clearlier, I love this post... we can all get so caught up in whatever the next goal is, or in trying to hit every minute of every day of training... and end up overdoing it or forgetting the point.

I've been feeling bad because I haven't been able to follow the plan religiously, I've only managed a couple of easy runs a week since DCM, have yet to figure out how to do the HRM or a hill sprint... but I did a 90-minute easy run on Monday in Donegal, and laughed most of the way home because I enjoyed it so much (probably looked a bit mad to the few sheep who were around to observe me, but there you go). I'd like to be able to do that until I'm 80 :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Ososlo, I think it's time you rounded up all the female graduates and make ask them nicely to start a log. Would you also do us the honour of kicking off the 2015 thread for the Female 10 Round Numbers table please?! I think a few of those boxes could be filled in quite early in the year going by recent logs and race reports.
    On a side note, Adrian explained the proper pronunciation of your username...time to change don't you think!

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Ososlo, I think it's time you rounded up all the female graduates and make ask them nicely to start a log. Would you also do us the honour of kicking off the 2015 thread for the Female 10 Round Numbers table please?! I think a few of those boxes could be filled in quite early in the year going by recent logs and race reports.
    On a side note, Adrian explained the proper pronunciation of your username...time to change don't you think!

Ha ha yes women, get yer logs going. It's an order!

To your other question! NO WAY will I start off that thread! I support it 1000% but it should be started by someone like yourself or career move who actually are capable of hitting some of those targets! I'll get there but gimme another bit of time please! I'll certainly be chasing that 800m again soon though!

I think 2015 is going to be a great year for the women and that table though. Great to see so many of you fast girls logging now as you give us all something to aspire to!
    I'll change my name when I'm as fast as you;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Ososlo wrote: »

To your other question! NO WAY will I start off that thread! I support it 1000% but it should be started by someone like yourself or career move who actually are capable of hitting some of those targets! I'll get there but gimme another bit of time please! I'll certainly be chasing that 800m again soon though!

I think 2015 is going to be a great year for the women and that table though. Great to see so many of you fast girls logging now as you give us all something to aspire to!

You should change it to ososuper, cause you are exactly that!
    I won't be logging anything this side of Xmas, I just joined my local community gym for 2 months so I can use the bike, cross trainer & row machine & stay off my foot. Its gonna be hell but I have 2015 targets I really want to achieve so I have to think big picture - but still, boooo hoooo! I cant wait to read everyone else's logs tho so get going ladies :-)

Firedance wrote: »
    You should change it to ososuper, cause you are exactly that!
    I won't be logging anything this side of Xmas, I just joined my local community gym for 2 months so I can use the bike, cross trainer & row machine & stay off my foot. Its gonna be hell but I have 2015 targets I really want to achieve so I have to think big picture - but still, boooo hoooo! I cant wait to read everyone else's logs tho so get going ladies :-)

lol Oso-superslo maybe:D
    Sorry about that Firedance. Really sucks and is very frustrating but you're defo doing the right thing and it is all about the bigger picture. The time will fly by and you'll be back on the roads before you know it.
    Looking forward to the log kickstarting sometime in the New Year!

• Advertisement

Now ladies, ye have been told!

And yes, we want to see your name in that 800m box. I won't start it, sorry over to you CM if you're reading this, I'm working from an iPad - so frustrating on boards so operating a table would result in severe loss of hair.

As to the last part, you didn't qualify the fastness or at what (I am not so quick on the uptake...your username for example!) so......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Now ladies, ye have been told!

And yes, we want to see your name in that 800m box. I won't start it, sorry over to you CM if you're reading this, I'm working from an iPad - so frustrating on boards so operating a table would result in severe loss of hair.

As to the last part, you didn't qualify the fastness or at what (I am not so quick on the uptake...your username for example!) so......

Hey! I feel like I have gone AWOL recently, since DCM I have to say been struggling big time with running motivation, only getting out for 2/3 short runs a week, sometimes even on the dreaded treadmill! On the plus side have been focusing a lot on gym work, especially strengthening up legs & core & doing a spin class a week, so hoping that will help. I’m in the gym 5 days a week & enjoying it so I guess at least I am doing something. Have decided to stop beating myself up about it and just enjoy the gym for the remainder of the month. Looking ahead to 2015 and trying to make a plan & sign up to some races in so that I can go all guns blazing from Jan! I really miss the DCM training routine I have to say, I loved the structure of it & getting through the plan, it was a great focus, I think I need to focus in on the plan here to get myself back on track a bit.

I recently turned 30 (part of the lack of running can be attributed to extended celebrations for that!) and currently compiling a list of “30 things to do when you are 30” on the suggestion of a good friend, and starting a training log is on there, just don’t know who in their right mind would want to read it!

I am literally just after getting the username Ososlo, my god all this time I was thinking there was some Norwegian connection! I am really not with it!

Can I ask what is the Female 10 Round Numbers Table?? Sounds intriguing!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

A female version of this

Think I finally figured out the linking!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

God I'm feeling well outnumbered here with all the ladies around -> feels like I've stumbled into the Ladies Lounge in fact. :-)

Good running at jingle-bells folks! Nice to see a few PB's flying out the window!

I completely echo what others are saying about felling meh about everything; I've taken clearlier's advice and just doing what suits me at the time. It's a wasted effort being a slave to the training plan in December. That said, really liking the faster running even if it hurts a tad.

Have started thinking about new year now; I reckon I will sign up to Jantastic with a few mates for the craic...I think a few on here did it last year and seemed to like it. Then I'm heading away in April, so it would make sense to target a race in March or so. Any suggestions for good 10km in Dublin area in the second half of March?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

What date are you heading away in April? Good 10K on April 11th but it may be too late for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

adrian522 wrote: »
    What date are you heading away in April? Good 10K on April 11th but it may be too late for you.

4th to 22nd, don't plan much running so would be nice to get on the plane with a nice race in the bag. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I think there's a 10k in Balbriggan on St Patrick's Day. Never ran it though, so can't comment on whether it's any good or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

yaboya1 wrote: »
    I think there's a 10k in Balbriggan on St Patrick's Day. Never ran it though, so can't comment on whether it's any good or not.

Very hilly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

yaboya1 wrote: »
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Very hilly

It's hilly alright but with start and finish in the same point you get the benefit of fast downhills, especially towards the end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

adrian522 wrote: »

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: those are some fairly tall orders! something for me to aim for 'eventually' :o

Firedance wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: those are some fairly tall orders! something to aim for 'eventually' :o
    That's the beauty of the table, some are tall but some are very achievable! The 800m for example...the mile is doable too. Next I'd say is the 5 mile and the HM is within most graduates' sights this year. Go graduates :)

Mimojo wrote: »
    Hey! I feel like I have gone AWOL recently, since DCM I have to say been struggling big time with running motivation, only getting out for 2/3 short runs a week, sometimes even on the dreaded treadmill! On the plus side have been focusing a lot on gym work, especially strengthening up legs & core & doing a spin class a week, so hoping that will help. I’m in the gym 5 days a week & enjoying it so I guess at least I am doing something. Have decided to stop beating myself up about it and just enjoy the gym for the remainder of the month. Looking ahead to 2015 and trying to make a plan & sign up to some races in so that I can go all guns blazing from Jan! I really miss the DCM training routine I have to say, I loved the structure of it & getting through the plan, it was a great focus, I think I need to focus in on the plan here to get myself back on track a bit.

I recently turned 30 (part of the lack of running can be attributed to extended celebrations for that!) and currently compiling a list of “30 things to do when you are 30” on the suggestion of a good friend, and starting a training log is on there, just don’t know who in their right mind would want to read it!

I am literally just after getting the username Ososlo, my god all this time I was thinking there was some Norwegian connection! I am really not with it!

Can I ask what is the Female 10 Round Numbers Table?? Sounds intriguing!

Haha I wasn't the only one making the Nordic connection!

Start the log and they will come... (Said in a Field of Dreams voice)

And sounds like you've been ticking over quite nicely really....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Haha I wasn't the only one making the Nordic connection!

Start the log and they will come... (Said in a Field of Dreams voice)

And sounds like you've been ticking over quite nicely really....

Duno what is wrong with me but not feeling running at all at the moment, the cold weather isn’t helping & just think I was a bit worn out after the training & then my bday escapades! Had been feeling pretty bad about it but decided to just keep ticking along in the gym & have to say am enjoying it, and looking forward to the new year & getting back out there with plenty of race goals.

Just spied out your log, seriously impressive stuff, and serious pace - Will be keeping an eye on it. I am literally miles behind! Might give the log a go, great way to stay accountable :-)

That's the beauty of the table, some are tall but some are very achievable! The 800m for example...the mile is doable too. Next I'd say is the 5 mile and the HM is within most graduates' sights this year. Go graduates :)

I dunno about 'very achievable' and 'doable' Dubgal. For you and a couple of other females on Boards, yes, you could realistically reach all/most of those within a year. The majority of us are a good bit behind that however for different reasons (only recently took up the sport/no history of partaking in any previous exercise etc). The Half Marathon is a very difficult target imo.
    It's great to have something to aspire to but I'm at least a year away from achieving most of those targets and I'd imagine a lot of the females on this thread would be the same (24, 25, 26 min 5kers).
    The 800m is definitely the easiest target there though and as menoscemo said before, most people could have a good chance of hitting that one.
    Even I am not a million miles away from it and that's saying something!
    It's great to see such enthusiasm for the table! FINALLY:D:D:D

Duno what is wrong with me but not feeling running at all at the moment, the cold weather isn’t helping & just think I was a bit worn out after the training & then my bday escapades! Had been feeling pretty bad about it but decided to just keep ticking along in the gym & have to say am enjoying it, and looking forward to the new year & getting back out there with plenty of race goals.

Just spied out your log, seriously impressive stuff, and serious pace - Will be keeping an eye on it. I am literally miles behind! Might give the log a go, great way to stay accountable :-)
    Yes give the log a go and we'll hound you on a daily basis:D

Aw thanks.... As long as you're not beating yourself up for not running, sounds like you're doing plenty! But looking forward to seeing your log in the new year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Off the top of my head I would Rank them (from easiest to hardest)

1. 800m sub 3
    2. 5 Mile sub 35
    3. HM sub 100
    4. 3k Sub 12
    5. 1 Mile sub 6
    6. 10 Mile sub 70
    7. Marathon sub 200
    8. 5k Sub 20
    9. 400m sub 70 seconds
    10. 10k sub 40

Obviously there are people who will excell at sprints over long distance, e.g. someone might find the sub 70 400m easy but find it impossible to run a sub 1:40 HM or a sub 35 5mile.

As the person who set up the frist ladies table a few years ago, I hope it gets a lot more attention next year!!

I dunno about 'very achievable' and 'doable' Dubgal. For you and a couple of other females on Boards, yes, you could realistically reach all/most of those within a year. The majority of us are a good bit behind that however for different reasons (only recently took up the sport/no history of partaking in any previous exercise etc). The Half Marathon is a very difficult target imo.
    It's great to have something to aspire to but I'm at least a year away from achieving most of those targets and I'd imagine a lot of the females on this thread would be the same (24, 25, 26 min 5kers).
    The 800m is definitely the easiest target there though and as menoscemo said before, most people could have a good chance of hitting that one.
    Even I am not a million miles away from it and that's saying something!
    It's great to see such enthusiasm for the table! FINALLY:D:D:D
    I'd really like to see this table filling up - maybe not every box ticked by everybody is possible - with lots of female boardsies ticking one or two boxes....2015 for starters. Let's do it, I think the 2014 graduates can get the ball rolling

• Advertisement

I'd really like to see this table filling up - maybe not every box ticked by everybody is possible - with lots of female boardsies ticking one or two boxes....2015 for starters. Let's do it, I think the 2014 graduates can get the ball rolling

Am in absolute agreement!

Advertisement