Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014 graduates - the next step onwards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Ha ha, 3 of us starting this week which is great.
    Did the 5 * 2 mins @ 5km with 3 mins recovery. Started with a 17 min warmup and then timed myself around a pitch. Not sure I'd the watch on the right setting or if I can program or switch so it will beep at me rather than me checking.

I don't think I fully pushed myself as a result of watching the clock but did 4.67 miles in 47.01. Warm-up pace I tried to keep HR under 162 as per resting heartbeat which I took as 50. Avg HR 157 and Max HR 187.

Happy to finally be able to contribute properly to the thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

aquinn wrote: »
    Ha ha, 3 of us starting this week which is great.
    Did the 5 * 2 mins @ 5km with 3 mins recovery. Started with a 17 min warmup and then timed myself around a pitch. Not sure I'd the watch on the right setting or if I can program or switch so it will beep at me rather than me checking.

I don't think I fully pushed myself as a result of watching the clock but did 4.67 miles in 47.01. Warm-up pace I tried to keep HR under 162 as per resting heartbeat which I took as 50. Avg HR 157 and Max HR 187.

Happy to finally be able to contribute properly to the thread!

I have the garmin 15 and it has a run/walk setting on it, you can go in and set the watch to 'run' for 2 mins and 'walk' for 3 mins or whatever time intervals you want. The downside of this is that my pace per lap is all over the place and I can't see a record of what pace I was holding for the 2 min speed but it was very handy to just hear a beep when I needed to slow down or speed up.

For anyone else doing these how are you managing/recording those sessions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Firedance wrote: »
    I have the garmin 15 and it has a run/walk setting on it, you can go in and set the watch to 'run' for 2 mins and 'walk' for 3 mins or whatever time intervals you want. The downside of this is that my pace per lap is all over the place and I can't see a record of what pace I was holding for the 2 min speed but it was very handy to just hear a beep when I needed to slow down or speed up.

Has it got an option to mark each segment as a lap? That's what I would do with my Garmin 405. I don't use it very often but I can create a workout for my watch.

Clearlier wrote: »
    Has it got an option to mark each segment as a lap? That's what I would do with my Garmin 405. I don't use it very often but I can create a workout for my watch.

Yes it does and I'd forgotten that. perfect thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Firedance wrote: »

My watch is pretty basic so you can't pre set times so I just use the voice recorder on my phone! I record myself saying "start" then "stop" at the appropriate interval. The only thing I don't like is hearing my own voice! On the hill repeats I just time first one and then repeat from the same start and stop point.

• Advertisement

Being aware that plenty of people have started at later dates I'm wondering how far everyone has got in following the plan? Back at the start of this thread I mentioned that I planned to put together a more race specific section after this was completed. Is there any interest in that? If so, can you let me know what race(s) you're thinking of targeting please?

Longer term, how many are thinking about doing DCM '15?

On a separate note partly to help with any future plan but also to help me review how things have gone there are a few question that you might be able to help answer:

Any feedback on how you think the plan has gone so far?
    What with the benefit of hindsight would you change?
    Has it been too easy/difficult?
    Has there been anything that has been difficult to understand?
    Has the plan been easy to follow?
    Are you happy/disappointed with where you are at the moment?
    How have you found running according to time rather than distance?

There was a definite decision not to push the increase in training volume too hard with a view to long term development as opposed to short term success. This was partly a response to the marathon training which for most people represented a fairly quick progression in distance. Has it felt like the training load has increased too slowly?

I'd really appreciate any thoughts you have, no need to reply to any let alone all of the questions - they're just intended as prompts!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Being aware that plenty of people have started at later dates I'm wondering how far everyone has got in following the plan? Back at the start of this thread I mentioned that I planned to put together a more race specific section after this was completed. Is there any interest in that? If so, can you let me know what race(s) you're thinking of targeting please?

I've recently joined a club so I have not been following this plan as closely as I was but I did get benefit from it and I do still run sessions outlined in it just not doing it as rigorously now as I am attending more club sessions.

In terms of target races my target is a 10K on April 11th. After that I don't really have any medium term goal.

Longer term I'm looking at the Berlin Marathon in September and am currently musing over a plan for that. I'm thinking about the P&D 55-70 MPW plan but I'm not 100% sold on that (yet).
    On a separate note partly to help with any future plan but also to help me review how things have gone there are a few question that you might be able to help answer:

I think it was very good, it progressed nicely and never left me feeling worn out or anything. I did run more than the prescribed times on easy days though and also on the long runs.

Personally I may have ramped up the sessions a bit more quickly, I was eager to get stuck into the more challenging sessions.

As above, I think it struck a good balance overall with good progression though I missed bits of it. For myself I would have been a bit more aggressive progressing with it but overall it was good.

Not really, doing the drills took a bit of getting used to and I wasn't always clear how much recovery should be taken but apart from that it was easy to understand.

As above, easy enough to follow the plan.

Pretty happy with where I am.

Eh, same as above, pretty easy to follow.

To be honest I still need to map a route and figure out how far that should be. It's not like I can run 60 mins and then stop. I need to map a route that takes about 60 mins so end up running a little over the allotted time anyway and still think in terms of a 6 mile loop or 7 mile loop or whatever.

There was a definite decision not to push the increase in training volume too hard with a view to long term development as opposed to short term success. This was partly a response to the marathon training which for most people represented a fairly quick progression in distance. Has it felt like the training load has increased too slowly?

As above, for me personally I would have increased it quicker but I guess everyone is different.
    I'd really appreciate any thoughts you have, no need to reply to any let alone all of the questions - they're just intended as prompts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

I'm about 3 weeks behind. Also thinking about the k club 10k, maybe the Terenure 5 mile in May. Would definitely be interested in some sort of race specific section if there was something going.

No, not myself. A goal half marathon is probably what I'll be aiming for later in the year.

Personally I think it's gone well. I read your post on the increasing mileage thread and I thought you got what you aimed for spot on, for me anyway. I like the fact the mileage is well spread out, no run is overly loaded. I'm running regularly, which I've done for a while, but for the first time I don't really feel like I am if that makes sense? There are days when I'm tired or the legs feel it a bit but I don't feel like I'm hammering myself, training has stayed very consistent throughout. I think the HR training has had a lot to do with that for me. It slowed me down - my easy pace was slower than I really was happy with if I'm being honest but I think it's paying off.

Nothing really. I didn't do the drills, hill stuff etc from the Friday. With my weekly football and occasional squash I kept most of running days easy and just did the different weekly sessions (5k pace, tempo etc). I added strides to one of my easy short runs every week/2weeks instead. Not sure if that was the right approach but I would like to start adding those in now that I'm in a routine.

At the start it felt too easy but it built up nicely to where I am now where it feels about right.

No, the sessions at first glance made little sense but you have given understandable explanations and answers to questions as asked.

Yes, as above. As someone who had never done any sort of speed work it was a good introduction as well.

Very happy. I feel like I'm improving and I was very happy with my recent 5 mile race. I'm enjoying the different weekly sessions.

Good. It's helped me train and push according to my own limits but the weekly increase and gradual improvements in my own fitness has still seen the distance increase.

As I said, a bit maybe at the start, it felt it started a bit low volume wise but I'm feeling good where I am now and those benefits/reasons I'm enjoying it might be to do with that. I feel like I'm building a really good base and am looking forward to kicking on with my next training with this complete.

I'm up to date with the plan but I have to admit I didnt do all the sessions I should have and I took a week off when I was sick. I'm also planning on doing the k club 10k so it would be great to have a plan for it.

Not this year but will aim to do the half in the race series.

I've found it great. I needed something to keep me going once the marathon was over but I wasnt ready to do a race specific plan so this was just right. Plenty of easy running but a bit of speed to keep it interesting. I liked the way it could be tailored depending on how many days a week I could run

I would say easy at first but gets harder.

Not really, your explanations were easy to follow and any questions were answered quickly.

Yes, I did the parkrun last week and was delighted with my progress.

I find it great. I'm very limited for time so it suits me to have a fixed time so I know what time I'll be back. I really like the running by heart rate too. I found myself running a lot slower but that's probably what I needed. When conditions weren't great I just kept the heart rate steady and stopped worrying about pace. I'm finding now I can guess my heart rate and hardly have to check it now.

I did think it was going a bit slow but now I appreciate a slow steady increase. I trained way too fast for the marathon and although I didn't get injured I did have a lot of aches especially after my long (not so slow) runs. Now I hardly get any aches and my legs feel much stronger.

Thank you very much for all your work clearlier, its been great to be able to ask for advice.

Clearlier;94428123]Being aware that plenty of people have started at later dates I'm wondering how far everyone has got in following the plan? Back at the start of this thread I mentioned that I planned to put together a more race specific section after this was completed. Is there any interest in that? If so, can you let me know what race(s) you're thinking of targeting please?

Longer term, how many are thinking about doing DCM '15? Nope!

I'm only on week 2 but am loving it so far, love having a structure to my running and its not so hard its off putting.
    too early for hindsight but so far wouldnt change anything, although, I havent yet done the drills....
    Has it been too easy/difficult? I've been amending it to suit my fitness level so its not too difficult, but if I had to do the exact plan I wouldn't be able for it!
    Has there been anything that has been difficult to understand? No, your instructions are clear and easy to follow.
    Has the plan been easy to follow? yes.
    Are you happy/disappointed with where you are at the moment? yes but I'm moving in the right direction...
    I'm really enjoying this part although the control freak in me hates seeing distances that are incomplete :-) enjoying learning to run by HR too and seeing the different results of pace/HR compared to how it felt while running.

There was a definite decision not to push the increase in training volume too hard with a view to long term development as opposed to short term success. This was partly a response to the marathon training which for most people represented a fairly quick progression in distance. Has it felt like the training load has increased too slowly? My previous training load increased to quickly and look where that got me!! so no..

Really appreciate all the support your're giving us clearlier, its great to have a place to ask questions and compare notes.

race wise, I'm half thinking of doing our local 4 mile at the end of March but if I'm not going to be able to better last years times then I'll skip it. Other than that I've signed up for a half marathon in June while I'm on holidays, if I can't race it I can just run it and enjoy but I would hope to be in good enough shape to have a go at a PB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Hey! My response is guna be short & sweet seen as I never really got going with the plan, but would still like to keep an eye on upcoming plans etc.

I'm wondering how far everyone has got in following the plan?

I have been all over the shop lately so never properly got into the plan, even though I had the best of intentions! Recently joined a club so hoping to start heading along to their club sessions once a week, along with 1 or 2 group runs. My running has been rubbish lately, Jan & Feb seem to have mad months, but really do feel like I need a plan to follow to keep me on track, so thinking I might just start from starch next week again on your plan, which is great by the way.

Race Specific Plan?

I am hoping to target the K Club 10k in early April, and hopefully another 10k or two in the following months, then move onto a targeted HM later in the summer.

DCM '15?

Yes its at the back of my mind alright, but want to see how I get on over the next few months, in particular if I can improve on my HM time first. I suppose it would make more sense to stick with shorter stuff, but another part of me would love another crack at it. Will see how the next few months go.

Has it felt like the training load has increased too slowly?

Cant comment here Im afraid, for the sessions I did do I enjoyed them and found them a good challenge, but I never got stuck into it properly if I am totally honest, my own fault!

To me it seems challenging but do-able, with good progress.

No all seemed ok to me.

Disappointed, feel like I lost my mojo big time after DCM big time, coasted along in Nov & Dec, and was hoping from Jan onwards to get going properly but just hasn’t happened for me, lots going on at the mo but that is no excuse, just gotta get stuck into a plan and get on with it.

Also I think that joining the club will really help with motivation and get me going again. Have missed a few sessions, but again need to get stuck into that properly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

I started the plan well but struggled in 2015, but here is my feedbacke

I'm wondering how far everyone has got in following the plan?

I only got halfway through the plan really before niggles struck. had followed it 80% to that point.

Race Specific Plan?

Who knows? Struggling to a) get fit and b) get motivation to target something, anything.

DCM '15?

part of me wants to be more than a 1 hit wonder, a lot will depend on the next few months; I'm generally around all summer which could lead to me "falling" into marathon training.

Really liked it until I had to stop.

Would definitely focus on the 30 day challenge more than running. Espeically since I was coming off a strong DCM 14 training base.

A refreshing change tbh. Although I still had to convert time to distance to map my running routes before going out. I also ended up going over by a bit on almost every run.

Has it felt like the training load has increased too slowly?

Not really, after the excitement of October, it was nice to take it handy and not feel like a slave to a training programme.

Just right I think.

Easy to follow, some a bit hard to understand but clarification was forthcoming on the forum.

Disappointed. Injured and lacking motivation and generally feeling a bit sorry for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Longer term, how many are thinking about doing DCM '15?:
    I am 110% Doing the DCM in 2015 to erase the pain of the murderous 2014 one! Only a really bad injury or being struck by lightning will stop me :D

I am happy with where I am at the moment, and slowly building up for a HM in the near future, plus an odd Duathlon/Triathlon too.

How have you found running according to time rather than distance?:
    Enjoyed the 'running according to time' versus distance, but I would always keep a eye on 'the distance ran' too....if I am honest.

In a good place at the moment, getting a bit fitter as the weeks are going by and looking forward to the brighter evenings and less wind that we have been fighting with since Christmas....bring it on!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Is there any interest in that? If so, can you let me know what race(s) you're thinking of targeting please?

Yes, I would be very interested. I am looking at the Raheny 10 mile on easter Monday April 6. I will also do the race series and 100% plan on doing DCM15

The plan is going grand, I am bang upto date and love it.

Nothing as I have been running a bit over the time most days as that's what suites me and its what I am used to.
    Has it been too easy/difficult??

Its been fine, I am loving the hill sprints but unfortunately have been doing strides a lot as I cant get to my hill from work and I do most of my running on my break.
    Are you happy/disappointed with where you are at the moment??

Hard to say as I have not gone flat out for anything in a while.
    How have you found running according to time rather than distance??

I like it and agree with the concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭SoundoftheSea

Hi all.
    Back to running this week after a lot of time off because of back and knee problems. Got as far as day 20 on the 30 day challenge and couldn't finish. Anyway just easing back in with 3 x 30 min runs with 3 x 1 min sprints.
    I will jump in to the plan in the next 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Hi Clearlier,
    I have just completed week 3 of the plan, so my comments are limited as a result. However, to your questions above, it's very clear and easy to follow, the explanations in the thread of hill sprints, HRM, etc. have been really helpful. I like training by time, rather than distance, I need to push myself to keep the paces truly easy. The progression in miles has been challenging enough but then I only have 3 consistent weeks done at this stage.

My first 'goal race' is the Cork Half Marathon on June 1st. Would love your advice on a plan for that -- I was planning to do the Hal Higdon intermediate HM but am wondering now whether to just continue with your plan which would pretty much take me to the HM. The first week of the HH would be only about 16 miles, so quite a step back. I will probably do a couple of races as part of the training (Bundoran 10k next week and K-Club 10k).

I hope to do the Dublin Race Series after that, and possibly DCM, all going well.

Any advice welcome for the next 12 weeks or so!

thanks!

Quick question folks, I should have asked this at the start no doubt! I'm just wondering about warm ups and cool downs for some of the sessions on the plan. For the hill sprints and the sessions @5K pace I have done a warm up before hand. Last nights session was 60 mins with 30 @MP, do these types of sessions need a deliberate & separate warm up and cool down? For anyone following this plan what do you do? I don't warm up before the easy pace runs either - I do AIS or dynamic stretching before I leave the house but I'm talking here about warm up laps. Thanks :-)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

For tempo or marathon pace the warm up is included as you have maybe 15 mins easy as a warmup, then 30 mins @ marathon pace and 15 mins easy as cool down, giving a total of 60 mins.

For the hill sprints and 5K pace sessions I would have some easy miles at the start and the finish as warmup and cool down, I wouldn't jump straight into the sprints or the 5K session.

For the easy paced runs I don't do any specific warmup or cool down, outside of post run stretches.

adrian522 wrote: »
    For tempo or marathon pace the warm up is included as you have maybe 15 mins easy as a warmup, then 30 mins @ marathon pace and 15 mins easy as cool down, giving a total of 60 mins.

For the hill sprints and 5K pace sessions I would have some easy miles at the start and the finish as warmup and cool down, I wouldn't jump straight into the sprints or the 5K session.

For the easy paced runs I don't do any specific warmup or cool down, outside of post run stretches.

Adrian has nailed it. Organise the tempo or marathon paced runs any way that you like so long as you have at least 10 minutes to warm up at the start. I personally prefer to get the easy running done first and leave just 5 minutes to warm down at the end but whatever works best for you will do the job.

adrian522 wrote: »

oh ffs that's so obvious when you say it like that!!! instead I did 30 mins easy followed by 30 mins MP :rolleyes: brilliant, thanks Adrian..

• Advertisement

My first ever table entry - 1:59:59 from Bohermeen on Sunday. Had been hoping for a decent improvement alright but was able to push on on the day and nipped in under the two hours by the skin of my teeth. A 13 minute PB so very happy. Clearlier - I've said it before but I'll say it again - loving the plan!!!! :)

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    My first ever table entry - 1:59:59 from Bohermeen on Sunday. Had been hoping for a decent improvement alright but was able to push on on the day and nipped in under the two hours by the skin of my teeth. A 13 minute PB so very happy. Clearlier - I've said it before but I'll say it again - loving the plan!!!! :)

Well deserved Laura! Think I might stick with the Clearlier plan too, and hope it gets similar result for me in cork in June!

I thought that some might be interested to know that the guy who put the 30 day challenge together is doing coaching day in Cork (Mardyke) and Dublin (Tallaght) towards the end of April. Details here. I've been to a session and found it to be pretty good. He does individual coaching too if you have a chronic problem (I'm thinking about trying that).

I thought that some might be interested to know that the guy who put the 30 day challenge together is doing coaching day in Cork (Mardyke) and Dublin (Tallaght) towards the end of April. Details here. I've been to a session and found it to be pretty good. He does individual coaching too if you have a chronic problem (I'm thinking about trying that).

I assume you mean chronic RUNNING problems? ;)

annapr wrote: »
    I assume you mean chronic RUNNING problems? ;)

Are there any other kind of problems?

Well I finally signed up for the kclub 10 k after talking about it for ages! So now I've a proper goal I need to get back to consistent training. I took another week off :-\ so did the step down week last week to get me back into it. That was the last week of the plan though. Clearlier, you said to continue with pace intervals so what would you suggest? I work in km, and am aiming for 50 mins so my goal pace is 5.00 min/km (which is a nice round number!) Looking at workouts online though they're all in miles, like 6x1 mile @10 k pace. Should I just keep running by time and maybe do 6x5 min @10k pace? I was grand doing the 5x5min @5k pace a couple of weeks ago.

chickey2 wrote: »
    Well I finally signed up for the kclub 10 k after talking about it for ages! So now I've a proper goal I need to get back to consistent training. I took another week off :-\ so did the step down week last week to get me back into it. That was the last week of the plan though. Clearlier, you said to continue with pace intervals so what would you suggest? I work in km, and am aiming for 50 mins so my goal pace is 5.00 min/km (which is a nice round number!) Looking at workouts online though they're all in miles, like 6x1 mile @10 k pace. Should I just keep running by time and maybe do 6x5 min @10k pace? I was grand doing the 5x5min @5k pace a couple of weeks ago.

Hey chickey,

Broadly speaking I'll be suggesting shorter intervals at slightly faster than race pace and longer ones at slightly slower than race pace as well as some actual race pace work. Two sessions per week, long run dropped down a little, a little bit of LT work maintained and of course not all of that every week. I need to spend a couple of hours thinking about how to put this together. I see that you have just a few weeks and as we're coming to the end of the plan I'll try and get it done ASAP.

Hi clearlier I'd also be interested in anything you're putting together. Have signed up for the tallaght 5k and terenure 5m in May. Any plans for the 10k would be suitable for the 5m as well would they

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Hi clearlier I'd also be interested in anything you're putting together. Have signed up for the tallaght 5k and terenure 5m in May. Any plans for the 10k would be suitable for the 5m as well would they

Thanks

I'm looking at the same so a +1 for getting use out of such a plan.

• Advertisement

So who's going to be at the k club on Saturday? And what are your goals? I'm going but not expecting much due to a disgraceful lack of running in the last few weeks. I have a list of excuses but I won't bore you with them. Anyway, my hopes of a sub 50 are gone and I'll be happy with 55. I ran 52 in a training run pre marathon but my only official 10k time is the women's mini marathon in 2013 which I did in 79 minutes so I'm pretty much guaranteed a pb!
    We'll have to meet up after the race. I think there's tea and cakes!

Advertisement